British Airways Concorde, Revell 1:72

Beautiful build of a very iconic aircraft Neil!  I commend you for undertaking this kit, and I would like to see how you did it so I too can follow your pointers when I break this kit out!

I only wish this beautiful Speedbird was still flying the blue skies today!

On 06/06/2017 at 15:52, Gimme Shelter said:

Cor - this is great modelling and considering its a bitch of a kit I'd say you have turned out a masterpiece given the annoying inaccuracies

Glad you chose our colours - Concorde's tail was made to carry the Union Jack

I thought the same until my French friends criticised my choice, so to shut them up, I've now got the Air France one alongside it!

• 3 months later...

Well done, the quality of the model out of the box may not be 100% but yours is a fine looking job,it does inspire me to get one. It’s a pleasure to look at. Wingers get back in your box of perfect models!

On 04/06/2017 at 4:32 PM, neilg said:

Give it ago, it wasn't as a bad a build as I was expecting, especially after having read many negative reviews.

For me, the size was actually easier, since there are fewer fiddly bits.  Even the antennas and various probes are large enough to install with fingers, instead of needing tweezers.

As for where to put it... that's what I'm currently asking myself for the Air France one.

I'm thinking of doing it gear-up, and resting on a stand (not the kit-supplied one because it requires a hole to be cut between the main landing gear doors).  I'm wondering if my chest of drawers is large enough to accommodate two side-by-side...

A lovely build Neil.

I'm currently wrestling with one & am doing it gear up to be on the stand with nose & gear up. The problem I've found is that the landing gear doors don't fit very well when closed & need yet more filler or re-making with plastic card. It certainly is a taxing kit & if mine turns out as well as you'rs I'll be delighted - and surprised.

Pete

43 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

A lovely build Neil.

I'm currently wrestling with one & am doing it gear up to be on the stand with nose & gear up. The problem I've found is that the landing gear doors don't fit very well when closed & need yet more filler or re-making with plastic card. It certainly is a taxing kit & if mine turns out as well as you'rs I'll be delighted - and surprised.

Pete

I did do an Air France version, wheels-up, and I didn't have much of an issue with the gear doors, but I noticed that one of the MLG doors has a bit of a noticeable gap:

IMG_2292

I didn't realize until I took the photo, maybe the lighting makes it look worse than it is.

Wheels up does look sleek!!

1 hour ago, Devilfish said:

Lovely job! 

I've just swapped an Airfix Nimrod for one of these, which I intend to do as a Bomcorde what if, once I have collected all the relevant parts I need

What's a Bomcorde?  A bomber version?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lindan said:

Well done, the quality of the model out of the box may not be 100% but yours is a fine looking job,it does inspire me to get one. It’s a pleasure to look at. Wingers get back in your box of perfect models!

I think, honestly, the finished result is worth any inaccuracies that the kit may have, and I have never sat down and looked at it and thought, that isn't right - this isn't right - this is too big - that's too far aft...

I think the finished kit captures the curves, the grace, the elegance, and that's what I wanted to show.  

I'm contemplating my third!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, neilg said:

What's a Bomcorde?  A bomber version?

Yes. It was a proposed version, by the British government.  It was never seriously followed up, but it makes an interesting concept.  I will change the exhausts for military style ones, and fit nuclear weapons, most likely stand-off missiles.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Devilfish said:

Yes. It was a proposed version, by the British government.  It was never seriously followed up, but it makes an interesting concept.  I will change the exhausts for military style ones, and fit nuclear weapons, most likely stand-off missiles.

Hope we get to see the build of that!

• 1 year later...

I've found a video I made of the nose mechanism, for those interested in how it works.

It is a very fragile mechanism, being made from the clear plastic, which is very easy to break.

Not really a civil fan but who can fail to be impressed by Concorde. Lovely build. Often went on coach trips from sunny Manchester back in the seventies to various air shows and the first stop was often Heathrow. Didn’t do much for me but just loved to see a Concorde. Nicely modelled. 

25 minutes ago, petetasker said:

Not really a civil fan but who can fail to be impressed by Concorde. Lovely build. Often went on coach trips from sunny Manchester back in the seventies to various air shows and the first stop was often Heathrow. Didn’t do much for me but just loved to see a Concorde. Nicely modelled. 

Thanks, I've actually just started getting into military stuff now after years of civil - but I have another 1:72 Concorde upstairs waiting for its turn on the bench!!

• 1 year later...

Several years after completing this Concorde, I have noticed the decals have started to crack:

IMG_2268

It mainly seems to be on the tail decals, the others are still in good shape.

Does anyone know why this has occurred?

On the underside of the rudder actuator, the red decal has started to flake off, which is strange as I used Decalfix and gloss varnish over the top.

Very nice Concorde Neil!

How did you achieve those vast areas of white finish ????   An airbrush or a few white paint rattle cans used outdoors?

The cracking of the decals is very unfortunate. Did you apply a gloss clear varnish coat over the entire model when finished?  Decals dry up and crack when not protected and sealed with varnish.

Cheers, Meindert

FYI:  IPMS.NL has published my  Concordes at le Bourget Walk around here....

3 minutes ago, meindert said:

Very nice Concorde Neil!

How did you achieve those vast areas of white finish ????   An airbrush or a few white paint rattle cans used outdoors?

The cracking of the decals is very unfortunate. Did you apply a gloss clear varnish coat over the entire model when finished?  Decals dry up and crack when not protected and sealed with varnish.

Cheers, Meindert

FYI:  IPMS.NL has published my  Concordes at le Bourget Walk around here....

Hi, Meindert, 

I used several 500 mL rattle cans of appliance gloss white from an automotive store in the UK, and sprayed it outside over several days of good weather and no wind.

I applied several coats gloss varnish over the whole model before I applied the decals, and again after.

I don't think I've seen cracking like this before, which is why I don't understand why it's occurred on this model - and at this size!

They are some good photos there - I lived in Paris for six years, and I had the chance to visit the two Concorde aircraft at Le Bourget several times during the Paris Air Show.

There is also another Concorde at Musée Delta, near Paris-Orly, which was undergoing restoration.  It looked in pretty bad condition when I saw it.

13 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Nice model and very huge. Well about the cracking decals, do your model display in direct sunlight? Maybe thats the reason.

I've had my model on a coffee table in the center of my lounge, which does not receive any direct sunlight.

It was in a shipping container for four months, so I don't know if there was any temperature or humidity variations inside, but it was with the rest of my furniture and electronics, which survived.

I've never seen cracking like this before, which is a shame on a model that all visitors want to see up close.

I'm sure I could touch it up carefully with a fine brush, but I don't know what could have caused it.