Help me assemble a stash (1/35)

NobleSavage

Here's a list of AFV variants (and one AT gun) that I'm planning to build in the future, where necessary I'm willing to purchase after market parts and might even have a stab at some scratch building to achieve added realism and accuracy, but for sheer out of the box quality which specific kits do you recommend I go for?

• Mk II Matilda IV CS Tamiya - 35300
  • Mk II Valentine II AFV Club - AF35185
  • Pz IV ausf. G (late) Dragon - 6594
  • Mk I Universal carrier Riich Models RV35011
  • Opel Blitz 36 Tamiya - 35291
  • KV-1S mod. 1942 (late) Trumpeter - 01566
  • SU-152 (KV-14) mod. march 1943 Bronco - CB35113
  • BA-20 Hobby Boss - 83882
  • StuG III ausf. F/8 Dragon - 6644
  • Jeep Willys MB (hmg) Tamiya - 35219 (+ Aftermarket 30cal MG)
  • M4A1 Sherman
  • CGMC T28E1
  • SdKfz 250/10 (alt) (DAK 1943) Dragon - 6139
  • SdKfz 251/9 ausf. C (DAK 1943) AFV Club - AF35251
  • 7.62 cm Pak-36(r) Bronco - CB35056
Edited by NobleSavage

I personally wouldn't build one of them out of the box, but for some versions you even have to buy aftermarket stuff and/or scratch build. I marked the ones I just guessed from seeing superficial reviews with an asterisk. All other suggestions are not based on how easy they are build and how good they are engineered, but on accuracy and overall dimensions.

• Mk II Matilda IV CS: Tamiya
  • Mk II Valentine II: AFV Club
  • Pz IV ausf. G (late): Dragon
  • Mk I Universal carrier: Riich*
  • Opel Blitz 36: Tamiya
  • KV-1S mod. 1942 (late): Trumpeter
  • SU-152 (KV-14) mod. march 1943: Bronco
  • BA-20: HobbyBoss*
  • StuG III ausf. F/8: Dragon
  • Jeep Willys MB (hmg): Bronco*
  • M4A1 Sherman: 75: Asuka/Tasca; 76: Italeri or Dragon/Cyberhobby - I would go with the Italeri one, as both need much rework in my opinion. Or wait for Asuka finally doing one.
  • CGMC T28E1: No plastic kit available afaik. Commander Models does a resin conversaition.
  • SdKfz 250/10 (alt) (DAK 1943): Dragon
  • SdKfz 251/9 ausf. C (DAK 1943): AFV Club
  • 7.62 cm Pak-36(r): Bronco*
Edited by Kleio
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

It would also help to know what brand of kit it is. For instance, there are many M4A1's on the market and is that 75mm or 76mm?

John.

Of course, I'll find out specifics for all and update the list.

2 hours ago, JackG said:

Scale?

You can check here for reviews while waiting for others to sound in:

https://www.scalemates.com/

regards,

Jack

Thank for the link.

1 hour ago, Kleio said:

I personally wouldn't build one of them out of the box, but for some versions you even have to buy aftermarket stuff and/or scratch build. I marked the ones I just guessed from seeing superficial reviews with an asterisk. All other suggestions are not based on how easy they are build and how good they are engineered, but on accuracy and overall dimensions.

• Mk II Matilda IV CS: Tamiya
  • Mk II Valentine II: AFV Club
  • Pz IV ausf. G (late): Dragon
  • Mk I Universal carrier: Riich*
  • Opel Blitz 36: Tamiya
  • KV-1S mod. 1942 (late): Trumpeter
  • SU-152 (KV-14) mod. march 1943: Bronco
  • BA-20: HobbyBoss*
  • StuG III ausf. F/8: Dragon
  • Jeep Willys MB (hmg): Bronco*
  • M4A1 Sherman: 75: Asuka/Tasca; 76: Italeri or Dragon/Cyberhobby - I would go with the Italeri one, as both need much rework in my opinion. Or wait for Asuka finally doing one.
  • CGMC T28E1: No plastic kit available afaik. Commander Models does a resin conversaition.
  • SdKfz 250/10 (alt) (DAK 1943): AFV Club
  • SdKfz 251/9 ausf. C (DAK 1943): AFV Club
  • 7.62 cm Pak-36(r): Bronco*

Accuracy of dimensions matters more to me than anything else, thank you for taking the trouble of going through the whole list.

