1/35 Nashorn (Tamiya)

Hello, this is only of my first AFV's so it was a great change from doing aircraft which I have been doing for most of my modelling life. This was a bit of a side project and one that turned into a very enjoyable build, the kits was built out of the box with the exception on the radio mast and the tow rope on the front hull, this was made out of twisted solder wire. As it turned out well (that's my opinion) I thought id do a little diorama for it to sit on and give the overall effect I was after. The paints used on the Nashorn were all Tamiya Acrylic and the 'weathered' white wash effect was done using the hairspray technique (never did it before and liked the overall result) 

IMG_0165_zpssnnkbr1z.jpg

IMG_0161_zpsinncgee7.jpg

IMG_0145_zpsyfezhb3s.jpg

IMG_0107_zpsal71ev38.jpg

IMG_0105_zpsgt6kg2zu.jpg

IMG_0101_zpsaevcwoxq.jpg

IMG_0097_zpsieqoeo32.jpg

IMG_0083_zpshhvvak1w.jpg

And a couple on the diorama I built

IMG_0120_zpsb5dkg2lz.jpg

IMG_0125_zpsgdsnbbvd.jpg

IMG_0130_zpspcuc98df.jpg

I hope you all like this build, it was a nice change and I think I may do a few more :-)

• Like 19

Superb work for a first AFV. The weathering is near perfect, the mud on the tracks is exceptional and the overall look of the beast is fantastic. And well done on getting that gun and shield looking neat... I know it's a bit of a fussy job getting everything to fit exactly right.

As for the base that's great too, although I'd like to have seen a few branches remaining on some of the trunks and a hell of a lot of branches/woodchip on the ground.

I built the same kit a year ago and had it virtually finished, then ruined the whole thing trying to apply snow. Hairspray is great for sticking snow to the model, but beware trying to wash off the excess with water!

Bicarb, water and hairspray make a near perfect paint remover!

I spent a week stripping my Nashorn right back to the bare plastic, using just that mix, and then re-painted it pretty much to the same level as yours. And then had the model fall apart in my hands.... grrrrrrr!  (I guess the bicarb, hairspray and water is also good at destroying CA bonds!!!

I will definitely build another one day.

I look forward to seeing your next AFV!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

Woodchips and branches, as Badfer said, would add another layer of greatness to this diorama. The smashed tree parts must be somewhere?!? I really like the Nashorn!

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 1:08 AM, Badder said:

Superb work for a first AFV. The weathering is near perfect, the mud on the tracks is exceptional and the overall look of the beast is fantastic. And well done on getting that gun and shield looking neat... I know it's a bit of a fussy job getting everything to fit exactly right.

As for the base that's great too, although I'd like to have seen a few branches remaining on some of the trunks and a hell of a lot of branches/woodchip on the ground.

I built the same kit a year ago and had it virtually finished, then ruined the whole thing trying to apply snow. Hairspray is great for sticking snow to the model, but beware trying to wash off the excess with water!

Bicarb, water and hairspray make a near perfect paint remover!

I spent a week stripping my Nashorn right back to the bare plastic, using just that mix, and then re-painted it pretty much to the same level as yours. And then had the model fall apart in my hands.... grrrrrrr!  (I guess the bicarb, hairspray and water is also good at destroying CA bonds!!!

I will definitely build another one day.

I look forward to seeing your next AFV!

Rearguards,

Badder

In fairness your right, but I had the same thought myself about adding more debris.....but that was only after I had 'snowed' it up, so maybe I should have thought about it more before the snowing of the base, we live and learn (well we hope we do lol) It was a real DOH! moment though.

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I wish that my first AFV had looked half as good as this. Well done.

John.

Thanks John, I have been modelling for quite a while but not in the AFV genre so its not really my first model as such..........trust me, my first ever was shocking but that was about 30 years ago :-)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Great work!

Nashorn looks excellent, do like the worn winter whitewash, that coupled with the figures and base makes a superb display.

Feels cold and harsh, almost dystopian to look at due to the essentially black and white finish. 

Darryl