MiG E-152M - new 1/72 scale kit from Modelsvit

Finally finished - the latest in Modelsvit's growing collection of one-off MiG prototypes..... this is the MiG E-152M.

e-152m_21.jpg

Apart from a few issues getting the cockpit/intake sub-assembly to fit, the rest was just the normal 'limited run' type of kit from Ukrainian manufacturer Modelsvit.

Great surface detail, comprehensive decal sheet, etched brass parts, self-adhesive masks for the wheel hubs, dielectric panels on the wings and the canopy - but  with the usual large sprue gates with every part needing to be 'fettled' before assembly.

It looks highly accurate and was a pleasure to build.

e-152m_22.jpg

Three wingtip options are included - with dummy (port) and test(Stbd) missiles. The canards can be left off - replaced by a fairing.

e-152m_27.jpg

The centreline drop tank is optional - it was not carried during its few flights.

e-152m_34.jpg

Canards and front-opening canopy - note the HUD.

This latest E-152M is the third 'BiG MiG' from Modelsvit - following their E-150 and E-152A.....

e-152m_36.jpg

All these many prototypes led, eventually, to the successful MiG-25......

e-152m_37.jpg

I hope that Modelsvit will re-issue this kit with markings for the record-breaking E-166...

day06_049.jpg

More photos here.

Ken

• Like 21

3 hours ago, zebra said:

Very nice. Strange looking machine, and those missiles look far too big to go on the wingtips!

They were - MiG had a lot of trouble with wing flexing when the missiles were fired.

They devised a different arrangement with a vertical pylon underneath the wingtip - with a sort of 'winglet' on top.

Modelsvit provide all 3 options - 'Straight' wingtip with no launch rails, the arrangement  have chosen - and the 'winglet' option.

The project never came to fruition - they had moved on to the ultimately successful MiG-25.

Ken

• Like 1

They won't be releasing it with the Monino markings Ken, that question was asked on their Facebook page and they replied.

But that said, I knew it was only time until we see you build it. I wish I had the time...!! Superb as ever Ken, the table at Telford this year will be full of new builds ;)

Flyboy72nd.....

I don't get too hung up about colours - I've seen too many variations of 'VVS Grey' to pin it down to a specific model paint number (although I think AKAN do a 'correct' light grey in their range?)

The real truth is - I'm lazy - so for this model I used a rattle can of Halfords Ford Polar Grey - an acrylic auto spray - which I find a good match for the recommended (Hu 196 BTW).

The photo of E-166 at Monino is a very faded example of the colour - although the restoration volunteers at Monino are not known for the adherence to colour accuracy - so treat the photo with a little caution.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Ken

This one has been at the top of my wish list for years and will arrive soon - ali I have to do is find the time to do a proper job.

One question. In Yefim Gordons book 'Soviet Heavy Interceptors' he attributes the record flights to the 152-1 which seems an odd thing to get wrong. Do you know anything to confirm this? It's the ony place I have seen it.

John

John,

Dunno if the Wiki entry for the Ye-166 is taken from Yefim's source.....

Ye-166 - Fictitious designation of the Ye-152-1, used when registering the world records with the Federation Aeronautique Internationale (FAI). Also applied to the Ye-152M displayed at Monino as an intelligence ruse

Putnams 'MiG Aircraft since 1937' (Gunston & Gordon) sdays...

The Ye-152P was modified as the Ye-152M by removing the missile launchers. Later it was fitted with extended horizontal wingtips etc etc. It never flew with these extensions. Instead, in 1967 it was painted in a red/white display scheme... etc etc displayed at Domodedovo - now at Monino. 

You takes yer money........

Ken

9 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Ye-166 - Fictitious designation of the Ye-152-1, used when registering the world records with the Federation Aeronautique Internationale (FAI). Also applied to the Ye-152M displayed at Monino as an intelligence ruse

With Ken's help,I too have been researching this fantastic beast.

Go with the Ford Polar grey as the easiest option.

The Monino aircraft is not the record breaking Ye-152/1 but  is the Ye-152P  and was a rebuild of the Ye152/2.

Note that some reports say it was an E-152M first then the P but even Yefim's books contradict themselves in some places as they say the P was the stepping stone for the intended M which implies that the M was never built but later pics are labelled Ye-152M and not P.

(Source of info 'Soviet X-planes ',various other Yefim Gordon books and magazine articles.)

This was a big aircraft but look at the size of the Tu-128 which entered service instead!

Meanwhile Mig got quietly on with the Mig-25 and the rest is history

According to 'MiG' by Belyakov and Marmain the 152P was built and flown with missiles on the wingtips. With revised wingtips and canard foreplanes it became the 152M but never flew in this configuration but with the short wing set the world record.

A picture of the Ye-166 is captioned 'Developed from the Ye-152M'.

Belyakov was chief designer for MiG from 1970.

As Ken said 'You takes yer money...'

John

PS. My kit arrived today. Ever since I learned of the existence of the Ye-166 I have wanted a model of it but now I have one I fear it might be bogus...

Ken,

Just opened the kit and saw the intake assembly and one question sprang to mind - did you use the photo etch guide vanes or leave them off? One the 152A I found a plastic equivalents on the sprue and used those but there does not seem to be that option in this kit

John

3 hours ago, John R said:

but with the short wing set the world record.

3 hours ago, John R said:

As Ken said 'You takes yer money...'

Most reports have the record breaker as the E152/1.

The Monino 'Ye-166' which is either an E-152M or P depending on the source was displayed as early as 1967 in grey colour  with the record details below the cockpit on the port side.

Ken correctly gives that reasoning. (The engine incidentley also got a false designation,R-166)

It was repainted in the more elaborate scheme later

The aircraft in whatever designation never flew with the canards fitted or the external fuel tank.The missiles were flown on the wingtips despite                                    indications of flutter and the more elaborate canted wingtip pylon never flew.

As Ken says 'you takes yer money' we will perhaps never really know the details.

Anyone found cockpit photos ?

Richard

On 15/06/2017 at 10:42 AM, John R said:

Ken,

Just opened the kit and saw the intake assembly and one question sprang to mind - did you use the photo etch guide vanes or leave them off? One the 152A I found a plastic equivalents on the sprue and used those but there does not seem to be that option in this kit

John

John,

Having fitted the photo etch parts to the E-152A kit......

mig-e152_17.jpg

..... I decided that. as you cannot see them anyway - and I was struggling to get the cockpit tub/nosewheel bay/nosecone to fit inside the fuselage - I left the ring and vanes off.

The world has not ended since - so it looks like I may have got away with it....:whistle:

Ken

Hi Ken,

I remember that post and wondered if you did the same on the E-152M, or is the fit of the parts sufficiently good to use them.

On my E-152A I found that they needed fettling to get them to fit and during this process they fell off. However there were plastic equivalents on the sprue and these were satisfactory. There are no plastic equivalents in the E-152M - hence the question.

John