Blackburn Roc Floatplane Target Tug

Following my recent efforts to get the SH-34 near to the painting stage, I felt it was time to get this build moving along as well if I want to have it ready for Telford. I also felt that seeing as how this is  a target tug, it was time to start seeing about sorting out the target towing arrangements.

I am basing the winch around a 1/48 winch arm as propeller from the ever excellent St John Adams. This has dictated the size of the winch housing, which is now almost complete. I still have the actual drum to build as the housing was open at the rear. This will have to wait until my next session as I have been trying to model with a sprained tentacle and it is beginning to hurt a bit too much for tonight.

I still have to decide whether to show the winch propeller in the stowed of deployed position, plenty of time for that though as it is probably best fitted right at the end of the build.

Thanks for looking

Martian

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

• Like 13

Opine away gents

I have no irons in that fire.  😀

After all, deployed was how mine was although a beast of a different safari

Alan Hall, balsa, dope'n'talc mix, Airfix's ancient Defiant

A totally less awesome thing than this little wonderchile

Deploy away!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, perdu said:

Stowed

Just because the TT Defiant I built in '69 was deployed

Carry on number one!

📣

Thanks for the "considered" advice Bill.:huh:

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Not wanting to contradict Bill but I think it looks better deployed as it's function is 'more obvious'.

Nice work either way though :)

My way of thinking thus far, though doubtless there will be any number of changes of mind before it gets glued in place. :unsure:

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

Surely an alien would merely deploy another arm tentacle :winkgrin:

Nice work despite you disabilities

I'm firmly in the deployed camp as per CedB

Kev

Cheers Kev, more food for thought.

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Opine away gents

I have no irons in that fire.  😀

After all, deployed was how mine was although a beast of a different safari

A totally less awesome thing than this little wonderchile

Deploy away!

Thanks Bill, I think I will end up going with the majority opinion on this one. It will cut out the dithering process of which I seem to be a master of!

Martian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, perdu said:

He's showing his age.

Unfortunately I too remember the Alan Hall formulae of the days when modellers weren't fitters! Some of those articles must appear to be ancient history to our younger members.

Roc's looking good Martian.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scimitar said:

He's showing his age.

Unfortunately I too remember the Alan Hall formulae of the days when modellers weren't fitters! Some of those articles must appear to be ancient history to our younger members.

Roc's looking good Martian.

Thanks, Sadly I too remember those days and struggling with bits of balsa. I used a gloop of Plastic Padding mixed with tube cement as a grain filler. I thought it would be less messy: it wasn't!

13 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

It would be nice to see that whisk deployed Martian. Glad you're going with that option.:thumbsup2:

Thanks Tony. popular opinion seems to be in favour of deployed so deployed it is.

Martian the Democratic

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, massimo said:

Hi Martian,

nice to see you back to this project. The towing system looks great! Did you do it from scratch ? What material is it?

Thanks Massimo. Aside from the arm and winch propeller, which are Aeroclub parts, the rest of it is just knocked together from plastic card and a couple of bits of Re-Heat photo-etch.

Martian

• 11 months later...

Hello Dear tentacled one,

As far as I can see, your Roc suffer from the same problem with the trailing edge :rant::rant:

Both my Roc have the trailing edge differently shaped

By George !! some designers at SH need to be keel hauled too !!

Sincerely.

CC

I take a great pleasure at reading this thread while I'm at work... Waiting for some breakdown to fix...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dear tentacled one,

As far as I can see, your Roc suffer from the same problem with the trailing edge :rant::rant:

Both my Roc have the trailing edge differently shaped

By George !! some designers at SH need to be keel hauled too !!

Sincerely.

CC

I take a great pleasure at reading this thread while I'm at work... Waiting for some breakdown to fix...

I shall be making final adjustments to the trailing edge once the fuselage and wings are joined.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stampedingviking said:

This (and some other threads on here) remind me why I stick to painting figures.

Good to watch though 👾

You might be a natural. You will never know if you don't have a try and there are plenty of people here who will be willing to help you if you get stuck.

Have go; you know you want to.

Incidentally, I was having a look at where we are at with this build today and was wondering if I could get it restarted and finished for Telford.....:hmmm:

Encouraging of Mars 👽

• Like 6

Quite frankly Martian any reason for restarting this Roc music is good enough for me, but then it may distract from the heavenly Albatross and what a hellish dilemma...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Quite frankly Martian any reason for restarting this Roc music is good enough for me, but then it may distract from the heavenly Albatross and what a hellish dilemma...

Or the Tracker or the Helix or the Starfighter...……. Decisions , decisions! :unsure:

Indecisive of Mars 👽

• Like 5

On 8/15/2018 at 9:47 PM, Martian Hale said:

You might be a natural. You will never know if you don't have a try and there are plenty of people here who will be willing to help you if you get stuck.

Have go; you know you want to.

Incidentally, I was having a look at where we are at with this build today and was wondering if I could get it restarted and finished for Telford.....:hmmm:

Encouraging of Mars 👽

I used to make aircraft but mainly tanks in my younger days (long ago now) but I only really enjoyed the painting rather than the building. Moved on to figures and haven't really looked back since.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2018 at 10:22 PM, Martian Hale said:

Or the Tracker or the Helix or the Starfighter...……. Decisions , decisions! :unsure:

Indecisive of Mars 👽

Wasn't there a Ju88 and Gotha about as well?

Roger

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Wasn't there a Ju88 and Gotha about as well?

Roger

Stop confusing the issue Roger, I get muddled enough as it is!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/15/2018 at 9:47 PM, Martian Hale said:

I could get it restarted and finished for Telford.

No pressure then!

Finish the Albatross and tinker with the Roc and if its ready..bonus.

That then gives you the whole winter to do the rest..assuming that Martians don't leave the mothership in that period. :)

• Like 2

Famous last words I know but apart from being taken out to dinner on Sunday, I have a rare weekend free of embuggerances for a change and this alien will be shutting himself in the Martian cave for some quality Martian time.

Martian 👽

• Like 3