Blackburn Roc Floatplane Target Tug

22 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

OK - Well you asked for it.....:lalala:.  I will say that this is my favorite of what I have built todate, it is right up there with my BOB Aeroplanes flown by FAA Aces...  BTW this is the SH 1/48 version..

Fairey Fulmar MkI N1884/6K 806NAS - HMS Illustrious - In the period November 1940 - Feb 1941 what did it look like?  From various books and documents I suspect the the aeroplane was marked thus:-

• S1E Scheme with Sky Grey undersides.
  • The demarcation between the upper colours and the underside colours would be high demarcation through to the rudder post with the scheme extending under the tail planes.
  • I think it should be wearing IFF markings. Underside of left wing should be Black and underside of right should be White.
  • The aeroplane would have the Sand and Spaghetti markings on a band just aft of the spinner and a wrap around on the leading edge.
  • Single letter K forward of the roundel
  • No "Royal Navy" title.
  • I don't think the underside of the fuselage was Sky S.

Finished Build...

35438670762_079613716e_z.jpg

34765604974_229cd000e3_z.jpg

35438679162_65eb278594_z.jpg

Couple of the internal shots whilst in build..

27607520354_ceeb819e0b_z.jpg

28189298666_9cac827268_z.jpg

Hope you like it.  If you have any questions or comments please say.  We don't get better unless someone points out the errors...

It looks really good and different as well in that scheme/ Thanks do posting the pictures.

42 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Grey,

That was not a gentle pub's evening, I just had to leave my friends there and go back home.

I told them that I had to leave at 0930 PM and make my way to Rosslare.

They ordered me some pints and told me that if I leave without drinkin' it, It should be considered as an insult.

So as I use to be a polite man, and I did'nt wanted to offend that great bunch of gentlemen....

But they stayed in awe when I make such an achievement and luckily, did'nt see any gardees on the road.

And as I told it, I was out at 0930, no insults done, but I stopped a lot of time on my way to Rosslare...

Otherwise, I do prefer drink my Guiness more slowly,

Can't wait to see your Fulmar, I will do the one of Stan Orr and the other will be a Nightfighter.

Thank you.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

I see! you only drank the stuff to avoid an international incident! How very noble and self sacrificing of you!

Martian

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

OK - Well you asked for it.....:lalala:.  I will say that this is my favorite of what I have built todate, it is right up there with my BOB Aeroplanes flown by FAA Aces...  BTW this is the SH 1/48 version..

Fairey Fulmar MkI N1884/6K 806NAS - HMS Illustrious - In the period November 1940 - Feb 1941 what did it look like?  From various books and documents I suspect the the aeroplane was marked thus:-

• S1E Scheme with Sky Grey undersides.
  • The demarcation between the upper colours and the underside colours would be high demarcation through to the rudder post with the scheme extending under the tail planes.
  • I think it should be wearing IFF markings. Underside of left wing should be Black and underside of right should be White.
  • The aeroplane would have the Sand and Spaghetti markings on a band just aft of the spinner and a wrap around on the leading edge.
  • Single letter K forward of the roundel
  • No "Royal Navy" title.
  • I don't think the underside of the fuselage was Sky S.

Finished Build...

35438670762_079613716e_z.jpg

34765604974_229cd000e3_z.jpg

35438679162_65eb278594_z.jpg

Couple of the internal shots whilst in build..

27607520354_ceeb819e0b_z.jpg

28189298666_9cac827268_z.jpg

Hope you like it.  If you have any questions or comments please say.  We don't get better unless someone points out the errors...

Very great job, I saw that there was some variations on the demarcation lines for the Fulmars

But the Spaghetti incident !! Nicely done, Congratulations !

I've read a study about Stan Orr in an aeroplane monthly I think.

Thank for showing, was it an easy kit to build ?

Thank you.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

It looks really good and different as well in that scheme/ Thanks do posting the pictures.

I see! you only drank the stuff to avoid an international incident! How very noble and self sacrificing of you!

