TRUMPETER 1/32 MIG 3

A quick verbal update.

I'm certainly glad of the extra week because today has been the first  day since Wednesday that I've been able to do any modelling. I spent an hour looking for a suitable tail wheel fork replacement without success, so I have started to fabricate one using a strip of 20 thou Plasticard which was heated and shaped around a piece of sprue and clamped with a clothes peg where it will stay overnight in an effort to keep it in the correct U shape. Tomorrow  I plan to touch up the red flashes and spray the front half of the spinner, so if all goes to plan I will have some pictures tomorrow evening.

Bye for now

John. :pilot:

• Like 1

Final update.

Very nearly complete now with just the main canopy, exhausts ( nearly forgot them ) and navigation lights to fit. The weathering will be minimal as my reference says that this was a presentation aircraft and as such the finish would have been very clean, but I couldn't resist having some green showing through on the leading edges of the wings and tailplanes. In addition there will be a little exhaust staining and some dirtying of the wing roots on the upper surface and some muddy streaks in and behind the mainwheel wells. I have not fitted the underwing rockets as they needed quite a lot of cleaning up and thinning of the fins and I am running out of time ( surprise, surprise! ). I will probably fit them later for my own benefit.

36325498473_78a23fd590_b.jpg36950161256_af4339babf_b.jpg37139278365_9e2c9488d1_b.jpg

That's it for now, it'll be in the gallery later today.

Thanks for watching

John  :pilot:

SWMBO says I always leave thing until the last minute. I don't know what she means!

• Like 4

Very nice MiG-3, John! I agree with Dennis - the MiG-3, with that aft-mounted cockpit and big inline engine looks like a racer. It was the fastest aircraft in the world when it entered service (with the exception of its predecessor, the MiG-1, which it was a development of), but unfortunately it also manouevred like a racer!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional information added.
  • Like 1

Thanks guys,  yes it does look like a racer. It was a pretty hassle free build on the whole, if a bit simplified. If I hadn't got complacent about the time and eased of a little in the middle I might have been able to add a little more detail, but my main aim was to reach the deadline which I ( only just ) did.

Back to the Spitfire now.

Cheers

John

• Like 2