Halifax B Mk. I/II/GRII - Revell 1/72

On 04/07/2017 at 20:55, CedB said:

The extra (non-painted) crew have had their base coat of Ratskin Flesh:

34879206614_5e710916e2_z.jpg

The crew look like a bunch of Scouse girls at a hen party - and yes, I can say that as a Scouser!

Ian

• Like 2

Mrs B says thanks guys for the Birthday wishes - very kind of you :D 

21 hours ago, perdu said:

It's OK

I don't think Nigel is watching that closely yet

4 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Nice looking interior and also good to see the fire extinguisher!

Thanks Bill and Nigel - pleased to have you watching :D 

3 hours ago, HomerJ_757 said:

The crew look like a bunch of Scouse girls at a hen party - and yes, I can say that as a Scouser!

Ian

Thanks Ian - is it that they're legless or because of the all over tans? Hmmm.

the crew have now been finished and are ready for seating:

35627663371_7b25613bec_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

TT asked if the moulded bomb aimer had a face:

35589870322_341bd54238_z.jpg

Uh, yes, if you squint.

This damned heat is slowing me down and my task today has been sorting out my 1:1 DIY tools. Load of junk but some good and treasured old tools.

In danger of actually doing something with them if I don't put them away again quickly!

• Like 11

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Ian - is it that they're legless or because of the all over tans? Hmmm.

Probably both!  A rapid transformation to aircrew improves their looks no end!

• Like 1

Hello. the crew looks good. Hope the legless ones fit into the turrets. A belated congrat from me  to your wife, although I don't know her. Will be off here soon as a storm is coming in from the Netherlands after a hot and sticky day. Cheers.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Thanks Ian, Benedikt and John :) 

Benedikt I hope you enjoyed the storm!

I'm a bit clumsy this morning but I did get some of the crew fitted. They are not happy. The pilot went in OK but the Nav needed a bit of encouragement to get his legs under the table. Then the Wireless Operator refused to scrunch himself up:

35642588521_402b9722b5_z.jpg

Oh, the joys of getting figures to fit. Removing the detail on the seat and cutting down the pillar helped:

34964493743_0f23fb1239_z.jpg

but he's still working in the dark, poor chap:

35774931975_2b5d677f23_z.jpg

As for the Flight Engineer...

34964570043_6ec5d5e85d_z.jpg

@Michael Enright sent me a nice PM discussing seating and the Halifax crew he'd interviewed seemed to remember just a fold down seat arrangement at the rear. Most of the time they thought the FE sat on a folding seat next to the pilot during take off. Who could blame them? I could do that... :hmmm: 

• Like 14

Thanks Giorgio - crowded indeed!

Thanks Johnny - poor chap indeed. I could save his pain by scratching a jump seat:

35403498640_849a52a3a1_z.jpg

so he can sit next to the pilot:

34981790283_a9aac8e92b_z.jpg

Better.

Windows next. Aha ha ha. I may be gone some time...

• Like 14

Ready to fit the 'glass', using the new pickup tool and Gator's Grip:

34983784663_6cc60273fb_z.jpg

These look as though they might 'come in' for something so they'll be saved:

35661998591_77ea96e07f_z.jpg

forgotten about and eventually thrown out :) 

Four windows in before the heat got to me:

34983955293_ecb7ce42ac_z.jpg

including #15 which doesn't appear in the instructions. Also took the opportunity to paint the bottom of the jump seat.

• Like 13

Thanks Giorgio - they'll look even better when the glue dries clear (I hope).

I thought it might be worth posting how I cope with the removal of the parts (fnaar) as they're fiddly. Gripped with spring-closed tweezers and sawn off with a nano-saw:

35663520291_c84d039161_z.jpg

Egg sucking lesson over.

All the windows are in now so I'll be leaving them to dry overnight - the last thing I want is for a window to pop out while I'm masking... hmmm, perhaps I should mask before close up.

Now there's an idea...

• Like 11

3 hours ago, CedB said:

These look as though they might 'come in' for something so they'll be saved:

forgotten about and eventually thrown out :) 

I am so glad it's not just me...!! :D

Good to see you making progress again Ced!

Keith

• Like 3

Wow, the crew really brings the whole thing to life Ced.

As for saving bits that might 'come in', I finally talked myself into binning some yesterday while cleaning up the bench. I already regret it, the process must be followed!

