Aoshima HMS Hermes artwork

mick b

Rather like Tamiya including a G4M1 Betty with their 1/700 Prince of Wales kit.

Though to be fair the boxart does reproduce one of the most famous photos of Hermes in wartime.

Edited by Seahawk

Well, one of their issues of the USS Wasp CV-7 also has the ship burning in the background with a submarine very prominent at the front (unrealistically surfaced), and you get the sub as a bonus with the kit. Tamiya did the same with their re-issued USS Indianapolis. I can definitely see the argument for "bad taste", but the Hermes, Wasp and Ark Royal kits are available in several variations and the "sinking" arts are one of at least 3 or 4 box art variations in each case, so that lessens it. Their new Illustrious and Victorious kits have artworks of the ships proudly steaming (although I guess neither of those sank).

Edited by Vlad

7 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Well, one of their issues of the USS Wasp CV-7 also has the ship burning in the background with a submarine very prominent at the front (unrealistically surfaced), and you get the sub as a bonus with the kit. Tamiya did the same with their re-issued USS Indianapolis. I can definitely see the argument for "bad taste", but the Hermes, Wasp and Ark Royal kits are available in several variations and the "sinking" arts are one of at least 3 or 4 box art variations in each case, so that lessens it. Their new Illustrious and Victorious kits have artworks of the ships proudly steaming (although I guess neither of those sank).

Indeed none of the Royal Navy's armoured carriers were sunk, despite the best attempts of the Luftwaffe and Japanese Kamikazes.

thanks

Mike

10 hours ago, Mikemx said:

Indeed none of the Royal Navy's armoured carriers were sunk, despite the best attempts of the Luftwaffe and Japanese Kamikazes.

thanks

Mike

Very true, so I suppose if Aoshima wanted to continue the trend they could have had arts of these ships under heavy fire.

• 3 weeks later...

The kit is pretty new: there is reputedly a better one (or at least a more detailed one) coming from Flyhawk.  As for having the submarine on the surface with the sinking Wasp, if you are going to show both ships in a single piece of artwork then you have to put the smaller one in front of the larger. and a submarine has to be surfaced.  It certainly isn't the only unrealistic piece of art around - everyone showing two aircraft in close proximity is unrealistic, and just whose submarine was it that the Frog Shackleton sank?