Westland Wasp HAS1 in 1:72 scale

This model has been a long drawn out WIP over there as  http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235008954-navy-ation-wasp-the-last-post/ for a long time

I had encouragement from many of our friends, not only those of a nautical bent I add, and had a very enjoyable journey through the possible, the feasible and the down-right inadvisable

I have wanted a Wasp in my collection for a long time, the last time I had one Alan Hall was still in the business of entertaining us with his Airfix Magazine, long before this conversion raised its exciting little head again in Aviation News

I would have bought the long awaited Freightdog model but Colin's difficulty with some aspects of production and my advancing years made me jump the gun with a refined version of the old Airfix mag favourite  (I am old you know!)

So with the timely gift of an Airfix Scout AH1 kit that had no transparencies to get me on the road here is my Wasp to inspect

P1120803.jpg

P1120816.jpg

P1120815.jpg

P1120817.jpg

P1120819.jpg

P1120820.jpg

P1120825.jpg

P1120826.jpg

P1120828.jpg

P1120829.jpg

That is the lot, hope you like her

I had lots of fun, quite a bit of blearghh and some moments of "lend me your towel I want to chuck it in the ring!"

This is the moment after a long drawn out build that the missing kit comes out at last, I say bring it on please Colin

Or even Airfix, are you watching the Britmodeller site?

Thanks for looking

Edited by perdu
  • Like 74

There really are no words to describe this one, Bill, she really is absolutely stunning! So much going on in such a small area, and all of it perfectly executed. Very well done indeed, next round's on me! Just for God's sake make sure you use a different beer mat!!!!

Ian

• Like 1

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!

...and in 1:72 scale!......something I don't think you mentioned here Bill!

Thoroughly enjoyed watching you put this together in WIP....Excellent Job!....and great photos!:wicked:

:worthy:                           

• Like 1

I'm stunned. That is just absolutely incredibly good Bill :o!

I missed all but the earliest stages of the WIP. I'm going to have to go back with a pot of tea or three and read the whole thing.

There's no way any 'off the shelf' model could ever hold a candle to this, it's pure modelling artistry. To date the best and most detailed model I've ever seen.

Its really interesting to look at, as Ian says, there's so much going on :thumbsup2: 

:worthy: 

I'm lost for more words like; 'impressed', 'amazed', 'in awe' and so on.

Let's settle on:

:goodjob: 

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, er, I did realise I'd neglected to scale it Fozzy but...

And I tried really hard with the photoggerry too

Edited the heading now  :)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Superb Bill, just superb.

An enjoyable and very educational WiP. Thanks very much for sharing the trials, tribulations and successes!

Has to be a winner at Telford or there's no justice in this world :) 

• Like 1

Beautiful work on that Bill & a hugely rewarding journey. I don't think I've the skills or patience to attempt this as you have, so I'll just wait on Colin's one & enjoy yours in the meantime. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Its just a jumbled mess of blades, wires and bizarre bits and bobs stuck all over the place, which is just as well as it perfectly resembles the real thing. Absolutely wonderful master class in micro plastic engineering, as we say in the Navy ..... BZ young man!

Bob

• Like 1

I don't know which is the greatest pleasure, seeing this  jewel resplendent here in all its final glory, or having watched it unfold gradually over the last weeks and months. Either way Bill, thanks for sharing such a gorgeous piece of craftsmanship with us.

Tony

• Like 1

In the early 80's, I remember it so well, stood out on one of the spots of 772 NAS waiting for my Wessex V to return. You could hear this drone far far away, straining my then young eyes up Chesil Beach a black dot could be seen, the dot would get louder and bigger until it crossed the beach and slowed over the piano keys of runway 22. The Wasp of 829 NAS would come to a majestic halt then lurch over to its designated spot on the other side of the runway. Finally squashing its extended undercarriage with its wheels pointing 90% away from each other. 

The model brings back great memories of this lovely little aircraft. Well done sir, it's stunning.

• Like 1

As the others have said Bill, a simply superlative build in so small a scale. Superfine detailing and scratch building, plus an education as to what is a wonderful little flying thingy. For me, apart from the banter and what was a wonderfully entertaining, enjoyable and informative thread, was that it really was a WIP - mistakes were made, put right, proof of concepts, experiments, abortive attempts binned etc. We got to see it all - no edits - and saw it evolve from rudimentary lumps of plastic to a micro work of art. Oh of course I have to say I have seen it with my naked eyes and actually touched it!

Sad the build thread is over, but as they say: "The King is dead, Long Live the King!" Bring on the Bucc build.

• Like 1