Halifax B Mk. I/II/GRII - Revell 1/72

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Simon - sadly that's the 'Z nose' that is no longer on the FD site

Radiator, prop and exhausts on their way from Hannants

The Revell Tollerton nose from the later kit is fine - you don't need the Fd one. However,  I have a couple of Fd's, so for your next Halifax............. (hahaha)

You are fitting up the nacelles etc but you need to hack most of them off if you use the FD or AML resin sets.

You may consider thinning down the mainwheels as they are a little bloated but don't thin them to scale width or they will look too skinny for the wheelbays.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, perdu said:

Ced's pic of the Hallybag shows nacelles that would swiftly respond to the attentions of a six inch half round second cut

My traditional modelling tool of choice. 😀

Bill's right. He told me to buy one too. I did and I wish I'd had one years ago.

• Like 3

Indeed, how do you all think we made the tools that made your 'stuff'? (before 3D printery of course)

A six inch half round second cut is the tool what made the world, ask any 'other' toolmaker

"Somethng not quite right on the profile you've bunged on the lathe? Six inch..."

Cures all

9 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Going off topic briefly Ced, are you aware that Radio 4Extra are doing the original " Navy Lark" series at the moment, in fact it's on now.

I managed to catch the last six or seven minutes

Utter brilliance with added Pertwee magnificence

Do you know what the broadcast times are Biggles?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, perdu said:

A little bit of morphing can only do a retired gentleman good Ced, you will find that you and morphment are well suited

Nice work on the engine body bit/fit too

Looking at those chaps holding down the Stirling gives me a little frisson, my dad could have been on the other side of that one

And looking UP, look how high that wing is

No wonder he broke his arm as he ice-nonskated off one one cold and frosty morn

Ced's pic of the Hallybag shows nacelles that would swiftly respond to the attentions of a six inch half round second cut

My traditional modelling tool of choice. 😀

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Bill's right. He told me to buy one too. I did and I wish I'd had one years ago.

Thanks Bill and Tony - I do foresee some modelling in my retirement! A six inch half round second cut is now on my shopping list and my expectations are high!

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I do hope Freightdog aren't going to disappear without trace, I really like Colin's stuff - got a shoebox full of his stuff waiting for the 'one day' I finally get round to using it!

10 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

The Revell Tollerton nose from the later kit is fine - you don't need the Fd one. However,  I have a couple of Fd's, so for your next Halifax............. (hahaha)

You are fitting up the nacelles etc but you need to hack most of them off if you use the FD or AML resin sets.

You may consider thinning down the mainwheels as they are a little bloated but don't thin them to scale width or they will look too skinny for the wheelbays.

Thanks Keith and Ed - Colin replied earlier today and he's still in business but his clear caster has retried so he has no clear parts at the moment. He has confirmed that the Mk III nose is suitable so we're on!

Ed I'll get ready to hack when the resin arrives - I'm sure there's some tool in my kit that will sort the fit. Or maybe I need that half round sooner rather than later?

10 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Going off topic briefly Ced, are you aware that Radio 4Extra are doing the original " Navy Lark" series at the moment, in fact it's on now.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I managed to catch the last six or seven minutes

Utter brilliance with added Pertwee magnificence

Do you know what the broadcast times are Biggles?

Thanks John - Yes! I've caught the last few (and previous series) and I love it - "Left hand down a bit"!

They're re-playing Series 1 at the moment on Radio4 Xtra on Wednesdays at 0800 repeated at 1200 and 1900, also available on Radio Player here.

Only 8 days left to listen to episode 1 so get it on!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Bill and Tony - I do foresee some modelling in my retirement! A six inch half round second cut is now on my shopping list and my expectations are high!

High is right Ced

You will love it

• Like 1

Thanks Keith - nice email, nice guy :)

Thanks Bill - magic file ordered! Engineer's one too, extra expectations. Along with a file card to clean this and my rifflers (my wire brushes are cheap and useless).

• Like 2

Ced, you know that to fit either Freightdog's or Revell's Z fairing, you'll have to remove the two pieces that you added to the front of the fuselage.

These two:

Tollerton3

Chris

• Like 1

There you are gents, Ced's given you chapter and verse. I listened to the first episode a few weeks ago and intended to post something but then got distracted. It's also followed by Hancock's half hour which makes it even better.

John

• Like 3

Thanks Bill - forewarned is forearmed! No doubt the card will come with several pages of H&S warnings...  Isn't it great that our education taught us about such things? Mr Shiela, our Metalwork teacher, was certainly one of the early influences in my life and his teaching still stays with me. Apart from knowing what a 'file card' is my main memory is of "Packing up time lads" and that 'tidying up is part of the job". Sadly he wasn't able to pass on any of his skill...

As you know I try to compensate for my lack of skills with tools and, now that I have a six inch second cut half round on its way I'm looking forward to being able to 'scratch like Bill'! :D 

Thanks Chris, very helpful. When the parts arrive I'll get the scalpels out :) 

Thanks John! R4x is my 'go to' station first thing in the morning; I love the old comedy shows, and some of their new ones aren't that bad either!

18 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Apologies Ed, I realise I didn't properly reply to this. Thanks for your kind offer of the FD nose but I don't think I'll be doing another one... unless future stages makes her grow on me!

I'm building wheels up as usual so I won't need to worry about the wheel width but it will be useful for future readers.

I did have a quick look on the 'net for instructions on the AML set but I can't even find their website... and, sadly, most examples on their use on BM have been lost in the PB mess.

21 hours ago, CedB said:

I know they're to be supported and I will, but I do wish they'd move their warehouse closer to somewhere with a post office... I've asked for '24 hour' post but this doesn't seem to include the time it takes to get stuff to the nearest depot. Ho hum. That 'get it by 6pm' logistics lot have a lot to answer for in terms of raising our expectations.