Martian

Thank you Sir

Let's say that, it will be a little bit more glorious if my kids happen to read the thread:rofl:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Very great job, I saw that there was some variations on the demarcation lines for the Fulmars

But the Spaghetti incident !! Nicely done, Congratulations !

I've read a study about Stan Orr in an aeroplane monthly I think.

Thank for showing, was it an easy kit to build ?

Thank you.

Corsaircorp

If you are interested in Stan Orr he also flew Skuas in 805 NAS and lead Operation Tungsten in an 804 Hellcat I.  Here in my wip version of the Hellcat.  

It was originally brush painted but I think I might respray the Slate Grey for a better finish.  Kit needs finishing and I need to make the Red White O...

35223596590_62a57b2d83_z.jpg

OK thats enough from me.  Back to Martian...

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 6

Those are both gorgeous, @Grey Beema - if anything, the Hellcat looks a little washed out (but that could easily be the photograph).  The Fulmar, on the other hand, is arguably the best I have ever seen.  Since I have the very same kit (Eduard boxing of the Mk.II) in my stash, That's encouraging, if a little daunting!

I had the privilege of meeting Stan Orr, though it wasn't until afterwards that I realised exactly who he was.  It was at a Taranto Night at HMS Daedalus (Lee-on-Solent, as was).  79? 80?  Not sure.  He was there as a guest of the Boss of the Hovercraft Trials Unit, which was based at Lee - Cdr Orr had been an early CO of the unit (possibly even the first), so I just assumed he was there in that capacity.  I did wonder slightly at the chest of medals, but I was a mere Midshipman - far too insignificant to start asking impertient questions.  How I wish I had!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I had the privilege of meeting Stan Orr, though it wasn't until afterwards that I realised exactly who he was.  It was at a Taranto Night at HMS Daedalus (Lee-on-Solent, as was).  79? 80?  Not sure.  He was there as a guest of the Boss of the Hovercraft Trials Unit, which was based at Lee - Cdr Orr had been an early CO of the unit (possibly even the first), so I just assumed he was there in that capacity.  I did wonder slightly at the chest of medals, but I was a mere Midshipman - far too insignificant to start asking impertient questions.  How I wish I had!

You are too kind in your remarks re my models..  

I came across Stan Orr in the FAA Aces book, and then did a little digging and found his obituary in the Telegraph.  He was indeed one of the leaders in the FAA and yet reasonably unknown.  He would have been there at the final reckoning in the Pacific had he not got sick..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grey Beema said:

You are too kind in your remarks re my models..  

I came across Stan Orr in the FAA Aces book, and then did a little digging and found his obituary in the Telegraph.  He was indeed one of the leaders in the FAA and yet reasonably unknown.  He would have been there at the final reckoning in the Pacific had he not got sick..

On the other hand, it's probably just as well he did get sick, because it forced him to have some time off operations.  So many of the heroic FAA aviators from the early years of the war ended up completely burned out, even if they were lucky / skillful enough to survive.  It took the RN too long (in my opinion) to emulate the RAF in removing aircrew from the front line after a while.  Stan Orr was at least sent home from the Med to instruct, but only after getting on for 2 straight years of operational flying.  

He must surely be unique in having taken part in the Norway campaign, Dunkirk, Taranto, North Africa, Greece, Matapan and the Battle for Malta at its height - and surviving!  His attempts to break up the Stuka attacks on Illustrious, deliberately flying through the ship's AA barrage and flying directly at the JU87s despite being out of ammunition was one of the most heroic acts of the entire Med war - I have read some accounts that go so far as to say that it saved Lusty from complete destruction.

A brave man.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

On the other hand, it's probably just as well he did get sick, because it forced him to have some time off operations.  So many of the heroic FAA aviators from the early years of the war ended up completely burned out, even if they were lucky / skillful enough to survive.  It took the RN too long (in my opinion) to emulate the RAF in removing aircrew from the front line after a while.  Stan Orr was at least sent home from the Med to instruct, but only after getting on for 2 straight years of operational flying.  

