An Idiot's Guide to Posting Photos from Village Photos.

Bullbasket

EDIT by Mike:

Since this thread was posted, Village Photos have allowed their security certificate to lapse, which means that photos from their site won't show up on the majority of forum sites, so they're now a bad idea as of July 2022.  If this changes in the future, we'll re-open the thread, but in the meantime it's closed and we wouldn't suggest you use them to host your photos for Britmodeller.  Thanks to @Bullbasket for the original thread, and for reminding me to let people know they'd gone "odd".

An Idiot's Guide to Posting Photos from Village Photos.

A lot of people, myself included, have had trouble posting pictures when first signing up to BritModeller. Let me say right from the word go that you can NOT post photos directly from your computer to BM for reasons that have been explained elsewhere. You need to have an account with a hosting site such as Village Photos, Photobucket, Flickr etc. This “How to” guide is aimed specifically at Village Photos as although they do carry adverts, they are small, unobtrusive and don't slow the site down.

So, the first thing to do is sign up to Village Photos. I'm not going to walk you through that because that really is teaching my Dad's Mum to suck on something expelled from a chicken.

Once you're signed up, the first thing to do is to check the size of your photos. My camera takes photos which are 4608 x 3456. I use Paint to open my photos on the computer and the first thing to do is resize them. If I've got a whole load of photos that I'm going to upload to VP, I copy and paste them into a separate folder and just work on them. That way, if I want the photos in their original size for any reason, I've got them.

OK, so the photos that are to be uploaded to VP, I reduce to 20%. This gives them a size then of 922 x 692 which is well within the maximum size required by BM, which is 1280x850.

1.The next thing to do is log into your account with VP. You should be presented with a page that has your user name in the top left hand corner. Below that should be a large oblong box with a blue banner at the top with the words “Your Portfolio”. Two thirds of the way down that box is a small blue banner with the words “Create New Album”. Left click on this.

63224de8-a34d-46d7-b9c1-1f357e8fcf5f.png

2.Up comes a page with “Manage Album” in the top left corner with “Describe This Image” below it. There are a number of boxes to fill in, but the only one that is required is the first one, “Album Name”. Once you've filled that in, scroll down to the small blue banner with the word “Save” in it. When you hover the cursor over this, it turns red. Left click.

e0372671-ff76-445c-9c8c-c400c389ef0c.png

3.At the top right corner of the page, left click on the drop down box which says “My Account” and then left click on “My Portfolio”. Scroll down and you should see a manila folder with the album name beneath it. Bear in mind that what you are seeing here is my account with my photos on it. Initially, yours will just have the manila folder. Left click on the folder.

b0f2233d-357e-4816-b3fc-1f9d63dce260.png

4.A page appears with your album title with “Manage This Album” on a blue banner below it. Just below that is the word “Browse” arrowed in red. Click on that and it will take you into your files.

5.Chose the photo that you want to upload and open it. This will take you back to the previous page. Next to “Browse” it says “Upload” arrowed in yellow on a blue button which will turn red when the cursor hovers over it. Click on it and the photo should upload to your album within 5 seconds.

684e4ed1-1b70-4d52-8c73-69e9857d2b9c.png

6.Now, to get your photo from your album to wherever you want it on BM, you need to click on the album and then click on the image that you want to post. This opens a page with “Manage this Image” on a blue banner.

7.Go down to where it says “Image URL” and drag the cursor along the image URL until it is highlighted in black. Right click on it, copy and then go to the page on BM where you want it, and then paste it. The image URL will appear briefly before changing to the photo.

708dcbe1-83e3-43e5-b5f8-91e9e2e967a4.png

8.And you're done. This is a long winded explanation of what is basically a very easy procedure.

Have fun.

John.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

It all sounds like a right pain in the bottom.

I would like to post some pics, or do a build-thread but I want to upload straight from the PC.  The hassle with Photoshop and Flkr etc just puts me off. 

Edited by cybershed
Fixing a typo

25 minutes ago, cybershed said:

would like to post some pics, or do a build-thread but I want to upload straight from the PC.

The only way that this site could do that if it had a large injection of money for the huge servers that would be required to store the vast quantity of data.

Give it a try, it looks more of a hassle than it is - when you get used to it, it's easy.

13 hours ago, cybershed said:

It all sounds like a right pain in the bottom.

There's an old saying that's very true in this case, and that is "don't knock it until you've tried it". If you knew me then you'd know that I am a Luddite with my feet firmly planted in the steam age, so if I can master this, most people should have little trouble. Try it. As Gorby has explained, posting photos directly from your computer isn't going to happen. So a hosting site is the only way. Look at it this way. This site is chocker block with photos that members have posted using one hosting site or another, so they've all gone through the respective processes. It may seem as though it's a bit of a "pain in he bottom", but that's because I set it out as an "idiot's guide" so that everyone should be able to follow it. Give it a try.

John. 

• Like 1

Did any of you have luck re-ordering photographs within a folder? I tried the Manage Images thing where you supposedly drag the images down the list, but despite saving the changes, it just stuck them in random orders. Quite frustrating when you have things that need to be sequenced.

