Tamiya Panzer ausf D

Hi all,

First post and second model after a 33 year "break". In my early teens i made airfix aircraft, and didn't know what weathering was. I was inspired after a visit to bovington where i bought a WOT 1/56 panther. (Pic of that one here too). All tamiya acrylics, tamiya weathering kits, and real mud mixed with canopy glue. Critique welcomed as i want to learn. 

2017-05-31_09-09-31

IMG_20170530_191239972

IMG_20170530_191530265

IMG_20170530_191553955

IMG_20170530_200723464

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Welcome back fronkey, nice builds how did you do the rust effect on the exhaust?

Thanks. I used a coat of buff with a bit of red brown in it, then painted with tamiya weather master rust (two colours separately) mixed with tamiya paint thinner. 

• Like 1

Not bad at all.

I also returned to model-making after 35yr gap, so I know what it's like with all these new-fangled paints/pigments/washes etc.

Your Panzer is great. The rusty exhaust is realistic, but I especially like the mud on the running gear. Though I have to say the mud on the fenders is way too clumpy and wouldn't really get there unless someone shovelled it on. (Mud would be on the undersides)

And on the subject of mud, you're much better off using paint mixed with fine grits/powders etc rather than real mud which has organic materials in it including plastic-eating-glue-dissolving microbes. (okay, I might be exaggerating)

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Thanks Badder! 

Glad you like the exhaust, it was the scariest bit. Yeah i suppose i overdid the mud. In my head i imagined it had just been through a big swampy puddle! I appreciate the input, and I'm off to sterilise the tank microbes :)

• Like 1