Blackburn Roc Floatplane Target Tug

Despite feeling a little unwell yesterday I did manage to get to fettle a bit of plastic. I continued the build by making the rear cockpit bulkhead. This had to be very accurately made as there is a recess at the to allow the rear fairing to retract. This done, I marked the position of the bulkheads on the starboard fuselage halves and added the main longerons form .30 x .30 'thou plastic strip. Accurately cut these help lock the bulkheads in their correct position. Due to the way Special Hobby have moulded the wing root fairings, the rear two bulkheads will need to be extended downwards to meet the bottom of the fuselage. That done I might just be able to start thinking about detailing the interior of the fuselage.

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 13

On 10/06/2017 at 0:14 PM, Martian Hale said:

image.jpg

I spy guitars in the back ground ..... do you have a quick strum while you're modelling ?:whistle:

I may like my music, but I'm not so into instruments that I can tell what they are from a partial neck shot. So, they are .....

This thread gets more "off world" with each passing comment.

Blackburn Skuas? 

Sally James?

R2D2 units in a WW2 plane?

• Like 6

The guitars are 1. Fender Lead 2 (very rare) 2. Fender Mustang Special (basically Jaguar electronics in a Mustang body) 3. Telecaster Thinline (semi-acoustic) 4. Jaguar short scale bass 5. Jazz bass 5 string (Mrs Martian's). I also have a Fender Strataccoustic but there is not room in the rack for that one.

Off world? What did you expect from one of my threads? You would all start worrying if it wasn't!

Martian

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

The guitars are 1. Fender Lead 2 (very rare)

Nice collection. I've played a couple of these. Both clocked in more at Les Paul weight levels rather than typical Fender. Yours?

• Like 1

On 11/6/2017 at 4:28 PM, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Claudio, duly saved to my Roc file.

One more for you:

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/f/from-dam-neck-to-okinawa.html

The author was the Senior Instructor at the US Navy Antiaircraft Training Center in Bermuda. That is, the customer of your Roc...!

Scan through the early pages of his memory, you'll find some interesting snippets there!

HTH

Claudio

• Like 2

Hooops !

How should I have missed the start of this thread :whip:

Respect Daredevil Martian. You keep up your words.

May I seat in a corner with a trappist ? Eyes wide open of course.

I'll start my own Roc, I have been interested in another not so conventional use of the Roc !

Will make it as a AAA battery, silver finish, levelled on a kind of jack and plugged to a generator !

Poor Roc :clap2:

Will try to avoid the rare pièces of humor from the start of the thread, so let's Roc !

Congrat and Thanks.

PS; Will be in Telford too this year, first SMW for me, Hope that we can have a third type encounter, will offer you a good trappist, promised !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

The guitars are 1. Fender Lead 2 (very rare) 2. Fender Mustang Special (basically Jaguar electronics in a Mustang body) 3. Telecaster Thinline (semi-acoustic) 4. Jaguar short scale bass 5. Jazz bass 5 string (Mrs Martian's). I also have a Fender Strataccoustic but there is not room in the rack for that one.

Off world? What did you expect from one of my threads? You would all start worrying if it wasn't!

Martian

Matin,

a most impressive line up of Fenders. The lead I confess I had no knowledge of (so I looked them up) the Mustang I'm familiar with but not so much the special, the jaguar bass yes, both 4 and 5 string. Fender accoustic guitars were never much on my radar, I am far more familiar with Gibsons. A colleague of mine owned a stratotelcaster, a telecaster body with a strat neck, which sounded pretty good to me. 

I'm probably one of the few people who count as a highlight of visting London a trip along Denmark Street looking at guitars in the windows of the shops there!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lowbrow said:

Nice collection. I've played a couple of these. Both clocked in more at Les Paul weight levels rather than typical Fender. Yours?

I don't know that much about Les Pau guitars but the Lead 2 weighs a ton, very well balanced though.

6 hours ago, BlackAck said:

Guitars and scale models, very Roc n' Roll...

I'll grab my coat. :)  

It just had to be you didn't it? I thought Mrs Blackack had warned you about creating international incidents!

5 hours ago, ClaudioN said:

One more for you:

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/f/from-dam-neck-to-okinawa.html

The author was the Senior Instructor at the US Navy Antiaircraft Training Center in Bermuda. That is, the customer of your Roc...!

