Top Gun 2

BlackAck

I hope so too.  The air to air scenes made the movie (despite the glaring use of american aircraft as the MiGs).  I wonder if they'll use F-18 or even the JSF... 

Edited by BlackAck

They should just leave it..............the original can not be beaten. It worked in the 80's I don't think they can make it work again, Top Gun is a classic.

• Like 2

At the cost per flying hour of a JSF/Super Hornet: I guess everything in the air would be CGI. Or expect the scenes to be cut from hundreds different, already existing scenes, so expect the aircraft to change registration every two seconds.

Alex

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, speedy said:

I hope they use real aircraft and not too much CGI.

That will mean filming in Iran.

No other nation flying the only decent aircraft...

None of that CGI malarkey either.

(Certainly can't use f-18 hornets or the movie would have to be Top Target!)

Yes, I kind of like Turkeys...:lol:

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

There is not a lot to go on all we can do is hope that it is not so corny and factually correct, as much as I liked the film it was the planes and the air to air scenes that I enjoyed.

How can you forget Kelly McGillis....

• Like 4

Hello

Thank you, Nigel Bunker. I hoped that some lucky bunch of weekend aviators still occasionally take their F-14s for a spin (bad choice of words, I know), preferably from an aircraft carrier. Head in the clouds, I, too, enjoy watching flying scenes at home, although there is no comparison to a proper cinema experience. My admiration for actual pilots, who with their F-14s and F-5s managed to stay in those ridiculously small cubicles of sky for camera shots, grows every time I watch that DVD, as does my admiration of a pilot (I do not remember his name, unfortunately), who about half a century ago in Blue Max flick flew Dr.I replica under a fairly narrow arc of a bridge.

Vince1159, one can hardly forget Kelly McGillis, although I usually skip over her somewhat unconvincing scenes with Maverick. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, mixed feelings about this one really!!! The original film was one of the things which got me hooked on all things plane related (The Dambusters being the main factor though). If they can get a good storyboard about it and do the original air to air footage justice then maybe it will work. If they don't then I fear a huge flop!

On 03/06/2017 at 20:45, Head in the clouds. said:

Believe you me I have not but this is a family forum after all:o

In order to retain your rose tinted view of Miss McGillis, do not Google her. :fraidnot:

I'm fairly apathetic about the whole thing, but I'm hoping that they'll at least put some superb air-to-air sequences in amongst the :blah: to make it worth watching.  You can bet your boots it'll be corny as hell with some serious deviations from the laws of physics, aerodynamics and good story telling, so the sooner we get that integrated into our expectations, the less we'll be disappointed ^_^ 

• Like 3

On 03/06/2017 at 10:15 AM, Britman said:

I  can't watch that film anymore, it's just so full of c#@p and bull! Leave the subject alone , please no more Top Gun films :dalek:

I'm with Britman.

Garbage when it first aired and garbage now. Another re-make will i'm sure be just more garbage.

Only my opinion of course.

• Like 1

There'll probably be air to air scenes showing an F-14 one second and then a Sabre next.. and back to the F-14...both being flown by a new Maverick at the same time:blink:

On 2017-6-3 at 5:12 PM, Vince1159 said:

How can you forget Kelly McGillis....

That is what I was going to say,....... as a young soldier at the time this film came out she was the highlight,.....although the planes were quite good too!

• Like 2

Hello

Looks like it. Probably activated by a sonar on the top of Maverick's helmet or a laser range-finder in Goose's camera. At the same time, ventral fins would extend, so Maverick could still control the aircraft, and Goose could take nice, sharp photo of hapless ˝MiGs˝ back-seat driver. Oh, there is so much that still could not be revealed about the Cold war technology.

Perhaps Top Gun 2 is going to be about drone pilots, fighting and romancing in virtual reality? Many youths these days would relate to such characters. Also, with such a plot CGI would be the real thing, so no problems there either. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

Plenty of Soviet/Russian aircraft about in the west to play the part for real these days. I'd be happy to see a Top-Gun 2 as a new film rather than a remake of the old one, I mean the story can't be that difficult to write surely? Starts with some action scene with a hard lesson learned, followed by a beasting from the top brass, love interest, love interest, love interest, lots of action, thrills and spills, tense moments, slight tragedy and jeopardy followed by love interests and then final scene where lesson learned is put into action in great crescendo, boy gets girl and medals. Geeze, even I could write this stuff and I thought Kelly McGillis was one of the Birmingham 3. :facepalm:

I bet if they weave the USAF into the story as well as the navy, you'd get lots of 'sexy' aircraft to play with like the F-22 and F-35 (take your pick as to which service). It doesn't have to be super accurate, it's for the mass market and not us nerdy enthusiasts ;).  Top-Gun was a huge recruiting tool for the navy for quite a few years so I'm sure the forces would be surprisingly cooperative with aircraft. Lots of reheat, tight turns, even tighter knickers, pretty faces, bombs'n'guns and ejaculaxxxxx ejections, ...that's got to be a commercial winning formula? :D:D