Blackburn Roc Floatplane Target Tug

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

PS: Remind me how I got myself into all this!

I fear it is at least partly my fault.  Not that I am remotely sorry.

BlackAck ; Of course Dulwich is the colonies.  It's South of the river.  Practically abroad.

• Like 4

Bringing this back a little closer to topic, OK, I know it won't last but I tried.  My copy of "The Seaplane Years" arrived today, straight to page 215 to see what this thread is all about. I liked, guess I'll have to keep popping back & bashing on through the undergrowth till I can see the trees ;) , I reckon it"s going to be worth it, cool looking machine.

Steve

• Like 2

Who gave you permission to leak details of my party frock for Telford? I shall be invoicing you for the replacement I shall now have to purchase!

It's my duty as a peer of the realm not to mention servant of His Majesty King George the V to winkle out such information, no matter how unpalatable and relay it to the troops. Darling tells me that legally you're between a Roc and a hard place over this and following consultation with our finance department bods he's quite happy to give you a thorough going over in the invoicing department....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, longshanks said:

Nice detail............

Kev

Thanks Kev. Unbelievably, this crowd are making you and I look sane!

7 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

PS: Remind me how I got myself into all this!

Hem ! At least partially because a bent wing bird fan has told you that you would'nt dare to have a Roc float plane target tug....

Cannot apologize about all this because, lots of humor, nice photos of rarities and a very building of a Roc

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Ah! Always a bad idea that, daring me to do something as most of my former teachers at various schools could have confirmed!

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I fear it is at least partly my fault.  Not that I am remotely sorry.

I never thought for a moment that you were Crisp!

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Bringing this back a little closer to topic, OK, I know it won't last but I tried.  My copy of "The Seaplane Years" arrived today, straight to page 215 to see what this thread is all about. I liked, guess I'll have to keep popping back & bashing on through the undergrowth till I can see the trees ;) , I reckon it"s going to be worth it, cool looking machine.

Steve

Great! Someone else who can appreciate the beauty of the Roc. Just to make you feel good, this puts you on a par with Ex FAAWFU, General Melchet, the Baroness and myself!

5 hours ago, general melchett said:

It's my duty as a peer of the realm not to mention servant of His Majesty King George the V to winkle out such information, no matter how unpalatable and relay it to the troops. Darling tells me that legally you're between a Roc and a hard place over this and following consultation with our finance department bods he's quite happy to give you a thorough going over in the invoicing department....

Another tempting offer from the General. I can see we are going to have to reveal the plans for your Telford attire as modelled by Lt George, here

latest?cb=20150114104648

There, see how you like it!

Martian

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Unbelievably, this crowd are making you and I look sane!

I blame the heat and you though I'm not sure what order to put them in ........

Are Martians known for the heat they give off, assuming the oral orifice is closed?

Like lemmings could they be jumping from the fire into the frying pan? :hypnotised:

Kev

• Like 1

latest?cb=20150114104648

Great Scott! even you know it, guard, guard bolt all the doors, hammer large pieces of crooked wood against all the windows! This security leak is far worse than we'd imagined !  

I can see this is going to end badly so I'll have no alternative other than to break out the trusty standby, always goes down well at the annual regimental Whine & Anthrax bash...

Oh look...it's another Blackburn Blackburn navigator.

Bomb aimer.

Notice the squint.

No, no, no......surely ... head of the 'Dream-Team' design department.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

I blame the heat and you though I'm not sure what order to put them in ........

Are Martians known for the heat they give off, assuming the oral orifice is closed?

Like lemmings could they be jumping from the fire into the frying pan? :hypnotised:

Kev

Me? Not sure what I did. The heat can't be me, Mars is a lovely cold place and I only speak words of the purest wisdom. You can call me Susan if that isn't so! (There is no chance whatsoever of me doing another name change )

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Bomb aimer.

Notice the squint.

Good point!

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

latest?cb=20150114104648

Great Scott! even you know it, guard, guard bolt all the doors, hammer large pieces of crooked wood against all the windows! This security leak is far worse than we'd imagined !  

I can see this is going to end badly so I'll have no alternative other than to break out the trusty standby, always goes down well at the annual regimental Whine & Anthrax bash...

No, no, no......surely ... head of the 'Dream-Team' design department.

Noooo! Not the General's not so little black mini-dress again!

4 hours ago, mhaselden said:

Oh look...it's another Blackburn Blackburn navigator.

Yeah, I know...:coat:

No, not bad for this thread!

Martian

• Like 1

The slightly cooler weather has allowed me to get a bit more done on the Roc. The target winch was mounted on the aircraft's turret ring which was an integral part of the fuselage structure and a small panel butted up against the winch's forward edge It is this panel that has been the focus of tonight's efforts. The panel sits on top of a bulkhead and this has had to be very carefully cut down to accept the panel. Once glued in place, the rear of the new panel has to be cut very accurately to accommodate the turret ring. To add strength to what is a weak area of the model, the ring was very securely glued to the panel and port fuselage side. So far this model has proved one of the harder builds I have done, mostly due to the accuracy and fit of the new scratch built parts needing to be close to 100% to avoid distorting the fuselage and ending up with transparencies that won't fit. 