No problem at all.

I just noticed you said Sd.Kfz. 250/10, not 251. So this changes my suggestion to Dragon, as AFV Club doesn't do one. Dragon has some discrepances in it's running gear though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kleio said:

No problem at all.

I just noticed you said Sd.Kfz. 250/10, not 251. So this changes my suggestion to Dragon, as AFV Club doesn't do one. Dragon has some discrepances in it's running gear though.

Thanks again :thumbsup2:

I decided to opt for the Tamiya Jeep, mainly because there are several .30 Cal MG's available for it and I won't be needing trailer or men, other than that I pretty much followed your advice.

For the Sherman I'll wait on Asuka until I decide, and I'll probably leave the CGMC until last, seeing as no one makes the variant I'm after, I imagine getting that one right will involve a fair amount of after market purchases and probably some scratch building, will do some research over the coming months as to which kit to base it on.

Now at least I have a shopping list, just need to turn that into a stash and then turn the stash into a collection of completed models ;)

Edited by NobleSavage

From a personal experience, I can only comment on the Hobby Boss BA-20.   Detail wise, it is the best of what has been put out there, but there are some shape and dimensional issues with the crew cab and turret.  I noticed on Scalemates they have a third boxing now labeled as a new tool, but all I see from comparing sprues is a new front plate for the turret - so it appears the issues remain.

28705895344_98bfe2c257_b.jpg

The corrections done to the kit can be found here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235003210-finnish-vehicle-crew-135-scale-conversion-project-plus-ba-20/

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JackG said:

From a personal experience, I can only comment on the Hobby Boss BA-20.   Detail wise, it is the best of what has been put out there, but there are some shape and dimensional issues with the crew cab and turret.  I noticed on Scalemates they have a third boxing now labeled as a new tool, but all I see from comparing sprues is a new front plate for the turret - so it appears the issues remain.

28705895344_98bfe2c257_b.jpg

The corrections done to the kit can be found here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235003210-finnish-vehicle-crew-135-scale-conversion-project-plus-ba-20/

regards,

Jack

That's great, thank you for sharing this, looks like a lot of work but you've definitely saved me time and effort figuring this out for myself, it's exactly why I joined this forum :thumbsup2:

No problem, just don't follow my mistake when slicing open cab roof.  Should be done from the top, not the side like I did as it then requires filler work from two angles instead  of one.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2017 at 3:34 PM, NobleSavage said:

Here's a list of AFV variants (and one AT gun) that I'm planning to build in the future, where necessary I'm willing to purchase after market parts and might even have a stab at some scratch building to achieve added realism and accuracy, but for sheer out of the box quality which specific kits do you recommend I go for?

• Mk II Matilda IV CS Tamiya - 35300
  • Mk II Valentine II AFV Club - AF35185
  • Pz IV ausf. G (late) Dragon - 6594
  • Mk I Universal carrier Riich Models RV35011
  • Opel Blitz 36 Tamiya - 35291
  • KV-1S mod. 1942 (late) Trumpeter - 01566
  • SU-152 (KV-14) mod. march 1943 Bronco - CB35113
  • BA-20 Hobby Boss - 83882
  • StuG III ausf. F/8 Dragon - 6644
  • Jeep Willys MB (hmg) Tamiya - 35219 (+ Aftermarket 30cal MG)
  • M4A1 Sherman
  • CGMC T28E1
  • SdKfz 250/10 (alt) (DAK 1943) Dragon - 6139
  • SdKfz 251/9 ausf. C (DAK 1943) AFV Club - AF35251
  • 7.62 cm Pak-36(r) Bronco - CB35056

You call that a stash ?.

20 hours ago, cocky05d said:

You call that a stash ?.

