The ultimate 1/35 WW2 AFV kits (& the doozies)

NobleSavage

In terms of quality of the sprues, level of detail on the parts, accuracy of finished model when compared to real thing etc, what in your esteemed opinions are the best WW2 AFV kits in 1/35 scale?

Also, judging by the same criteria which are the worst and are to be avoided at all costs? and why? :popcorn:

I am no expert, merely a keen amateur, but for me if it has the word "Tamiya" in it somewhere I'm pretty confident I'm on to a winner. Some of the newer stuff can be expensive I admit but a lot of the older stuff is available at good prices.

• Like 1

I would hard pushed to state what is the ultimate as you can always add etch, brass etc. However out of the box Riich is probably the best?

My preferences are AFV Club, Riich, Takom and Bronco.

As I mainly build British these fill most of my wants armour wise.

Old kits are normally the worst but it can be budget dependant so if you want a representation these are great value as you can pick them up cheap under the table at shows.

Neil 

• Like 1

I think it depends on what subjects you want to model.

For example, if you want a Valentine then you have a choice of the AFV Club ones or the new Tamiya release. There are also the MiniArt kits but they have shape and dimension errors whilst Bronco also have two in their range (late version and an OP tank) but I don't know how good they are terms of shape and Bronco's your only choice if you want to do a Bishop (I think).

Mike.

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking more along the lines of specific kits, junko mentioned AFV club, just bought one of their kits, did a fair amount of research and it seems to be universally accepted that if you want to build a Churchill they do the best out of the box kits.

But who makes the best Sherman M4A1? Judging by the quality of sprues, accuracy of the models dimensions, levels of detail etc which manufacturer makes the best Pz IV ausf G? And by the same criteria which kits should definitely be avoided?