Automatic Air Mail

TheBaron

Hi all,

Doing a bit of research on the Parnall Peto that was used on the M2 submarine (sadly now sitting on the sea floor off the Dorset coast) when I came across some brief information in the April 1931 issue of 'Flying' magazine. 

It wasn't that which caught my eye however but the Jules Verne-ish report on the page below it about automated aircraft. Have a read for yourselves:

2017-06-08_09-26-07

No source for this is given however - perhaps tellingly in this instance. I wondered had the writer been pillaging H.G. Wells, but  The Shape of Things to Come wasn't published until a couple of years later.... 

• Like 4

Crikey Tony, this whole magazine reads like something from Monty Python or the cover of 'Thick As A Brick'.

What a fantastic read, in a couple of meanings of the word :D!

I'm eager to know the rest of the story regarding the swarm of bees, the aircraft, the caucus (how I wish I had been in that) and the result that poor Lieutenant Simonton was nicknamed 'Honey Boy' :rofl:!!

On the serious matter of unmanned aircraft, at a height of 12 miles and dropping mail on London from Paris, by parachute, accurately, at an airspeed of 500mph, in 1931 :frantic:  :bounce:  :shocked:

Given the other articles, is there the slightest chance that in April 1931, the staff of Flight Magazine had been unwittingly drinking a rather unusual batch of Darjeeling :christmas: :elephant: :drunk:?

T

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Given the other articles, is there the slightest chance that in April 1931, the staff of Flight Magazine had been unwittingly drinking a rather unusual batch of Darjeeling :christmas: :elephant: :drunk:?

Did they still have cocaine as an ingredient in Coca-Cola then...wait..it was a French proposal. No doubt absinthe and opium....

• Like 3

1931? Crikey, that's just gone half-past-seven!

Amazon have obviously read this and decided to finally, er, think about delivering the idea?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CedB said:

1931? Crikey, that's just gone half-past-seven!

Amazon have obviously read this and decided to finally, er, think about delivering the idea?

If they delivered it by floatplane launched from a submarine, then I might just consider joining Amazon Prime....

• Like 1

Hello, TheBaron

Without the floatplane and submarine part, but otherwise regular practice in China, although in a somewhat primitive version (final delivery is still done by a courier):

http://corporate.jd.com/whatIsNewDetail?contentCode=6IhXLeeSAFLjLLlyuZatDA%3D%3D

Looks like we are heading towards something between Huxley's Brave New World and Asimov's Caves of Steel. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

On 2017-6-9 at 9:20 AM, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello, TheBaron

Without the floatplane and submarine part, but otherwise regular practice in China, although in a somewhat primitive version (final delivery is still done by a courier):

http://corporate.jd.com/whatIsNewDetail?contentCode=6IhXLeeSAFLjLLlyuZatDA%3D%3D

Looks like we are heading towards something between Huxley's Brave New World and Asimov's Caves of Steel. Cheers

Jure

Fascinating reading Jure. Duly bookmarked.:thanks:

On 2017-6-9 at 9:24 AM, malpaso said:

Errr...it was the APRIL 1931 issue don't forget....

The transatlantic delivery method stated there looks like an uncanny prediction of the V2 however...:ike:

On 2017-6-9 at 10:24 AM, CedB said:

Doh! Fell for it... :doh:

Fret ye not Ced. :dog:

There was a disgraceful article on women pilots in the same issue that I don't unfortunately believe was intended as a joke.

• Like 1