He must surely be unique in having taken part in the Norway campaign, Dunkirk, Taranto, North Africa, Greece, Matapan and the Battle for Malta at its height - and surviving!  His attempts to break up the Stuka attacks on Illustrious, deliberately flying through the ship's AA barrage and flying directly at the JU87s despite being out of ammunition was one of the most heroic acts of the entire Med war - I have read some accounts that go so far as to say that it saved Lusty from complete destruction.

A brave man.

And going on from there to be Fighter leader for the Operation tungsten strikes on Tirpitz.  The FAA learned far too late, having read The Kamikaze Hunters - Will Iredale (An extremely good read for anyone who wants to learn about the FAA in the Pacific), even in the Meridian and Iceberg operations crews (aircrew and maintenance crew) were not rested but on call 24x7.  In fact SLt WH Atkinson RCNVR of 1844 was onboard Indomitable flying Operations from end 1944 through to Indomitable going for refit in June '45 when he cross decked to Formidable to provide Night Fighter capability until Formidable was recalled to Sydney in Aug '45.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

A brave man.

Entirely agree.  Shame a biography wasn't written while he was still with us - it would have been an amazing read!

• Like 2

So many of the heroic FAA aviators from the early years of the war ended up completely burned out, even if they were lucky / skillful enough to survive.

As an example, see one of the most moving and, for its time, brave bits of John Godley's (Lord Kilbracken's) Bring Back My Stringbag: his frank and honest description of being driven over the edge into a nervous breakdown (I expect they called it the twitch) simply by having to fly Barracudas, albeit non-operationally, near the war's end. 

• Like 3

My Dad didn't start flying operationally until late-44 (Barracuda Observer), but he said that some of the staff aircrew when he went through training in 43-44 were pretty much shot away - especially the staff pilots (i.e. not instructors, but experienced pilots who flew in the second line - "Clockwork Mice" for training DLCOs, and the non-student pilots who few baby Lookers like my Dad... that kind of thing).  Hardly surprising, in the circumstances.

PTSD is a very strange beast; the guy who taught me to fly helicopters - a lovely, humorous, gentle bloke to everyone who knew him - suddenly lost it completely when he went back to Sea Kings in about 86-7.  He'd flown throughout the Falklands as a baby S/Lt and everyone, including himself, thought he'd coped with it all very well.  Having finished teaching me (enough to make anyone twitch a little, I guess...), he went back to the front line, to 826 NAS as the Training Officer; one day at sea on an RFA the Action Stations alarm went off for an exercise, and he found himself curled up in a tiny terrified ball locked inside his wardrobe, with no recollection whatsoever of how he got there.  

That was after 3 months of operational flying, 5 years previously.  Imagine what 3 or 4 years non-stop could do to your nerves.

P.S. Sorry, Martian - thread hijack

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 7

On 21/06/2017 at 13:27, general melchett said:

I did see the TP Martian but didn't think it too ugly...silly, definitely but not actually fugly, just two overlarge Avro 504's bunged together in the attempt at making yet another seemingly hopeless failure....

Funny you should say that as no sooner had I put down my quill than Darling just came rushing into the boudoir showing me this ...the wondrous Blackburn AD Scout.....a novel way to commit suicide methinks !

8-1.jpg

There is always the possibility that it was meant to tip forward, looking at the skids!  Either that or maybe it was to be able to save space in the hangar and park them on their nose!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

If you are interested in Stan Orr he also flew Skuas in 805 NAS and lead Operation Tungsten in an 804 Hellcat I.  Here in my wip version of the Hellcat.  

It was originally brush painted but I think I might respray the Slate Grey for a better finish.  Kit needs finishing and I need to make the Red White O...

Hello Grey,

Thank for showing, to me the F6F look pristine that way, obviously, judging from here on a photo.... You surely know better than I do.

But if I achieve a kit like you did your Hellcat, I will let it that way.

I will apologize to all of you Gents, I ran out of like unless I would have liked all these nice posts.

I totally agree, as an enthusiast about the FAA, I'm always amazed about the way they had to fly from this to that without respite.

I had at hand 2 pics of Walter Oesau, one taken around 1941 and the other one in 1944, one can barely recognize him. He is litteraly burned out.