This list represents only the models I have so far decided to build, I have no intention of buying scores of kits just to play 'my stash is bigger than yours', firstly because prices fluctuate, some of these kits (and others I have yet decided to build) may come down in price, I will only ever have one build on the go at a time, therefore I will only ever need to have one or two kits in my possession at a time, a WIP and the next project.

However I will buy kits when I find them for a good price, it is possible that I might buy kits not on the list if I see them for a good price, but my aim is to buy and build rather than foolishly collect only to take up space and gather dust in order to win some imaginary contest.

16 minutes ago, Antoine said:

The lattest Tamiya's release should have the edge, by now (35352?).

Yeah, perhaps. Have looked at it, all my builds are intended to replicate specific vehicles, the reason I'm leaning towards the AFV club is it's closer in terms of detailing to the actual tank I'm hoping to replicate.

3 hours ago, NobleSavage said:

However I will buy kits when I find them for a good price, it is possible that I might buy kits not on the list if I see them for a good price,

Oh! no, it's like listening to my wife. Since we've been in France, she's turned into the Promotion Queen. The super markets here are always having promotions, and she can't resist any when it comes to meat. That's why we have SIX (I kid you not) freezers, most of them stuffed full with various cuts of meat. It gives a whole new meaning to the word "stash".

John.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Oh! no, it's like listening to my wife. Since we've been in France, she's turned into the Promotion Queen. The super markets here are always having promotions, and she can't resist any when it comes to meat. That's why we have SIX (I kid you not) freezers, most of them stuffed full with various cuts of meat. It gives a whole new meaning to the word "stash".

John.

It sounds like your wife has a fatal blend of two traits, an eye for a bargain and an inability to resist a bargain haha, I'm alright though, I can walk away without spending. Women are hardwired to hoard, it goes back to our ancestors having to live hand to mouth, never knowing where the next meal was coming from, especially with the men folk quite often failing to even return from a dangerous hunting trip.

• Like 1

i'm finding the title of the thread itself funny!   Surely if you assemble a stash, you just end up with a collection of made up model kits??  :coat::door:

• Like 1

Sir,

I regret to inform you none of the listed kits lend themselves to aftermarket accessories. This in and of itself ensures certain failure of he build process. They will become shelf orphans unworthy of public view. 

That said, if you pack the entire lot in a box and ship same to me, I will ensure all receive a good home.  

:lol:

G

• Like 2

21 hours ago, andygif290368 said:

i'm finding the title of the thread itself funny!   Surely if you assemble a stash, you just end up with a collection of made up model kits??  :coat::door:

You must be new at this. 

One does not simply "assemble" those kits in ones stash.

It takes great care and many years to develop a stash worthy of a "real" model builder. 

You should not play on one's manhood so cheaply. 

G

On 17/06/2017 at 1:15 PM, NobleSavage said:

This list represents only the models I have so far decided to build, I have no intention of buying scores of kits just to play 'my stash is bigger than yours', firstly because prices fluctuate, some of these kits (and others I have yet decided to build) may come down in price, I will only ever have one build on the go at a time, therefore I will only ever need to have one or two kits in my possession at a time, a WIP and the next project.

However I will buy kits when I find them for a good price, it is possible that I might buy kits not on the list if I see them for a good price, but my aim is to buy and build rather than foolishly collect only to take up space and gather dust in order to win some imaginary contest.

Sorry if i have offended you ,the thread seems to have gone off at a tangent as a result ,,if you want to do it a bit cheaply you could try buying second hand kits .

I don't think i am capable of just building one at a time ,don't know how many Aircraft i have on the go ,about 40 1/35 tanks and other Military types .

When i am unsure about how to proceed with a kit ,i put it a side and start another ,for example doing the Dragon 88MM Flak gun with crew ,i am a bit unsure about the legs .

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 4:35 PM, Bullbasket said:

John.

Hilarious..6 freezers full of meat and your moniker is Bullbasket ! Watch out though, you know what women are like....I think we're going to go Vegetarian about next Mercredi or the Dimanche after that !

On 2017-6-17 at 4:35 PM, Bullbasket said:

John.

but can you build a whole animal from the "stash", or just cutaways?