Wingnut Wings 1/32 Bristol F.2b Sunbeam Arab - FINISHED (at last)!!

Managed to get a late night bout of modelling in last night and got a few things finished of and a few other bits started and finished. I did think that this one would take longer than it is (so far), but I seem to be inspired by what I've managed to do so far and it's spurring me on. I'm sure it won't last.

OK so I started the cylinder blocks a few nights ago but have finally managed to get the spark plugs made (circa 0.7mm brass tube with a 0.5mm brass rod electrode), as well as the exhaust manifold flanges (sprue bolt heads will be sanded almost flush). I had toyed with the idea of doing the exhaust flanges as part of the exhaust but I suspect it will be easier this way.

a17

With that done  I could now do a test-fit of everything against the top cowling, so I tacked the cylinder blocks in place on my composite crankcase (I'll be removing the blocks for adjusting fit) and balanced the rocker covers on top as well as the top cowling. Luckily it all looks OK and so I was able to mark any bits which needed trimming as well as being able to confirm the final location for the cylinder blocks.

a18

While I was there I also checked that the hole in the cowling would be large enough to provide a perpendicular attachment for the exhaust/stubs:

a19

And then a quick mock-up exhaust pipe to see that everything looked right and in correct relation to the other bits.

a21

Next I was able to drill the hole for the sump plug in the bottom cowling:

a20

And then able to tape the cowlings firmly in place so that I could mark up the area of bottom cowling that needed to be trimmed and also the part to be removed for the exhaust: ditto for the top.

a22

Finally, with many deep breaths I took the plunge and did an almost-final trim of both cowlings. I've left a bit spare for adjustment, just in case. Massive sigh of relief to find that they fit and look OK. Note that the corner radii on the bottom cowling exhaust aperture are like that on the real Arab F.2b (i.e of larger radius than the top): it looks sloppy and I wonder why they did it like that. 

a24

Then some final holes to make, ensuring that the prominent magneto access holes line up with the magneto beneath the cowling (more on the magnetos soon).

a25

And there we are: cowlings almost done: they need a few fasteners and a last trim, but 95% done. The rest must be easy eh?

Final bit last night was the rocker covers: I wasn't happy with the sprue 'bolts', so took them off and substituted some made from brass wire. I also thought that the rocker covers looked too wide, so I have thinned them down by about 2mm and they now look more representative I think/hope.

a27

Oh and I also have chopped a big bit out of the top of my main fore-aft former: this way I'll be able to see through the gap between top panel and rocker cover, just like on the real aircraft. Unfortunately it also means I may need to make a few other bits (carb/manifold), so it all looks right....

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

This may be of use..

http://www.taurusmodels.pl/products.htm

about half way down they show a hub for a Camel/Snipe. It looks pretty much the same to what you have here..

Ian

Well that's an eye-opener: thanks for the link. I could have used their spark plugs too! Ah well. For sure I will be visiting that site soon.

• Like 1

Beautiful work on the engine and cowlings! I must admit to being a little apprehensive when I saw what you'd planned. With the detail in the base WnW kit it would look odd if that level of detail were not matched in the conversion. I see I needn't have worried, top marks!

Ian

Magnetos. The Arab has its magnetos driven off the rear of the engine via right-angle drives, just as the Falcon does, but the shape of magneto is very different between the two (I think both are BTH manufacture however).

Falcon magneto first photo, Arab second:

28a

28b

I modified the kit parts by shaving off the mounting stub, punched out two small disc/cylinders from plasticard and then put it all together with a brass rod to mount it onto the engine:

And then mounted them, drilled holes for the ignition wiring and wired it all up. I'm sure I've got the firing order wrong, but it looks OK to me.

Finally a quick check with the bottom cowling in place showed that not much of any of it will be seen!

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 6

Small update: engine painted and washed:

33 (2)

And a quick check to see how the sump will look:

34 (2)

Next step: reduction gearbox to fill that hole at the front...

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 5

Reduction gearbox: needs to look like this (red dims scaled to 1/32).

35a

Deep breath. Three plies of thick plastic card and here we go...

35 (2)

36 (2)

37 (2)

38 (2)

39 (2)

to be continued...

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 2

Reduction gearbox Pt.2:

Quick fit check...

41 (2)

Then onwards again.

43 (2)

Nuther check....

And finally...

Fills the hole nicely!

Next steps will be exhaust headers and the front face of the radiator. Going well so far so hopefully won't be long til the next instalment.

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 9

21 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Fills the hole nicely!

Next steps will be exhaust headers and the front face of the radiator. Going well so far so hopefully won't be long til the next instalment.

That is some engineering there SJ...looking good.

Turning to the lower cowling, I took note of limeypilot and bought a few of Taurus Models' accessories. The Arab lower cowling is fairly featureless but does have a row of round-head rivets or screws along its aft edges. So Taurus came to the rescue with Round-Head Screws (head diameter 0.42mm), of which you get 48 for just a few quid. I needed around 30, so a few spares thankfully!

56 (2)

I have to say that these things are tiny, but being made of resin, they break off the casting block easily and don't leave burred ends, which would hinder their installation into the required hole. Taurus says to drill at 0.35mm but erring on a bit of a sloppy fit instead of a difficult time putting them in, I went for a 1/64-inch (circa 0.39mm) drill bit in a pin vice. I also did a couple of trial fits in a piece of plastic card, just to see how (or more likely if) I could get these to work...

I then made up a couple of simple 'tools' to fit the screws: on the left below is a blob of Blu-Tack which I used to pick the screws up; and at right a piece of thin wire attached to an old paint brush handle, to use as a superglue applicator. I put glue in the hole, picked up the screw with the Blu-Tack and then held my breath a lot.

Obviously the cowling needed to be drilled, so I did just the side edges first:

And here's the first side done: and no screws lost to the carpet monster either!

59a

And now that I had a bit of confidence, I drilled the rest of the holes and a couple of hours later voila!

Loved every minute of this job and will definitely recommend these Taurus products: I have also bought some wing nuts for attaching the cowlings later in the build.

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Courageous said:

And their I was thinking you were going to tap those holes...:whistle:

Mmm. Now there's a thought... ;)

(The wing nuts from Taurus do have threads on the male ends, so not as mad as it sounds!) 

Just caught up this this, and wow, it's the work of a true master craftsman. The work on the engine is just beautiful, as are the cowlings. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through it all, and can't wait to see more progress.

Cheers

John

Thanks again all for your kind comments.

I have built many kits over the years, from Accurate Armour 1/35 tanks through Eagles Talon 1/48 vac-form aircraft to Provence Moulage 1/43 resin cars. I'd certainly say that WNW are the best aircraft kits I've made.

If I can make my modifications even partially live up to those standards then I'll have done a great job. 

That engine and reduction gearbox is gorgeous, this is going to look pretty spectacular when all done. Glad you found some other useful bits at Taurus, I don't build in this scale but they have a very good reputation over on WW1aircraftmodels forum.

Ian