1/48 - North American FJ-2/-3 & -3M Fury by Kitty Hawk - FJ-2 & FJ-3 released - upgrade/date sets by Hypersonic Models

Homebee

Cybermodeler's Kit Release Schedule now shows the FJ-3 as scheduled to be released in 2018.  No more data there beyond that. I'm anxiously awaiting this one, it's on the top of my bucket list.  I saw one on a pole outside of Beaufort, S.C. last week just to tweek my anxious level a bit.  Hope it's out early in 2018.  Still looking for my Roden O-2 also, since I flew in them.

Edited by Romad601

It appears from the box art they have this Marine Fury in a gray over white scheme. It should be overall natural metal. How much research material was given to Kitty Hawk by Tommy and Bert not to mention the voluminous amount of online photos and data? 

Still, I'm happy to finally see something happening. 

Edited by jpk

Looks nicer that way. To bad but the only FJ-2 I have been able the find wearing gray/white is a Reserve machine; photo at the very back of the Ginter book.

As suggested by Rex over on ARC, VMF-232 did have some -2 Fury's with the gray over white scheme very late during the change over. There's a photo on page 28 in Ginter's book on the -2 Fury. Regardless of the art work's minor boo boo, I certainly will buy it. 

Edited by jpk

This is a late-service FJ-2 on the boxart (nose-door lamp/no windshield wiper/ribbed rudder by the looks): so the scheme is correct. However the carrier setting for a late-service aircraft isn't!  I also hope that the 'Marines' fuselage markings are larger on the decal sheet...

Gray/white FJ-2s discussed on the earlier thread:

Edited by Sabrejet

• 3 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...

Well I'm glad to see it labelled as an FJ-2 with the shallow intake, but hope that those mid-fuselage sugar scoop intakes are just to show how the FJ-3 will look (or are plug-ins). I shall still get one: shape looks good for an FJ-2 and there are still some nice Navy Reserve schemes to do on those.

15 hours ago, Homebee said:

On display at the All Japan Model & Hobby Show 2018

Source: https://hobbylink.tv/the-latest-scale-model-news-from-the-all-japan-model-hobby-show-2018/

IMG_4851.jpg

V.P.

It's a shame I don't succumb to 1/48 as this looks nice ;)

Martin

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

It's a shame I don't succumb to 1/48 as this looks nice ;)

Martin

I on the other hand am a scale slut, whilst 1/72nd is my preferred scale, its subject that matters more to me, therefore if it's as good as it looks and most importantly, accurate, then I will succumb.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed over on Cybermodeler the listings for the Kitty Hawk FJ Fury's on their new kit release schedule have been deleted. This usually means release is imminent, usually but not always. The release for the FJ-3 was slated for October so hopefully that is correct.

It also appears the KH 1/48 F7U-3 Cutlass has also been deleted from the list. We can only wait to see.

Edited by jpk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well sadly it looks like the FJ-2 intake and gun ports did make it on to the FJ-3M: it will be a difficult one for the aftermarket to resolve. I hope they sort it prior to release but my suspicion is that they've done a semi-ESCI and tried to get two types from one mould.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Hmm.... 1/48 isn't my thing but it is frustrating if this eventually emerges with the wrong intake :(. After so long how can they get the mood of the audience so wrong?

Martin

13 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Well sadly it looks like the FJ-2 intake and gun ports did make it on to the FJ-3M: it will be a difficult one for the aftermarket to resolve. I hope they sort it prior to release but my suspicion is that they've done a semi-ESCI and tried to get two types from one mould.

Trumpyboss and Kitty Hawk seem to use their CAD model to design the painting/decaling leaflets. I've overlayed a profile from KH's FJ-2 leaflet to a profile from their FJ-3 leaflet with colour inversion for one of them.

khFj2vsFj3.jpg

You can see the FJ-3 front fuselage is deeper than the FJ-2 front fuselage.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Personally I think things will be ok with the  KH Fury, both the -2 and -3 versions. Looking closely at the various available images of the actual plastic here's what I think the plastic breakdown of the basic two versions will be. We all know how fond multi part fuselages are with KH. Similar to what KH did with their Cougar versions there will be two different forward fuselage halves for the 2 and 3 with the proper sized intakes for each version.  There is a fuselage break in the kit where the break is in the actual aircraft just aft of the trailing edge of the wing. If you look very closely at the break where those intakes are on the rear fuselage, those appear to be like inserts. They will have the NACA intakes for the 2 and the scoops for the 3. For the wings, the basic wing structure that houses the gear wells and control surfaces will be the same for both kits. There will be separate leading edge parts with slats for the 2 and cambered edge for the 3. The break will be along lead spar.   

Edited by jpk

• 1 month later...