Yet another Airfix 1/72nd Beaufighter TF.X from 45 Sqn in Malaya,....1948, grey and green scheme.

Hiya Folks,

I started this one last year along with my other 45 Sqn Beau`s but due to going into hospital etc it fell by the wayside,....however I`ve finally got it finished and here it is, wearing the original delivery scheme employed by 45 Sqn Beau`s with Ocean Grey/ Dark Green topsides and Medium Sea Grey undersides;

DSCF0521DSCF0518DSCF0519DSCF0520DSCF0509DSCF0511

As well as the late style rocket rails, these Beau`s also had bomb racks fitted inboard but these are not included in the kit, so the racks were made from halves of a 250lb bomb and plastic sprue with bombs from an old Matchbox Mossie kit.

As usual t is brush painted and I used my rapidly dwindling supply of Polly Scale colours,

Cheers

Tony

Edit- here is the real Beau;

Image result for 45 sqn beaufighter

Edit,..edit,....here is a photo of all four 45 Sqn Beau models,......the two at the front are Airfix,...those behind are Hasegawa;

DSCF0528

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 70

Tony,

I'm really liking these 45 Squadron Beaufighters and it's a far flung plan of mine to kit as many of the squadrons aircraft within the goodness of time.  

Seeing these Beau's all painted up is like someone's just handed me a full colour edition of Jefford's epic volume "The Flying Camels".

The bright red spinners and brick red wingtips certainly lift this one away from the normal dull wartime shades.

The additional inner bomb carriers are also a nice touch.

Cheers and well done... Dave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Tony,

I'm really liking these 45 Squadron Beaufighters and it's a far flung plan of mine to kit as many of the squadrons aircraft within the goodness of time.  

Seeing these Beau's all painted up is like someone's just handed me a full colour edition of Jefford's epic volume "The Flying Camels".

The bright red spinners and brick red wingtips certainly lift this one away from the normal dull wartime shades.

The additional inner bomb carriers are also a nice touch.

Cheers and well done... Dave.

Cheers Dave,.....that book has been my main reference and I intend to do one of the Vengeance`s soon too. The brick red wingtips represent doped fabric repairs on this wooden assembly. I always appreciate your comments to cheers mate,

Tony

The wing ends in brick red (is it a primer?) really add something that attracts interest ...

Kudos to you for always looking out for something special in the paintwork.

Your models are very satisfying to look at.

• Like 1

A BEAUty Tony.  I haven't picked one of these up yet but after seeing yours it is on the shopping list for sure.  Just one comment / question - I see bright paint "chipping" on the exhaust collector rings.  Were the exhaust collectors painted aluminum or were they treated steel ? In other words, I thought they were a dark metallic (steel?) construction and they turned a little blue/ rusty over time so if they were damaged they would show dark metal rather than aluminum/bright.  Just a question for you as I know you know a lot more about these aircraft and have a seemingly bottomless resource of photos. Not meant as a criticism mate! 

Cheers!!

• Like 1

That's a lovely looking model Tony, as usual. The splash of colour on the wing tips is interesting (I had no idea that they were wooden).

what are you going o do when your Polly Scale colours have run out?

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind comments folks.

2 hours ago, Bill Bunting said:

A BEAUty Tony.  I haven't picked one of these up yet but after seeing yours it is on the shopping list for sure.  Just one comment / question - I see bright paint "chipping" on the exhaust collector rings.  Were the exhaust collectors painted aluminum or were they treated steel ? In other words, I thought they were a dark metallic (steel?) construction and they turned a little blue/ rusty over time so if they were damaged they would show dark metal rather than aluminum/bright.  Just a question for you as I know you know a lot more about these aircraft and have a seemingly bottomless resource of photos. Not meant as a criticism mate! 

Cheers!!

Hiya Bill,...I like what you did there! It really is a nice kit and well worth it. Beau`s have collector rings in all colours, probably depending on how old and well used they were and what coatings had been appied. When researching RAAF Beau`s I was struck as to just how silver some of the collector rings were,...... of course most had a black coating added,..... and had Humbrol Polished Steel  still been available  I would have used that,.... but as I have been unable to buy a replacement tin of this for months this was the only metallic shade I had,....I may just go over the chips. 

2 hours ago, Beard said:

That's a lovely looking model Tony, as usual. The splash of colour on the wing tips is interesting (I had no idea that they were wooden).

what are you going o do when your Polly Scale colours have run out?

