Hi All,

My first contribution/attempt to this GB will be this.....

34225514183_bfb512076a_c.jpg

Can't tell you anything about the provenance of the kit - Only that it's short run and 1:72 scale

A bit more about the actual aircraft can be found Here

First job was to start the cockpit.

34918136691_1593d518e1_c.jpg

The first casualty was the rudder bar which snapped while being removed from the sprue and had to be replaced with a bit of bent wire. All primed but can anyone confirm what the aircraft was constructed from so I can take a call on the interior colour? A cursory glance across the interweb hasn't really given any answers..

Thanks

IanJ

• Like 4

Very interesting concept maybe too much vodka during design process  Good luck and well done for choosing a different subject 

Martin H

• Like 1

Cockpit completed!

34311513194_9555c99ff4_c.jpg

34769761520_99ee0c89f6_c.jpg

Gone for grey with a bit of a wash and tape belts - The canopy isn't very clear so there wasn't much point expending a huge amount of effort in there....

• Like 2

On 02/06/2017 at 14:54, Bonhoff said:

All primed but can anyone confirm what the aircraft was constructed from so I can take a call on the interior colour? A cursory glance across the interweb hasn't really given any answers..

Thanks

IanJ

Hi Ian

The best source I've found for exterior pictures is this http://xplanes.free.fr/florov/afr-5.html

"fuselage made of glued wood... all covered with plywood."

Interior color, the LaGG-3 also made of wood had a silver laquer interior.

Your choice looks good too and is close to the middle grey interior color, sub frame grey

When I build my two BI's I'd go for sub frame grey

• Like 2

On 07/06/2017 at 10:57 PM, Bonhoff said:

- The canopy isn't very clear so there wasn't much point expending a huge amount of effort in there....

Valid point. You did a great job in detailing what is in there as it is rather small.

5 hours ago, SAU said:

Hi Ian

The best source I've found for exterior pictures is this http://xplanes.free.fr/florov/afr-5.html

Great link SAU.

Have you used Agama paint and if so, how do you like them.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

The kit gives you the option to do one of six options by the addition of extra or alternative parts and/or trimming other areas already in place on the model. 

I went for number 6. This one comes replete with a ramjet on each wingtip. Tailplane also added.

35282525156_33e1f0e3c8_c.jpg

The first ramjet has required some judicious trimming of the wingtip and the slot in the jet to stop it pointing in the wrong direction. Hopefully matters will improve on the next one.

IanJ

• Like 2

I just caught up on this Ian.

You've done a very nice job on this tiny rocket plane. The interior really is very small. I remember these kits, I have a version in the stash by Pioneer:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/148030-pioneer-2-4030-bereznjak-isajev-bi-m2

It's  been issued by a few companies like Eastern Express and Maquette. 

I was always hesitant to build it, although early jets and rockets are a passion of mine, because it's so tiny! My sausage fingers couldn't do what you've done.

Great stuff and a nice clear build thread; many thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to the next instalment :).

Best regards

TonyT

PS: @Basilisk; Peter, regarding Agama paints. I've been using Agama acrylics for a long time for Polish, German WWII, Czech and Soviet subjects. I normally buy them in a big batch to save on postage to Australia.

I know it's all personal opinion, but I really like them. Great for both brush and airbrush painting and the bottles seal well; I've had some for 10 years and they're still fine. Strongly recommended :thumbsup2: :).

TT 

• Like 2

On 11/06/2017 at 06:26, Basilisk said:

Have you used Agama paint and if so, how do you like them.

Cheers, Peter

Since 2005 and I'm very satisfied with them. Both airbrush and hairy stick.

I have a retarder too that I use when I brushpaint with them.

Didn't Agama make the first Xtracrylics when they first came out too?

On 15/06/2017 at 15:06, Bonhoff said:

The kit gives you the option to do one of six options by the addition of extra or alternative parts and/or trimming other areas already in place on the model. 

I went for number 6. This one comes replete with a ramjet on each wingtip. Tailplane also added.

35282525156_33e1f0e3c8_c.jpg

The first ramjet has required some judicious trimming of the wingtip and the slot in the jet to stop it pointing in the wrong direction. Hopefully matters will improve on the next one.

IanJ

Nice progress, did you get any usable decals for your kit? I've got the Pioneer and Eastern Express decals,

one with white and one with yellow numbers, on a B&W picture they're both right I guess. B)

I've got two kits and no.6 will be one of my choices, too bad they only did windtunnel test with the ramjets.

Btw, the russian had a lot of projects with ramjet on planes  like the Polikarpov I-15x and Yakovlev Yak-7

http://ourairports.biz/?p=3066
http://ourairports.biz/?p=6526

http://ourairports.biz/?p=6499

Edited by SAU
same links as Basilisk posted before...
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SAU said:

Nice progress, did you get any usable decals for your kit? 

Found some Soviet stars in the decal stash. Don't think there were any in the kit to start with. Which might explain the £1.25 price tag....

• 3 weeks later...

Now I've finished my DH-2 I can get back on with this.....

35509267830_94cc594fff_c.jpg

Both ramjets added along with the finlets on the tailplane, primered with brushed humbrol acrylic primer.

Now to work out what colours using my existing paint collection.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hopefully I'll get this across the finish line.

Painting has started - Underside was brush painted Light Blue (AMT-7) in a custom mix of Tamiya paints that I found on the internet but I have no idea if it is accurate, time constraints mean I won't be able to pick up specific colours from a shop in time.

The first of the lighter grey coats has been brush painted in Humbrol RLM75

20170904_232359

Apologies to the colour police out there....

IanJ

• Like 2

Minor paint hiccup.

Instructions say Light Grey and Medium Grey as opposed to the AMT colours I'd assumed so after deciding that the aircraft was too dark it was out with the Humbrol Light Grey Primer which has been brushed on over the RLM75 used previously. RLM 74 had been used as a contrast but will now be replaced with the RLM75 for the mid grey.

20170906_135357[1]

KR's

IanJ

• Like 2

Major painting hopefully complete.

20170907_135230[1]

20170907_135244[1]

Blue is a custom mix of Tamiya paints I found on the internet - Seems quite a lurid shade but given the time constraints it'll do with a wash over.

KR's

IanJ

• Like 2

Discovered today another reason why the kit was only £1.25.

20170908_130608[1]

One of the undercarriage legs is missing.

Never mind. Had a bit of Albion tube floating around so did these - Don't think they'll be too visible when the plane's parked.

20170908_132800[1]

Kind Regards

IanJ

• Like 2

You've done a very nice job on this Ian. 

Your undercarriage components are a big improvement over the kit original(s).

I found a short video of one being test flown, taking off from ice:

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1