Blackburn Roc Floatplane Target Tug

Handsome colouring work Martian. :thumbsup2:

Reminds me I have to go dig soon and see if there's anything interiorish in Section Vert of the bench.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

Four models on the go and he's going away AGAIN!

Good to see progress everywhere . . . .

Enjoy your bus holiday.😎

Kev

I like canals but its a tad bit too soon to be going away again for me but Mrs Martian adores canals and this one's a freebee so its only fair to do it.

51 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Handsome colouring work Martian. :thumbsup2:

Reminds me I have to go dig soon and see if there's anything interiorish in Section Vert of the bench.

Thanks Tony, hope you find your paint.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Right, the primer having had chance to cure overnight, I began today with doing the detail painting on the engine. I don't know why but something yesterday made me check on the colours of the Bristol Perseus engine. I was a good job I did because my instinct told me to go with light grey crankcase and black cylinders. Pictures showed that the Perseus had a black crankcase and either grey or natural metal cylinders. Still I'm quite pleased with the way the engine came out.

The fuel tank, pilot's seat and the winch have received a coat of Alclad White Aluminium and the interior of the engine cowling and the winch operator's seat a coat of cockpit green. As long a Satan's herd can avoid dropping any cowpats in my path,I have tomorrow free as well so I think I will concentrate on getting the instrument panel detail painted and installed along with the fuel tank and the crew seats.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

r4.jpg

r5.jpg

• Like 15

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nice result with that Martian, good to see this back on the tracks again. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve, now that the airbrushing session is out of the way, I am starting to enjoy the build again.

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Superb donk.  And as Steve says, a most welcome return.

Cheers Crisp, you never know she might even make Telford this year.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

A few years back, I did a pictorial study of Bristol engines from every source I could find. Though I couldn't find any written info, I did realize that starting in the early 1930's, Bristol started to paint the gear casings on military engines black. It continued this until just after WW2 ended. I'm not sure about Centaurus engines because there is some kind of shroud that is the same diameter as the prop spinner around casing.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
Late editing.
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

A few years back, I did a pictorial study of Bristol engines from every source I could find. Though I couldn't find any written info, I did realize that starting in the early 1930, Bristol started to paint the gear casings on military engines black. It continued this until just after WW2 ended. I'm not sure about Centaurus engines because there is some kind of shroud that the same diameter as the prop spinner around casing.

Chris

Thanks for that Chris. The Centaurus engines, seem to have been a bit of a mixed bag with black, light grey and mid grey being possible.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Putty Animal said:

Ooh that's really nice! 

You are too kind sir!

Bashful of Mars 👽

• Like 1

As promised, a flurry of activity in the Martian cave has seen the IP, seats and fuel tank detail painted and fitted. Doesn't sound much does it but the IP alone took over two hours before I was happy with it. However, I am reasonably happy with how the interior is shaping up. I need to make some target banners for the winch operator's station. Does anyone have any thoughts on what colour they should be? My initial thoughts are a very pale grey canvas sort of colour.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

r6.jpg

r7.jpg

r8.jpg

r9.jpg

r10.jpg

• Like 17

This one photograph sums up your work for me Martian:

r9.jpg

Complex 

Controlled 

Compelling.

:worthy:

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I need to make some target banners for the winch operator's station. Does anyone have any thoughts on what colour they should be? 

Are these threads of any help?

https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/historic-aviation/97675-raf-ww2-target-banners

MILFNO41.jpg

http://www.milfield.org.uk/fighter_leader_school_milfield.htm

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Superb interior work really coming to life now!

Roger

Thanks Roger.

22 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

This one photograph sums up your work for me Martian:

Complex 

Controlled 

Compelling.

:worthy:

Are these threads of any help?

https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/historic-aviation/97675-raf-ww2-target-banners

MILFNO41.jpg

http://www.milfield.org.uk/fighter_leader_school_milfield.htm

You flatter me Sir! Thanks for the links, they are just what I needed.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I need to make some target banners for the winch operator's station. Does anyone have any thoughts on what colour they should be? My initial thoughts are a very pale grey canvas sort of colour.

They were bright red. My dad is fond of telling me about a holiday he and his sisters had near Millom in Cumbria during the war years.  A Martinet flew over towing a target and they all waved furiously at the pilot and he dropped the target (probably very much against regulations). The flag was made of a bright red silk-like fabric and he kept part of it for years (until my grandmother threw it out.....🙁), along with the wood and brass spreader.  He told me the guest house they stayed at had bedcovers made from sewn-together targets !

• Like 7

Hello Dear Martian,

I hope that the Roc will be ready for Telford 2019.... Since I make my best to finish my 2 Rocs....

3 highly modified 1/48 Roc on the same year....

Have you called up the Guiness book ?? 🤣

I will look at the Pic later, since I no longer can see Piccies with my work computer...🤨

Great job however !! 

CC

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Marvellous work Martian :) 

Thanks Ced.

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dear Martian,

I hope that the Roc will be ready for Telford 2019.... Since I make my best to finish my 2 Rocs....

3 highly modified 1/48 Roc on the same year....

Have you called up the Guiness book ?? 🤣

I will look at the Pic later, since I no longer can see Piccies with my work computer...🤨

Great job however !! 

CC

I think it stands a reasonable chance as once the fuselage is buttoned up, aside from the large fillet that goes under the tail assembly, all the rest of the airframe is ready to go together.

9 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

They were bright red. My dad is fond of telling me about a holiday he and his sisters had near Millom in Cumbria during the war years.  A Martinet flew over towing a target and they all waved furiously at the pilot and he dropped the target (probably very much against regulations). The flag was made of a bright red silk-like fabric and he kept part of it for years (until my grandmother threw it out.....🙁), along with the wood and brass spreader.  He told me the guest house they stayed at had bedcovers made from sewn-together targets !

Thanks Roger, although there seems to be a number of possible colours, I think I may well go with rednto brighten up the interior a bit.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

Really good interior my Dear tentacled one !

Congratulations ! 

The winch operator seat look very good too !

I think that Roc 1 will receive some white alu monday..

Then the figures.... 😓

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

1 minute ago, corsaircorp said:

Really good interior my Dear tentacled one !

Congratulations ! 

The winch operator seat look very good too !

I think that Roc 1 will receive some white alu monday..

Then the figures.... 😓

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC, I think I can see a very small light at the end of the tunnel.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Excellent as usual! I'm really looking forward to seeing this finished off, and even more looking forward to seeing it at Telford!

Ian

• Like 1