I take this back, unreservedly! I'd previously had correspondence with them about an order that I was desperate for and they'd explained that someone had to drive their parcels to, I think, Norwich, so the 24 hour service didn't start until they handed over the parcel. This doesn't seem to apply to the DPD service - I've had an email to say the bits are being delivered today, worth the extra 50p.

I must start planning ahead though. For example, by reading the next page of the instructions, or even the whole lot! I guess, as my job involved planning and management, I'd taken some delight in following the instructions step-by-step with my 'work brain' turned off. Now I'm not using it for anything else (aha ha ha!) I can be a bit more 'Cedlike' and avoid last minute panic buys. Maybe.

We have scaffolders arriving today to get ready for the painters to start on the outside of the house. Better get ready!

I have plans for some 'sash window break down and repair' in the future (you can do this from the inside) but for now we just need the gutters and exterior painted. Fingers crossed that the newly found companies are pain free... I will report!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

There you are gents, Ced's given you chapter and verse. I listened to the first episode a few weeks ago and intended to post something but then got distracted. It's also followed by Hancock's half hour which makes it even better.

John

Quite scary to think being a Brummie makes you act like H-H--H--Hancock

That brilliant episode yesterday summed up my whole being

I keep far too much crap, no sweet coupons though thank g, but its obviously Brummie genes as does it

I should have persuaded the lady of the house ( which translates as house of the lady!) that she needed to hear it, maybe

Or on second thoughts...

Anyway, 708 on the DTV 1200hrs...check!

• Like 3

Enjoy Bill! :D 

Ta dah!

36000694116_83ed3e4f17_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Crikey, there's like EIGHT of everything... or four, except the... anyway, LOTS of bits, all requiring removal from the blocks. I think these might be easy to fit:

35652871920_d683dc7cbc_z.jpg

Famous last words.

The spinners are going to be hard to remove though:

36042459075_95eb81c809_z.jpg

I guess it's the chop and sand method, although I can just see the spinner outline... just. We shall see.

These look better than the kit ones don't they:

36000764666_c5bacf4a60_z.jpg

although my plan to paint them on the block has been thwarted - drat! Still, at least the PropMasterTM will get an outing.

Now I just need some resin sawing masked up don't forget the wet towel mojo...

• Like 15

Glad your bits have arrived (fnar, fnar) you will they make a huge difference to the look of the model.

Martian

• Like 2

Ced, I've just posted the Tollerton nose bits. They should be with you in a couple of days.

(Apologies, if they smell a little of curry but the only suitable container I could find was from a take away we had the other day. It has been through the dishwasher but may still have traces of whatever was in it.)

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 6

This build is getting more and more interesting - not unusual for a Ced-build :Tasty:

I'd say chopping and sanding for the resin spinner too, Ced; to somewhat reduce the chore, I normally do the biggest part of it using a Dremel (and a mandatory respirator, the type with fume filters - I always do when I have to deal with resin powders)

Ciao

• Like 2

Thanks Bill :) I think 'nice blades' is allowable as long as you don't follow it with 'blud'...

Thanks Martian - my bits, huge difference? Absolutely old boy, absolutely :) 

Simon MANY thanks for sending the nose bits - I'm sure any residual niff will add to the experience of opening the packet. Curry you say? Hope you enjoyed it :) 

Hi Giorgio - thanks for the tip... Dremel eh? POWER tool... there's a thought. I tried the Stew Dapple suggested 'patient scoring with a scalpel' method on this one:

36045900075_140e142d6b_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

and it took AGES. Sanded side towards you, honest (although I had considered turning it around but my morals prevailed). Power tools... hmmm :hmmm: 

I did get some Spadgent 'Dexter action' on the radiators:

36004245076_6fe4375407_z.jpg

and then chose a nano-saw for the tiny bits that go behind the radiator:

35912137281_31e75c0d6b_z.jpg

What? There, in the water... oh OK, here:

35206571124_8bc5e86ee4_z.jpg

I now have the gubbins (no, auto-correct, not Gibbons, cuh) to start on the radiators:

36046282815_942cb52e50_z.jpg

when they're dry.

• Like 12

One other thing I found very effective with resin, up to a certain thickness, is a sharp razor blade; this can help you removing the big part of the casting block, leaving to the usual sanding tools only the refining job

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 3

These things look proper.  You will have to sand the nacelles a bit (or more) to fix them, but it will be worth the effort. Good choice. Good to see it getting it in the the right direction. Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks Simon, always good to know :) 

Hi Giorgio - thanks for reminding me; I bought 100 of the things last time you suggested that and then promptly forgot about them - they'll be on the bench tomorrow! :) 

Thanks Celt and Benedikt - getting there :) 

Next chosen victim were the top intakes - skinny, but long and the 'tail' is part of the block you can just see at the end:

35663665080_64a2541566_z.jpg

The scalpel won't go through the block so I snapped off the protecting ends, cut the end first with a saw and then moved down from the thick end with a nano-saw using Bill (Navy Bird's) cross cut method. This left a ridge down the middle to be removed with a chisel blade. What's wrong with this picture?

36053647745_6cebb88a37_z.jpg

That's right, no blood - I got lucky. I find the more careful I am, the luckier I get (so far). Done now and the kit originals shaved off too:

36053665735_6a5a3da97c_n.jpg 35919503621_b226d90741_n.jpg

I'm doing all the cleaning up first as I want to use my thin CA and I've realised that the nozzle is blocked. I have more nozzles and tube but I'm going to do this in one go on the assumption the tube will block again. Nothing like saving a ha'porth of tar I always say...

• Like 13