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 11

Very nice accurate scratch building there Martian :thumbsup2: 

For a change I'm not on a mobile device; on this 13" screen the ring is around 2" across in the last photo, and it looks spot on at this huge magnification.

Great stuff

TonyT

• Like 2

That is 'working' nicely Martian, I think this build may move me further back in history, LIKING Blackburn's older toys

"thinks... Isn't there an old Froglet Skua in a box nearby? Hmmmmmm...."

• Like 1

Now is it just me or is the "egg plane" back?

The images look a bit squashed on my MacBook... But the quality of the work still shines through - lovely work with the plasticard and the care needed not to affect the fit/width of the fuselage.

Then again, a Blackburn Roc Target Tug Egg Plane on Floats would surely be a huge seller?

No?

Nick.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nickthebrief said:

Now is it just me or is the "egg plane" back?

The images look a bit squashed on my MacBook... But the quality of the work still shines through - lovely work with the plasticard and the care needed not to affect the fit/width of the fuselage.

Then again, a Blackburn Roc Target Tug Egg Plane on Floats would surely be a huge seller?

No?

Nick.

Thanks Nick. Yes, the problem seems to be back. Despite my selecting the keeping my settings until further notice option, Postimage seem to have deleted them. I shall see what I can do as soon as I have done this post.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

That is 'working' nicely Martian, I think this build may move me further back in history, LIKING Blackburn's older toys

"thinks... Isn't there an old Froglet Skua in a box nearby? Hmmmmmm...."

Thanks Bill, though if you want to sort out the FROG Skua, you have a mahoosive amount of work ahead of you.

Martian, off to sort out those bloody pictures again!

8 minutes ago, pheonix said:

Wonderful bit of scratch building there. Getting that ring the correct diameter and round is a real test of skill - especially when you have so little tolerance to work with.

P

Thanks Phoenix, I have resized the pictures which should be looking OK on people's devices now.

Martian

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

That winch area looks stunning as your builds always do with the attention to detail that you take!

Roger

Thanks Roger but let's be honest. You and I both know it is down to me being a stubborn old $**^£%. I saw the optician this morning and the result, other than me being somewhat poorer, is that some new high magnification spectacles will shortly be winging their way to Martian Towers, allowing for ever more insane attempts at fine detail.

Martian, Now as poor as a Church Martian on the day his wife has run off taking with her their last remaining Flanian Pobble Bead, following the collapse of the Triganic Pu.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian, Now as poor as a Church Martian on the day his wife has run off taking with her their last remaining Flanian Pobble Bead, following the collapse of the Triganic Pu.

Scary as it seems, I think I understand what you're saying. 

Frankly, I think the universe is better off without the Triganic Pu...but that's just a personal opinion (and recognizing that we shouldn't be discussing politics on our beloved Britmodeller). 

Edited by mhaselden
  • Like 3

I drove near to Melchett towers earlier today.

The chimneys on the West wing were smoking

somewhat furiously. Probably nothing whatsoever

to do with the Triganic Pu. But the General may wish

to issue a denial PDQ to prevent rumours spreading.

Oh, and I notice that modeling has occurred, and admit

to being suitably impressed.

• Like 2

Very nice job Dear ETI&A

Will make mine to a WiP too, I will try to make half as good as you did.

And maybe scratchbuild the interior.

I search for my photos of the opened turret before sawing mine.

Great Job, congrats:yes::clap2:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mhaselden said:

Scary as it seems, I think I understand what you're saying. 

Frankly, I think the universe is better off without the Triganic Pu...but that's just a personal opinion (and recognizing that we shouldn't be discussing politics on our beloved Britmodeller). 

Surely, here we are discussing something that directly effects us all, regardless of political persuasion?

10 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I drove near to Melchett towers earlier today.

to do with the Triganic Pu. But the General may wish

to issue a denial PDQ to prevent rumours spreading.

Oh, and I notice that modeling has occurred, and admit

to being suitably impressed.

Thanks Pete, I wonder what the General and Darling can have been up to?

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Very nice job Dear ETI&A

Will make mine to a WiP too, I will try to make half as good as you did.

And maybe scratchbuild the interior.

I search for my photos of the opened turret before sawing mine.

Great Job, congrats:yes::clap2:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

I look forward to seeing your efforts. The Roc used the same turret as the Defiant so you may well have more joy looking up details of the Defiant turret.

Martian

• Like 1

So it was your old charabang buzzing the place was it , swerving all over the road, the CCTV could hardly keep up.......all will be presented as evidence.

to do with the Triganic Pu. 

Not so much to do with the Pu, Ningi or Flanian Pobble Bead for that matter Pete, no, no  more Darling's over-zealous attempt at dislodging a few nesting Cormorants...I told him 22 litres of Super Unleaded and 15 bales of hay would be a tad over enthusiastic but he's a headstrong old cove....talking of which I haven't seen him for a couple of days !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

I haven't seen him for a couple of days !

I think I can explain that one. I found him lurking in my stash. He is now tied up in his jim jams, with a potty on his head while I decide what to do with him.

Martian

• Like 2