Spend 4 years in Africa, always on the edge of an uprising, believe me, you grew older quicker than your own time when you live on the edge.

They were brave man, flying oftenly in adverse conditions, comin'back home after long missions to land on a moving post stamp in the middle of the seas.

That's why I will always place a naval aviator above any other one.:poppy::poppy::poppy:

Have a very nice modeling day.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 5

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Thank you Sir

Let's say that, it will be a little bit more glorious if my kids happen to read the thread:rofl:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

I really hope they do, it would be excellent entertainment! :wicked:

4 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Nice model, I think it is fine as it is.

P.S. Sorry, Martian - thread hijack

Not at all Crisp; it all serves to remind us of the serious background to many of the things we build.

19 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

We are but fallible humans.

Not all wounds are visible.

And some wounds heal slowly.

Bless them all.

Quite so and some wounds never heal at all.

Martian

• Like 3

Hello dears,

Did anyone hear about Cdr Ronnie Hay (to whom my FAA Corsair is dedicated) should have shot down an Heinkel in Norway whilst flying a Roc

and also attacking some target on the river Meuse with a Roc. I think it is more a Skua than a Roc.  Did'nt remember where I read that but at first, it was my intention to depict this Roc.

It will be done as soon as I find another Roc.

To me Ronnie Hay is also the kind of man like Stan Orr, AFAIK.

Have a nice modelling day.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello dears,

Did anyone hear about Cdr Ronnie Hay (to whom my FAA Corsair is dedicated) should have shot down an Heinkel in Norway whilst flying a Roc

and also attacking some target on the river Meuse with a Roc. I think it is more a Skua than a Roc.  Did'nt remember where I read that but at first, it was my intention to depict this Roc.

It will be done as soon as I find another Roc.

To me Ronnie Hay is also the kind of man like Stan Orr, AFAIK.

Have a nice modelling day.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

I know that Ronnie Hay started on Skuas, didn't know about the Roc.  I also have a RH Corsair.  I do need to do a bit of a read up on RH..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

I know that Ronnie Hay started on Skuas, didn't know about the Roc.  I also have a RH Corsair.  I do need to do a bit of a read up on RH..

And seemingly, he also did flew Fulmars !

I'll look in my books.

So now, I go to sleep, my daughter will have a surgery tomorrow.

Extracting 4 teeth, it became an habit in CC's home.

Have a great modeling day and thank for sharing.

See you soon.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

I'll look in my books.

See you soon.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Good luck with the surgery tomorrow.  I might dig out a picture of my version of RH Corsair and make a bit of progress on my current projects (Sea Gladiator and Seafire II...

Night John Boy....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

I'll look in my books.

See you soon.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

I had that done myself ( believe it or not I have been told I have a small mouth!), when I was a teenager. My thoughts are with her!

Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

I'll look in my books.

See you soon.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

All the best to your daughter CC.

3 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

believe it or not I have been told I have a small mouth!

:rofl:

Martian

• Like 1

The fuselage structure is now complete apart from a few bits that may or may not need to be done in the vicinity of the entrance doors. This depends on whether they opened inward or outwards, the references are far from clear on this point. I feel another big push on researching the Skua/Roc coming on. That will have to wait however as, and I shudder to mention it, I will be away for ten days from Monday. Doubtless the changing threads team will be paying a visit in my absence. As he is partially responsible for this thread, I did think of asking Crisp to keep an eye on it for me. On reflection though, I have a gut feeling that will avail me nothing!

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10

Hello Martian,

I once again run out of Like.

Hope that, you're away for holyday, Nothing serious ? My friend ?

Thanks for the kind words, I go to the hospital right now.

See you later.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Thank Grey, Thank Limey,

I warmly thank all of you. When it is me, I did'nt have any problem.

But when it is my kids, even at 16, I'm worrying.

A small mouth ? That make less room to work for the surgeon:P

Luckily my daughter has the same big mouth than mine, we're not the like of Mike Jagger, but too far away.

Thanks again, one more evening far from my beloved kits.

See you later.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2