I've shot them an email, but my first impression is that it doesn't really work properly. I'm glad I just tried the one folder and didn't go on a re-upping frenzy!

Deserve an OBE there John. Very kind to spend your time for others.

From the disaster which has occurred over the last 24 hours with Photobucket your

tutorial is going to be well used.

Do you know John if VP is excepting they are used for 3rd party hosting. Heard to day the Imgur

stop it if they come across it and stop it.

Laurie

• Like 1

Good point @LaurieS. Just had a look at their T&C and looks like they aren't happy about it:

License to use website

Unless otherwise stated, Village.Photos and/or its licensors own the intellectual property rights in the website and material on the website. Subject to the license below, all these intellectual property rights are reserved. You may only VIEW content stored on this website for your own personal use, subject to the restrictions set out below and elsewhere in these terms and conditions. You must not:

• republish material from this website (including republication on another website);
  • sell, rent or sub-license material from the website;
  • show any material from the website in public;
  • reproduce, duplicate, copy or otherwise exploit material on this website for a commercial purpose;
  • redistribute material from this website [except for content specifically and expressly made available for redistribution.

Where content is specifically made available for redistribution, it may only be redistributed as expressly permitted in writing.

When I first registered with VP I was unaware that 3rd party hosting was an issue, but now with all of the problems with PB, I'm wondering which hosting site, if any is ok with this.

John.

• Like 1

The front page of the VP site looks like this

75a8b3be-abfc-4f75-94d6-7d786536b4a5.JPG

The blue bit reads thus;

Village.Photos

Login
    Register
    Search
    Help

Upload, Manage, and Share Your Photos
Follow Village.Photos on Facebook Follow Village.Photos on Google Plus
Built for Every Day Users

Village.Photos is your number one destination for storing and sharing your images online. Create an account and have your first image uploaded in less than 60 seconds! Drag and drop multiple images at once, or on older browsers you can upload them one by one.

Direct linking (hotlinking) is allowed, even encouraged, with no restrictions. Use Village.Photos to manage your eBay sales, to post your images on EZ Boards, vBulletin systems or other forums. Embed them or link them into your marketing email blasts, and more.
Register for free »

So it would seem that our purposes are not a problem.

John,the setup VP use is a bit chaotic,do you know if there's a method of creating subfolders so that RFIs and WIPs can be separated but kept in a folder for the year?

I think the bit Gorbygould is worried about is their own stuff - logos, layouts etc.  Alex is reading directly from the T&Cs, so Alex wins this one IMHO :)

Can I just say that when Bullbasket came to me and offered to write an FAQ for VP, I didn't realise just how much extra use it was going to be.  Well done that man, and just in time too! :clap2:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex Gordon said:

John,the setup VP use is a bit chaotic,do you know if there's a method of creating subfolders so that RFIs and WIPs can be separated but kept in a folder for the year?

Sorry Alex, it's not something that I've ever tried to do so the answer is, I don't know. But I can see how it would be useful.

John.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Can I just say that when Bullbasket came to me and offered to write an FAQ for VP, I didn't realise just how much extra use it was going to be.  Well done that man, and just in time too! :clap2:

If you can read this up there (or down there) Mr. Searle (my old science teacher), see.............I'm not completely useless. :o

John. 

No worries old chum,just a thought.Someone will come up with the answer I'm sure.

As an aside I've been having a dig around and just given this site a go http://imghst.co/

There's no structure or folders or signing up but it seems straightforward and gives hotlink urls as standard.I don't yet know what the catch is.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think the bit Gorbygould is worried about is their own stuff - logos, layouts etc.

Looks like it,thanks Boss.,

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I think the bit Gorbygould is worried about is their own stuff - logos, layouts etc.  Alex is reading directly from the T&Cs, so Alex wins this one IMHO

I've only just graduated from penguin books, so legalese is beyond me. I'll just go and stand in a corner and make incoherent noises. :dunce:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using VP since the PB ransom demand without any problems, until today. Direct linking isn't working :( 

Anyone else having this problem?

As far as I know, you're the 4th to have this problem. Can I ask, anyone having this problem with VP's, are you using the new BM or the old one (like me) ?

John.

:hmmm: Best wait a while to see if it's a problem their end then.  Could be that they're feeling the pressure of everyone jumping from the wreck of the SS Photobucket following her impact with the greed iceberg :owww:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, activexp said:

I'm using the new look BM (didn't know you could choose versions).

You couldn't until fairly recently.  The new "desktop" version is our somewhat delayed new 10 year anniversary makeover :)

• Like 1

I had a problem a couple of days ago. I used to go to the photo, then highlight and copy the 'image URL', then just paste it into the BM post.

That doesn't work anymore, but yesterday I found that if you go to the the photo album that the photo is in (the page that shows all the photos that are in the album), right-click the photo you need and select 'Copy image address' then it does work.

I'll try it again...

tn_8b82627e-d6f1-43aa-8c49-fecb05b8adfe. 

Yes, still works

The only problem with that for me is, when I right click the image in the album (left click in my case as the mouse is set up for left hand use), copy image address does not come up. Tried others in case it's worded different, but no joy.

John.