• Like 5

Looking like some cracking figure work and interior! Also nice work on the little windows I normally mess them up and they all drop out.

looking forward to the rest 

Rob

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I am so glad it's not just me...!! :D

Me too, though I think I have an allied affliction.  I too save things that'll 'come in', carefully put them aside.  I too lose them.  But instead of throwing them out, I find them later, usually less than an hour after I have finished scratch-building a replacement part taking several hours and much swearing.  Throwing them out would be better.  

Let's face it; it's all of us!

• Like 6

Ced,

Looking at all those wonderfully painted aircrew makes me wish I was installing some in my Mk2 srs1a but as it will be an on-hardstand job, I will save the effort for an in-flight version.

BTW that bomb aimer is a Matchbox Halifax piece, albeit from a Modelcraft re-issue.

Now if I could just drop the wing flaps....maybe I will experiment on the Modelcraft wings first.............

Enjoying your great thread and excellent photographs.

Michael

• Like 2

Looking good Ced. Regarding the spring loaded tweezers and tiny parts; when I try to do nice organised things like that, the tweezers slide slowly then snap shut just as the part releases from the sprue. 

The part is then propelled into orbit by the snapping of the tweezers. Am I doing something wrong. Did I get it wrong again Dad :confused: ?

The flight engineer looks a lot happier now.  He would have had a headache with turbulence in the other spot.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 5

A good looking crew indeed

I collect "useful " looking bits also, especially from the clear sprues.

Hope you're feeling cooler, we've gone from 36C to 22C in two days thanks to a couple of storms. I might be able to get some of my long overdue bramble strimming done now, but then that means less time to spend in the " man cave "

John

• Like 3

Thanks Keith, Cookie, Rob and Crisp :) The secret for me is to keep 'similar' parts in little plastic zip-loc bags, also saved from kits and other sources. That way, when you clear out the parts stash, you can throw them all away in one go. I did, after searching for months, eventually find some suitable 'organiser boxes' suitable for the parts stash:

35663258122_fc0825e23a_z.jpg

One day I may even get around to putting something in them :shrug: 

On 08/07/2017 at 16:15, bbudde said:

Oh, thanks for the photo. This ones looks very usuable for blue flashlights for my diecasts and they also should match in scale. Cheers

Thanks Benedikt, especially for the 'Irish Philosophy' :D If you'd like some of the sprue bits for lights PM me your address and I'll pop some in the post.

On 08/07/2017 at 20:42, Michael Enright said:

Ced,

Looking at all those wonderfully painted aircrew makes me wish I was installing some in my Mk2 srs1a but as it will be an on-hardstand job, I will save the effort for an in-flight version.

BTW that bomb aimer is a Matchbox Halifax piece, albeit from a Modelcraft re-issue.

Now if I could just drop the wing flaps....maybe I will experiment on the Modelcraft wings first.............

Enjoying your great thread and excellent photographs.

Michael

Thanks Michael - sounds like some proper modelling being planned there :) 

3 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Looking good Ced. Regarding the spring loaded tweezers and tiny parts; when I try to do nice organised things like that, the tweezers slide slowly then snap shut just as the part releases from the sprue. 

Thanks TT - my tweezers have grippy ends but I know what you mean. I spend far too much time searching for 'pinged parts'!

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

A good looking crew indeed

I collect "useful " looking bits also, especially from the clear sprues.

Hope you're feeling cooler, we've gone from 36C to 22C in two days thanks to a couple of storms. I might be able to get some of my long overdue bramble strimming done now, but then that means less time to spend in the " man cave "

John

Thanks John :) Still 'too hot' for me here. Anything over mid-20s and I start to sloooowww down. 

I have a fan problem. I have a collection of fans to keep me cool ( :coolio: ?? yeah man ) and this is one of the on holiday "you told me it would be cool, where's the fan shop?" collection. It's developed an annoying squeak. Not a 'well, that's the bearings gone' throw it away squeak, just an intermittant one. Squeak. You know the (squeak) sort of thing (squeak). Disassembly and application of liberal amounts of (squeak) WD40 helped for a while, but then (squeak) it came back. Annoying (squeak).

Masking. Hmmm. Some mojo required. Maybe later.

• Like 9

Fan?

Disassemble and mix WD40 with Vaseline

Apply with a cotton bud

Reassemble

Then wish you'd saved your own time

It won't squeak because you can only hear the rumbling bearings...

😂

Always happy to help

:)

• Like 6