Scan through the early pages of his memory, you'll find some interesting snippets there!

HTH

Claudio

Most interesting, it puts into perspective just how important these second line duties are.

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hooops !

How should I have missed the start of this thread :whip:

Respect Daredevil Martian. You keep up your words.

May I seat in a corner with a trappist ? Eyes wide open of course.

I'll start my own Roc, I have been interested in another not so conventional use of the Roc !

Will make it as a AAA battery, silver finish, levelled on a kind of jack and plugged to a generator !

Poor Roc :clap2:

Will try to avoid the rare pièces of humor from the start of the thread, so let's Roc !

Congrat and Thanks.

PS; Will be in Telford too this year, first SMW for me, Hope that we can have a third type encounter, will offer you a good trappist, promised !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thanks Corsaircorp this plonker/alien always tries to oblige. Your idea for a Roc sounds a great idea for a diorama. Great to hear you will be at Telford this year. Just look for the large green being on a buggy.

4 hours ago, Whofan said:

Matin,

a most impressive line up of Fenders. The lead I confess I had no knowledge of (so I looked them up) the Mustang I'm familiar with but not so much the special, the jaguar bass yes, both 4 and 5 string. Fender accoustic guitars were never much on my radar, I am far more familiar with Gibsons. A colleague of mine owned a stratotelcaster, a telecaster body with a strat neck, which sounded pretty good to me. 

I'm probably one of the few people who count as a highlight of visting London a trip along Denmark Street looking at guitars in the windows of the shops there!

The Strataccoustic is an electro acoustic guitar which is, unsurprisingly in the shape of a Stratocaster. I try and avoid looking in guitar shops ever since I went into the local one just to ask a question about pedal boards and ended up walking out with the Thinline Telecaster and a ginormous hole in my bank balance. The thing was that the oik that flogged me the Thinline still thought he was going to sell me a pedal board. He seemed most put out at my answer! Can't think why!

Martian

• Like 4

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 21:39, Martian Hale said:

You are evil child Dogsbody! If I still had access to woodworking facilities, I would doubtless be carving moulds by now, either for this or maybe for a 1/48 Blackburn Blackburn. Now there's a good looking aircraft!

Martian of the 20/20 vision

PS: Update tomorrow morning

Hello Martian,

I do prefer a Blackburn Blackburn or let's say a Blackburn Bison, sleeky beauties ranging in between a Hawker Hunter and a Mk VIII Spitfire.:whistle:

One thing left to do after this post :drink::drink::drink:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Avro Bison but yes they are both great looking beasts. The ale is a thought, off to partake myself.

Martian :beer:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian

Another of those BritModeler Venn diagrams; the muso/model correlation.

FWIW, an equivalent Crisp pic would be 1. Fender Strat Plus (my choice for "the one I'd save from a burning house"); 2. Gibson SG; 3. Fender Japan Telecaster JD signature (though I'm in the process of selling this one); 4. Epiphone Firebird Studio; 5 & 6. 2 Dobros [cos I am really a slide player above all].

Mrs Crisp, however, is not a bass player!

• Like 4

Gentlemen I fear I must remove myself from this sublime and already interesting thread

You b+ggers all got Strats and Teles and Gibsons

I only got gallons of jealous...

If I could work the strings again I'd love a Tele, just to leave to granddaughter or the light of my life, the grandson

Their sister is a wonderful singer, one of them ought to play backing for her

OK I'll stick around, just go easy on the jealous willya...

😯

Edited by perdu
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Another of those BritModeler Venn diagrams; the muso/model correlation.

FWIW, an equivalent Crisp pic would be 1. Fender Strat Plus (my choice for "the one I'd save from a burning house"); 2. Gibson SG; 3. Fender Japan Telecaster JD signature (though I'm in the process of selling this one); 4. Epiphone Firebird Studio; 5 & 6. 2 Dobros [cos I am really a slide player above all].

Mrs Crisp, however, is not a bass player!

The Lead 2 would be my save from the burning house. The others can be replaced but the lead 2 is rarer than an honest politician. I would love a Lead 1 to go with it.

Mrs Martian is not only a bass player, she sings, plays all sorts of whistles, ukulele and key boards and is our bands resident smart bottom.

