Halifax B Mk. I/II/GRII - Revell 1/72

Hi Ceb! I think you've done the right thing. I always try to paint all these marks ... it's a little bit more work but you get a better finish. You had a problem with this .. but i think it's going to be better in this way.  

go for it! 

• Like 1

On 04/08/2017 at 08:43, giemme said:

Great save on the code letters :clap:  and yeah! roundel painting - way to go! :wink:  :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

On 04/08/2017 at 09:26, Biggles87 said:

Didn't you try pricking them? ( fnar fnar )

Thanks John - nah, they were too wrinkly. Horrid. Not sure what was wrong (they're the kit decals) but hey ho, gives me a chance to use some roundel paint :) 

On 04/08/2017 at 09:39, AlexN said:

Ah ha1 but you can sharpen them :D: rotate the end of the lefd (in the pencil) on a piece of fine-grade sandpaper kept for the purpose (400 - 600 grit) and there you'll have it. Simple. Easy. Fun! And you could use it for pricking transfers :).

Thanks Alex :) 

On 04/08/2017 at 09:46, keefr22 said:

Ced, I've mentioned it before, and Bill has just mentioned it again, but your paint really doesn't look shiny enough to prevent silvering, to my eyes anyway. I know I'm witching my next build here, but I haven't had any decals, including Xtradecals, silver for years. I always give the model enough coats of Klear to make the surface really glossy - this may take a day or two due to leaving the coats to dry - and then use the ''lay the decals into a fresh coat of Klear and give them another thin brushed on coat when on'' method. It may take longer to do, but saves all the faffing about trying to get rid of silvering! And again as Bill says, quick coat of rattle can or airbrush matt varnish will kill the shine...

Keith

On 04/08/2017 at 19:17, Spookytooth said:

Great save on the code letters Ced.

I always Gloss varnish before and after decals as a matter of course.

Simon.

Thanks Keith and Simon - yes, you've told me and I've been lazy again. I will learn, eventually...

On 04/08/2017 at 14:00, The Spadgent said:

Holy moley that's a bit extreme. Hope the painting goes well old bean . :)

jont

Thanks Johnny :) 

15 hours ago, Leonl said:

Great save on the letters... eek eek on the roundels...

Thanks Leon :) 

13 hours ago, Jamie_Graham said:

Hi Ceb! I think you've done the right thing. I always try to paint all these marks ... it's a little bit more work but you get a better finish. You had a problem with this .. but i think it's going to be better in this way.  

go for it! 

Thanks Jamie - hopefully tomorrow.

Back from the weekend helping younger daughter move in to her new flat. My assembly mojo has been completely exhausted thanks to a flat full of Ikea boxes, now furniture.

Hopefully some progress in the morning.

• Like 5

Better late than never, the fuselage got a coat of Klear ready for weathering:

35605825644_bfc93249c4_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Time for roundel masking. I'd been a bit restricted on this method because my standard circle cutter won't go small enough for the red bit, but now I have my new 'Super Cutting Compass' I can... realise I don't need it for big bomber roundels. Ho hum. Here they are on the mat with my collection of masking sheet:

35634109103_d24826aca6_z.jpg

I treated myself to a new sheet for these (every little helps). I used the Revell decal as a template but I didn't want to make a hole in it so I covered the sheet with the protection tissue and marked out the roundel sizes and used that to set the cutter:

36304657571_8a9bcc76fb_n.jpg 36441784115_fbae285d7a_n.jpg

The tape across the mask is to allow each part to be lifted without losing the alignment (in theory). Stuck on the wing and the outer mask carefully burnished down, taking special care over the panel lines:

36045224960_0f6303457f_z.jpg

Stynylrez white primer:

35634526003_f0a4a51958_z.jpg

Then outer segment of mask inserted and roundel red sprayed:

35608304564_7de053815f_z.jpg

While we're waiting for that to dry, details of the colour mixes I use, all Tamiya acrylics:

Dull Roundel Red - Mix of 75% flat Red (XF-7 ), 25% NATO Brown (XF-68)
Blue - Mix of 95% flat Blue (XF-8), 5% flat Black (XF-1)
Yellow - Flat Yellow (XF-3) with a tiny amount of flat Red (XF-7)

• Like 22

Ced,

You have chosen  the pilgrim's path of the painted roundels, something i would not care to attempt.

You are a braver man than me and doubtless more talented to attempt such a trek into modelling adversity.

I'm a gloss it then decal it chap.

Michael

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio, Keith, Martian, Michael, John, Tony and Johnny - all very kind :) 

Thanks Cookie - it's thanks to you that I even started this route and, as you can see below, I still need to try harder! :) 

Next stage, re-insert the red mask, THEN remove the blue, again burnishing well especially the panel lines. Then you can unmask the red:

35611502044_4bcac7e65c_n.jpg 36400906256_2a172907dd_n.jpg

Not bad. Spray the blue, wait a bit then OFF with the masks:

36278639392_f84d72cde3_z.jpg

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear (or words to that effect), like Cookie I've got some white showing. AND look at that 'ring around the collar' (old joke for our US friends)! I can understand the white bits (tee hee) but why, oh why, do the masked roundels appear to be smaller than the removed decals? Here's why:

36051064590_a8aab537b5_z.jpg

The Revell kit decals are smaller than the Xtradecal ones. Hmmm. Luckily (very luckily) for me I appear to have lined the masks up so that the painted roundels are in the same place - pure luck.

After a bit of blue touch up I rubbed the residue from the old decals with a damp cotton bud:

36314841151_d7fd449976_z.jpg

Rear one still drying. Happy with those.

Wings now Klear coated ready for weathering tomorrow.

• Like 15

Why didn't you mask the wings before you took white paint to the roundel position? Huh?

I'm a tad disappointed here Ced. 😱

White over spray, worse than a bit of touch in with a very fine rigger on the roundel's white bits would have been

Why?

:(

The painted roundels look good and will surely respond with a spot of paint 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Confuddled here Bill - Ced has touched the roundels up (fnaar?) hasn't he? They look proper to me now - are the 'white' bits left not light reflections in the camera?

Keith

Edit - ah, I see it now, you mean the overspray on the rest of the wings. Do I sense you want to get this one out of the way asap Ced....?! :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks Gents - 'tis true Keith that Bill has given me an opportunity to use the 'confused reaction' for the first time! I had masked the wing before white and the little bits showing must have been due to mis-placing mask... rats. All touched up now (fnarr!) and ready for weathering.

Oh, and sticking on the sticky-out-bits on the fuselage...

• Like 4

'A modeller of whom we're aware

Painted roundels on just for a dare,

Though his spray was excessive

His humour transgressive

Ensured a fnaar fnaar fnaar - so there!'

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

Oh well Ced, we live and learn as we grow older.

Over-spray can be a nightmare, especially if it is a small touch up FNAR.

I have used cling film or sandwich bags at times to cover large areas.

Still kudos to you for the hand made masks Ced.

BTW where did you get the cutter from ?

Simon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After all is said and done, they turned out way better than decals Ced!

I quit using using a white base for roundel painting because of those dreaded 'rings' that always seem to result. I've starting doing the opposite of the generally recommended order: I paint the darkest color first and end with white (blue then red then yellow then white), and things have gone much better.

Although, it looks like I did yellow last on this one, for the convenience of masking off the leading edge stripes at the same time.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1