Humbrol clear varnishes in an airbrush

BIG X

I have been using the gloss version of this...

ac7431-humbrol-clear---125ml-bottle.jpg

...with a broad flat brush for a month or two now - prior to decaling and I've been very happy with the results so far.  I just wondered - does anyone use it through an airbrush.  If so - does it work just as well and  can anyone recommend the matt or satin versions.  Advice and opinions as always - gratefully received.

Thanks - Steve

Hello Steve

I've used Humbrol Clear gloss undiluted it in my airbrush and it goes on ok. I have to say though that while it's easier to get a nice uniform finish, I can't seem to get a really high gloss when spraying. I actually find I can get a glossier finish by brushing on several coats.

I've not used the matt or satin versions as I use W&N Galeria, which also sprays very well.

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Ian

I have to agree it works brilliant with a brush and maybe it needs a few coats with an airbrush - but I'll need to experiment.  I was looking at W&N Galeria and I thought I could get it at Hobbycraft - but the only Galeria stuff they had was in the clearance area and no varnish to boot.

Can I ask - what did you use to clean the airbrush with the humbrol - I simply use water when brushing - so assume water / airbrush cleaner for the airbrush?

Also - what cleaners are required for the W&N Galeria stuff?

Thanks for coming back,

Steve

Hi Steve

Yes I use water for both the Clear and the W&N stuff. I flush it out quickly and then finish off with Vallejo airbrush cleaner. No problems so far.

Btw I got my Galeria from Amazon. Nice big pot which should last ages.

Edited by IanC
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, IanC said:

Hi Steve

Yes I use water for both the Clear and the W&N stuff. I flush it out quickly and then finish off with Vallejo airbrush cleaner. No problems so far.

Thanks Ian,

That would be my preferred method of cleaning too.  I have some credit on amazon - so I'll take a look.

Thanks a million - Steve

• 1 year later...
On 04/06/2017 at 21:28, IanC said:

Hi Steve

Hello, sorry for coming to this late but after reading this thread I've just ordered myself a half litre pot of W&N. How many coats and at what pressure do you usually spray it? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 09:10, BP85 said:

Hello, sorry for coming to this late but after reading this thread I've just ordered myself a half litre pot of W&N. How many coats and at what pressure do you usually spray it? 

Sorry for the late reply - I spray a single coat - but quite heavy - until it goes 'shiny' - that sounds crazy but I know I've got it all covered and it does dry to a dead matt in a very short period of time.  Pressure wise I spray everything at a very low 15 - which drops to about 8 when you get going.

I hope that helps - Steve