The Day The Devils Dropped In; 9 Para at the Calvary Cross

For those unfamiliar with this legendary action:

On the night of 5/6th June 1944, 9 Para, led by Lieutenant Colonel Otway, jumped into Normandy tasked with the destruction of Merville Battery situated on the east flank of the invasion bridgehead.  The battery, with 4 large calibre guns set in a well fortified position, posed a severe threat to Allied soldiers landing later that day on the beaches.

The Paras were widely scattered in the drop, with only 150 men, out of the more than 600 expected, assembled in time for the assault, and without heavy weapons or the equipment needed to achieve the mission.

In the best traditions of the Parachute Regiment (or maybe in fact helping to create them), the Paras cracked on and despite heavy casualties achieved the mission, entering the casemates and destroying the guns.  Out of the 150 men, only 75 emerged alive from the hand-to-hand fighting.

The re-org point was a Calvary Cross situated at a small crossroads, around a mile south from the battery, where the Paras gathered with their walking-wounded and some prisoners, to rest and take stock before moving on to the next task.

Such was the severity of the fighting and shock of battle, that Sergeant Daniels noted Colonel Otway ‘sitting on the steps of the Calvary, with his head in his hands.  He had been through a tremendous amount.  To take what few men he had in to attack that battery, was beyond human expectancy’.

My small diorama is an interpretation of that scene at the Cross at around 05.00, with the Colonel sat on the steps.  There had been a bomber raid prior to the attack but it had mostly missed the battery, and a photograph taken at the time shows the trees at the crossroads stripped of foliage and branches scattered around the area, presumably blasted by the missing bombs. 

This photograph can be found in Neil Barber’s book ‘The Day The Devils Dropped In’ although unfortunately I don’t think I can post it here due to copyright; I would recommend this book, as I would also recommend a visit to Merville Battery museum itself, especially the sound and light show in Casemate 1, which is highly evocative of the combat that occurred that night.

The figures are mostly Wee Friends, some Verlinden and Masterbox and The Cross is from AGV models.

861dd6ed-786d-400a-94bf-f136dab84a2e_zps

4f56ce6d-d077-4a47-a570-70fdb76910b9_zps

9e8608e1-1530-40d8-a7b8-b259d34f4133_zps

bf6af336-f93e-40a6-b2c4-98cc62ba2e0a_zps

7059c412-ea20-45dc-8836-091673148ce6_zps

8a911118-ab51-4fb0-a25d-dd29e95c604d_zps

007_zpsp8kjpfb8.jpg

015_zpsobpsa9jb.jpg

018_zpssofa9aco.jpg

019_zpsfjjawnxo.jpg

And the Cross as it looks today:

Normandy March 2016 184

• Like 28

A great little 'vignette'. Lovely figures there, well posed, with a nice job on the camo jackets and equipment. The groundwork is absolutely superb, very realistic. The use of a backdrop really helps to place the scene and makes for some excellent photos.

My only criticism would be the eyes. It's always the eyes. I never even attempt them. If they are even 2 percent wrong, they look wrong. Having said that 80 percent of the time it's down to bad 'sculpting' by the designer, and 15 percent of the time down to bad wear on the moulds at the manufacturers

Rearguards,

Badder

Nice job, I read the mannor of men last year couldn't put it down. I'm off to France the end of June, one of our stops is the Merville Battery.

• 1 year later...

Finally found time to add to this.  We were back in Normandy for the commemorations in June and met up with a re-enactor group in Gonneville.  They gave us a fantastic guided walk of DZ V and the surrounding area of Merville.  Many of the re-enators are currently serving paratroopers, curiously in the Dutch army, and also a senior NCO from the Parachute Regiment.

Here's a couple of pics.  I have more to post if requested, just not sure if this is the right place.

• Like 7