BPF FAA Hellcat Mk.I Serials/Registration Numbers/Codes

Kleio

17 hours ago, iang said:

Nope. The reason you are not getting very far is because there is very little extant primary data, so the secondary sources have little to work with.  Overall, Indefatigable was the worst carrier for recording aircraft identities and a great many Seafires were written off in deck-landing accidents. I'm working through the Admiralty documents that have survived, pilots' log books and photographs and have made only limited progress. I have a lot of gaps in both the Seafire and Avenger lists. Only the Fireflies are pretty complete - at least until 1772 replaced 1770. 

Hi Ian,

I think I might have figured out some.  I have been trying to cross reference  FAA Aircraft 39-45 with some other odds and sods.  I have what I've got so far in a spreadsheet your welcome to a copy if you want it, it might save a bit of typing..

• Like 2

On 6/3/2017 at 13:11, Grey Beema said:

Hi Ian,

I think I might have figured out some.  I have been trying to cross reference  FAA Aircraft 39-45 with some other odds and sods.  I have what I've got so far in a spreadsheet your welcome to a copy if you want it, it might save a bit of typing..

Many thanks for the offer. It's much appreciated, but I'm trying to construct these lists entirely from primary sources. It may be that some secondary sources have had access to primary material that I've not seen, so in the end I might supplement them with information drawn from secondary sources (in which case I'll gratefully take you up on your offer), but for the time being I'm going to stick exclusively to Admiralty documents, flying log books and photographs. 

Cheers

IG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iang said:

... I'm trying to construct these lists entirely from primary sources. .... but for the time being I'm going to stick exclusively to Admiralty documents, flying log books and photographs.

I appreciate the intellectual rigour you are bringing to your task - and look forward to your making the results available to the wider world in due course.

• Like 1

On 30.05.2017 at 1:08 AM, Gomtuu said:

hellcat-jw782-nose-art_zpsatfchclm.jpg

Not quite the same aircraft, just 1 serial number out. Representative?

Very nice overpaintings etc.! BTW - here C7 and expecially R looks like outlined. The basic colour of character is darkered than white. Yellow? (like in Meditarraean theater?) or rather sky? Outline, if exists - red? Dk Blue? By the way - I think that on colour photos al lettering looks just flat white. The prop is blue since the knife hand is black . So if black is black, prop is not black!

On 30.05.2017 at 2:20 AM, Troy Smith said:

16292745962_5aa6851b84_o.jpgFAA  Grumman Hellcat. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

good for wear, fading and staining, note the light paint on plane in rear where roundel has been repainted, and again scuffed back to primer on wing

5563260449_7cf7215962_o.jpgHellcat. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

assume this is R5F, but no serial listed

Edited Tuesday at 02:26 AM by Troy Smith

Cheers

J-W

3 hours ago, iang said:

Many thanks for the offer. It's much appreciated, but I'm trying to construct these lists entirely from primary sources. It may be that some secondary sources have had access to primary material that I've not seen, so in the end I might supplement them with information drawn from secondary sources (in which case I'll gratefully take you up on your offer), but for the time being I'm going to stick exclusively to Admiralty documents, flying log books and photographs. 

Cheers

IG

No worries.  You are going the right way, I have limited references.  Just gimme a shout if you want it..

BTW I know SLt Joseph Browne's Grandson so if you ID his Aircraft ID please let me know..

Edited by Grey Beema

• 6 years later...