Tiger 1 zimmerit

Engineer66

Hi all, 

i apologise if this has been asked before but I can't find anything after searching.

I'm building the Tamiya mid production Tiger 1 and have decided to attempt to apply zimmerit. I am also planning on removing some of the side 'mudguards/fenders' as damaged.

My question is would the zimmerit have gone all the way down the side to the bottom of the hull side, or would it have been applied behind the side mudguards, (the ones that stick out the side) so if I remove some of the mudguards would the area underneath be covered in zimmerit or not?

thanks

Al

The concept of zimmerit was to defeat magnetic explosive devices. I would imagine it would be difficult to attach one through the roadwheels, so I doubt if it was applied below the fenders.

Looking at some period photos, it does look like zimmerit was applied to the area behind the track guards.  Which make sense as the application was done at the factory, though maybe not likely for those field applied - depends if the crews were ambitious enough to remove the guards first?

F13.jpg

tigerheckzimmerit2.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

Thanks for the replies chaps.

when looking at the tank the gap between the road wheels and fenders is relatively small so the odds of getting a mine in there would be small so I was assuming that field applied zimmerit would not have been applied below the track guards as it would have been a pain to remove and re-fit them. Then I saw the photos posted by Jack and they show the coating going all the way to the bottom behind where the track guards would have been. I've seen quite a few pics showing this and wondered if it was factory applied and would the tanks have had the track guards fitted as there are quite a few pictures showing tanks with no track guards. Where they always fitted?

cheers Al

Tamiya do a sticker set of Zimmermit which is pretty good, its clear so you can see where you need to cut areas out. I've used it once and i would definitely use them again.

On 2017-06-15 at 6:16 AM, Engineer66 said:

...  would the tanks have had the track guards fitted as there are quite a few pictures showing tanks with no track guards. Where they always fitted?

cheers Al

I think only the initial Tigers (those sent to Leningrad in '42) were without track guards.  After that, they became standard issue circa Nov. 42.

See Modification list here:  http://missing-lynx.com/panzer_facts/pftiger.htm

regards,

Jack

Thanks again chaps for the replies.

Ozzy, I've seen the transfer and PE zimmerit but decided to 'do it properly' using 'no-nails' and a Tamiya tool to scribe the pattern...never again! It goes everywhere!

Jack, thanks for the link, really useful, I'm now starting to narrow down the time period.

thinking of leaving the Zimmerit missing from below where the track guards where. My logic is it was applied in the field and the crew couldn't be bothered to remove the guards, since then it has suffered damage and some guards are missing. Hence some missing guards and only zimmerit above where they would have been.

cheers Al

• Like 1