Gorbygould's small slice of BoB – WARNING - Rivet-counters are requested to sit down and brace themselves before viewing.

I really like that a lot. You've done a smashing job with all the models, but for me, the billet steals the show. I love the way you've cut it off to display the interior. 

Absolutely brilliant. 

• Like 1

I know that fabric was in short supply but that deck chair looks like it could do with a tad more sag (runs away bravely and dives bravelier for cover).  Seriously though that vignette inside the billet is beautifully done; I really like the posters and dart board.

• Like 1

Awww thanks guys. :blush:

The original idea was to to a full hut, but I couldn't fit it onto a reasonably sized base. That's when I had the idea of a half hut and I sort of got carried away with the project.

Incidentally, a couple of months ago, I was told by another BM member that scratch-building, was “doing modelling on the cheap”. I disagree entirely and I think that doing the hut contents was spurned on by my own bloody mindedness to make some sort of point.

I am happy to get and learn from any criticism (unless it's of the rivet-counter variety). It has been mentioned already on Scalemates that the grass looks too perfect, which I agree with. It's the first time I've done static grass, and I learned a number of things along the way, firstly I should have experimented beforehand. I thought it would be quite fragile stuff, therefore easy to add tyre tracks after-ward, but I can't get the bloody stuff to lie down and stay down now! I also didn't realise it would look as perfectly even as it does, but live and learn. The colour is also much more vivid than I hoped.

3 hours ago, stever219 said:

I know that fabric was in short supply but that deck chair looks like it could do with a tad more sag

I agree with that as well. I got the print from tinternet but printed it too short, but, I thought, nobody's going to notice that…. damn!

Thanks again for all your comments - Gorby.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gorbygould said:

Awww thanks guys. :blush:

The original idea was to to a full hut, but I couldn't fit it onto a reasonably sized base. That's when I had the idea of a half hut and I sort of got carried away with the project.

Incidentally, a couple of months ago, I was told by another BM member that scratch-building, was “doing modelling on the cheap”. I disagree entirely and I think that doing the hut contents was spurned on by my own bloody mindedness to make some sort of point.

I am happy to get and learn from any criticism (unless it's of the rivet-counter variety). It has been mentioned already on Scalemates that the grass looks too perfect, which I agree with. It's the first time I've done static grass, and I learned a number of things along the way, firstly I should have experimented beforehand. I thought it would be quite fragile stuff, therefore easy to add tyre tracks after-ward, but I can't get the bloody stuff to lie down and stay down now! I also didn't realise it would look as perfectly even as it does, but live and learn. The colour is also much more vivid than I hoped.

I agree with that as well. I got the print from tinternet but printed it too short, but, I thought, nobody's going to notice that…. damn!

Scratch building must be the origen from which all modelling evolved from .Im going to go as far as saying ,Modelling in its most purest form , looked at it again and seen even more  :worthy:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gorbygould said:

Gahhhhh!  Modern tech: so unreliable.  You can't beat proper measuring stuff and sharp-bladed implements.  

If you want ruts in the grass you could try using a thin skim of filler on your base, drag some suitably-sized wheels through it before it sets (you might need to make some sort of rig rather than drag your model around) and then apply PVA adhesive and model railway scatter grass.

• Like 1

I think you'll find the grass is the wrong length and type for a WWII RAF airfield............

otherwise.... bl**dy awesome!

• Like 1

I like this.  The inside of the hut was a great idea and my favorite part of the display.   Just one thing though, and if this makes me a rivet counter so be it.  Several anachronisms inside the hut immediately caught my eye.  The airplane in the ID poster above the calendar is either an Me-210 or an Me-410.  The 210 was barely in development during BoB and the 410 not even a glimmer in Willi Messerschmitt's eye at that time.  Not something I'd expect to see on a BoB enemy aircraft ID poster.  Same for the 109F on the other poster.  Other than that, really nice job that captures the feel of the era.  By the way, the gentlemen of the hut are displaying good taste in their choice of actresses on the wall.

Edited by Niles
  • Like 1

S*d the rivet counters; they can all go to Plymouth. When you scroll through the images and see the mess deck stern on and the work that's gone into it; well, that's a whole new dimension. BZ on that one.

• Like 2

A lovely and fun diorama!  I think the pilot running to the plane is a superb touch and I agree about the billet--a wonderful human element.  One thing though...

...where are the darts?  ^_^

• Like 1

The scratchbuilt bits are the best  bits  IMO, and certainly not modelling on the cheap.

My only 'rivet  counter' points would be that it would have been good to do both planes from the same era, (the 32 sq plane is  from July 40, the 242 is from winter 40/41) you could have used two options  from the Italeri sheet to planes of  the same era,  even leading to possibilities of a diverted squadron and pilots chatting.. 

and I'm wondering why you used the 3 spoke wheels on the Italeri kit

(let alone why Italeri even included them :banghead: )...  

and I've just noticed you used the 'ten to two'  smile clock set up so beloved of  clock shops ;) 

Again, the scratchbuilt bits are marvellous, and full of the sort detail that comes out in repeated view.  Stunning work!

cheers

T

• Like 1

Quite excellent.  Love the interior of the hut..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gorbygould said:

I've been working on this for the last few months – this dio is my first born, so be gentle.

It's 1/48 and consists of:

Airfix 'Battle of Britain, Ready for Battle' set (amazingly good value),

Italeri Mk.I Hurricane,

and an entirely scratch built dispatch/billet hut, including corrugated roof & contents.

Hi Gorby,

Fantastic all round. I love the figures and the fantastic hut.

4 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

I probably shouldn't have thought of this but.... RAF pilots Armstrong and Miller on Hurricanes and Spitfires...

Ha! I also thought of Armstrong and Miller, but that was mainly due to the hut (and thinking of Vera Lynn).

Regards,

David

• Like 1