Hiya Beard,....yes I was surprised at them being wooden too,......but the Mk.X had wooden tips because there was an antenna inside them. As for my Polly Scale supply,......well I`m still experimenting with replacements but nothing comes close really for brush painting. Humbrol acrylics thinned down are OK, as are Xtracrylics but Humbrol enamels are about the best bet,... which is a shame as I don`t really want to go back to enamels for everything as I`ve got used to the shorter drying times!

Cheers again folks,

Tony``. 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Hello,Tony - Hoping this message finds you in good health and spirit.

The Beaufighter is one of my favourite WW2 types and like all your builds,this displays your hallmark expertise and quality of finishing work.

I hope I don't offend any WW2 aircraft purists when I say that Hurricane and Spitfire make an ideal pair and consider that the Beaufighter and Mosquito make a winning combination too.

Great work as always.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 2

Hi Tony

I hope you are okay now after your hospital stay.  I like this a lot, looks fabulous and another great build.

Keep up the good work fella time to get that Buffalo started !!!

All the best
Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

As for my Polly Scale supply,......well I`m still experimenting with replacements but nothing comes close really for brush painting. Humbrol acrylics thinned down are OK, as are Xtracrylics but Humbrol enamels are about the best bet,... which is a shame as I don`t really want to go back to enamels for everything as I`ve got used to the shorter drying times!

I hesitate to make suggestions to you but Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats are good paints, albeit enamel, they haven't got the range Humbrol have but they do all the camouflage colours and are very accurate.

I notice that you can't get Humbrol Metalcote either, my LMS only has Gunmetal and told me they've been on order for months. Mr Colour make a range of 'burnishable' acrylics and have their Burnt Iron, which is okay, I planned to get some more when I was out for my wife's birthday on Saturday but was too busy drinking to get to the model shop in the town we were in.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Beard said:

I hesitate to make suggestions to you but Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats are good paints, albeit enamel, they haven't got the range Humbrol have but they do all the camouflage colours and are very accurate.

I`ve used the Colourcoats range when it was done by the ship people and I agree that the colours look spot on,.... but I found them a little wsihy washy for brush painting and by the time you`ve build the colour up coat by coat it ends up being a bit too thick. I have the colours that I need which you cannot get anywhere else such as Sky Grey,..... but I`m not all that keen on using them unless I have to. 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

That's a lovely model Tony :)

As always, I admire your superb paintwork; really good, precise demarcation on the camouflage here.

This version of the Beaufighter really is a formidable multi-purpose weapon, I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of one.

For fast drying acrylic pleasant to apply by brush, I would strongly recommend Lifecolor paints. It takes a number of costs to build them up, but they dry quickly, nice and flat and the colour range is good.

Looking forward to your Vengeance!

:goodjob:

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks for your kind comments folks.

Hiya Bill,...Beau`s have collector rings in all colours, probably depending on how old and well used they were and what coatings had been appied. When researching RAAF Beau`s I was struck as to just how silver some of the collector rings were,...... of course most had a black coating added,..... 

Cheers again folks,

Tony``. 

You see I KNEW that you had good knowledge on the subject.  Thanks for the education and please keep those models coming!  Glad to hear you're on the mend too.  

Cheers 

• Like 1

Tony, 

How about a glamour shot of all these 45 Squadron Beaus together?

Come to think of it, what's your opinion on the PRU Blue underside depicted Beaufighter (OB-D / RD816) that's often seen in colour side profiles and that Xtradecal sheet? I have doubts that this ever existed myself, however would be keen to see what you think? 

Cheers.. Dave

On 2017-6-2 at 2:50 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Tony, 

How about a glamour shot of all these 45 Squadron Beaus together?

Come to think of it, what's your opinion on the PRU Blue underside depicted Beaufighter (OB-D / RD816) that's often seen in colour side profiles and that Xtradecal sheet? I have doubts that this ever existed myself, however would be keen to see what you think? 

Cheers.. Dave

Hiya Dave,.....OK then,.....here are a couple of `glamour shots' of all four models together;

DSCF0528

DSCF0525_zpstdox5n3r.jpg

As for the one with PRU undersides,......personally I`m unsure about it wearing said scheme and probably edge towards being dubious. There is a photo of the aircraft on page 333 of the book `The Flying Camels' showing it to have post war style roundels and without the Sky or White rear fuselage band,.....but I`m more inclined to think that it wears Ocean Grey, Dk Green and Medium Sea Grey colours. The undersides don`t look any darker than other Beau`s operated by 45 Sqn. 

All the best mate,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

Nice one Tony, I only wish there was a 'love it' button rather than one that just says 'like'. That's a truly lovely display of Bristols finest product to ever grace the skies. I'm not even going to pick a favourite, they are all superb. 

Thanks for the combined photographs and 4 x inspiration. 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1