38 minutes ago, perdu said:

Gentlemen I fear I must remove myself from this sublime and already interesting thread

You b+ggers all got Strats and Teles and Gibsons

I only got gallons of jealous...

If I could work the strings again I'd love a Tele, just to leave to granddaughter or the light of my life, the grandson

Their sister is a wonderful singer, one of them ought to play backing for her

OK I'll stick around, just go easy on the jealous willya...

😯

I don't think you ever forget how to play and I am sure your local music shop would oblige. :guitar:

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Sounds like a supergroup is in the process of forming here with a human/extraterrestrial front line. :headphones:

Not sure about that, trying to organise my current outfit is akin to herding cats.

Martian

• Like 2

I'm a Bass player.

First Bass was a terrible 'Hondo' Fender Precision copy (1981).

I had been playing piano and guitar since aged 6 and 10 respectively. I had become disillusioned with piano and taken to guitar. There were far too many guitarists around and at the time (why?, oh the folly of youth), I wanted to be in a 'band'.

I realised that bassists were thin on the ground, so decided to migrate to the long necked rope stringed thingy :guitar: !

The action on the Hondo was so high I felt G clamps were needed to hold notes down. For some reason I also found it Very unexpressive. So, at the age of 16, I bought, on the never never, an Aria Pro II fretless. Lovely.

£285 in 1982 :frantic: .

Part time weekend job became *very* important for the repayments! 

Best bass I ever had. Sadly sold 5 years ago. A Warwick, then a Fender USA Jazz occurred in between then and now. I only gigged with the Aria and the Warwick. All 90's gigs. Just over 120.

Decided: 'lifestyle not for me'. In hindsight, a lot of fun (and heartache and stress). Can't believe it happened. The things we do when we're young.

How these stars play the same songs on stage for up to and over 40 years I'll never know. Very special and dedicated people in a frankly terrifying industry.

Anyway. Ok. I'll play bass. @TheBaron would probably support my suggestion that we call ourselves something involving the word 'Rug'... :hmmm: 

Regardless of John Lennon suggesting that there were a number of holes in Blackburn, Lancanshire, conversely, given this thread, Blackburn, quite clearly, Rocs :):thumbsup2:.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 5

Is a good job that the modelling is a little bit better than some of the jokes on this thread. Come to think of it, it would be hard for it not to be seeing as some of them are on a par with Vogon poetry!

Martian

• Like 2

Hello Martian,

Here we go, I started a side project

You're right about bulkhead, I will try to file it to fit the fuselage.

WP_20170612_21_58_04_Pro

So, can i place the mine in aircraft WiP ???

Since she will be a AAA battery :penguin:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 4

Excellent! Someone else to share my pain at least some of the way. My understanding is that when they were first used as AA batteries, the Rocs were capable of flight and they were aircraft after all so I would have thought it OK to do the build here.

Martian

PS: Sorry, I just picked up on the joke, almost as bad of one of Blackack's. Almost I said but not quite.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BlackAck said:

Guitars and scale models, very Roc n' Roll...

I'll grab my coat. :)  

Groan!  That's a Dad joke if ever there was!  (Must make a note of it!) B)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HomerJ_757 said:

Groan!  That's a Dad joke if ever there was!  (Must make a note of it!) B)

Don't encourage him, we are having enough trouble with him as it is!

Martian

• Like 3

Oh Martin, you know how to titvate us with your odd builds. I like this one a lot, I'll be following it with interest but what an ugly aeroplane... Roc is about right!

Colin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heloman1 said:

what an ugly aeroplane... Roc is about right!

Hye thee to Specsavers myopic Earthling and then washeth thee thy mouth out in penance for thy blasphemy!

Outraged of Mars 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Oh Martin, you know how to titvate us with your odd builds. I like this one a lot, I'll be following it with interest but what an ugly aeroplane... Roc is about right!

Colin

Hey now, don't go insulting his pet roc.. it's not such a bad little aeroplane, it's just it's looks are an acquired taste like strong cheese.

In all seriousness, if exterior photographs are common, how about interior ones?  Use Suka/Shark photos as a starting point and extrapolate for the target towing gear?  I presume the process of target towing is described somewhere by a wavy navy boffin.

• Like 1