Halifax B Mk. I/II/GRII - Revell 1/72

My next build is Revell's 2011 re-tool of the Halifax, reviewed by Paul with nice sprue shots here:

102297-10105-pristine.jpg

There's a big gap on the ceiling where an Airfix Stirling used to hang. This one:

34491686042_eb5dd5b47f_z.jpg

Wobbly, seams, embarrassing! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I built it a long time ago when I re-stated modelling and it's now the victim of some 'de-silvering' tests, which are not going well:

33811294284_9bdeb7f457_z.jpg

Rubbed too hard! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Hopefully the Halifax will take its place soon(Ish). Some research to do and a decision to make on the scheme, but it's probably going to be the OOB box art one.

• Like 15

Thanks Chris :) Epic? Oh dear... what am I letting myself in for?

There are only two options in the kit and I'd like to do an RAF B to 'keep to my theme' - if you have some suitable decals you don't want they'd be appreciated :D 

• Like 1

I'm in. I started my version of this kit back in January, I'm expecting Ced to go zooming past me by, say, June 8th.

Edited by Avereda
  • Like 1

Yep I''m in here. Generally a good kit, but......  I would definetly exchange the nacelles and radiators ,especially if it will be put under the the ceiling. It spoils the look of the plane (far too big/fat and the worst mistake of the kit). I would be annoyed by this and I was as I looked at the side box photos at the first time, I saw it. I thought that something was wrong. It somehow doesn't look the real one  or the old Matchbox I built once.  Revell's MkIII is much better for that issue. Fit should be good and trouble free but be careful with the confusing instructions ( Oh, but you fixed an Ikea one! lalala )The paint guides by Revell is beyond everything serious and just insane. "Irgendwas mit öppkes und dröppkes".Here a drop from this, there a drop or maybe two from that....!! Will you use the front turret? The other nose glazing is too thick  and I would  leave away that ugly Type c MK.II upper turret as it sits  far too high from what I read. Cheers

Ps: Yes, beer and a storm.  Maybe another one tonight. It's hot here and today sticky with 30°C.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 4

Not looking like the Matchbox is not in itself a criticism, as the Matchbox looks even less like the original.  The Revell fuselage is far better, needing only a few tweaks and a new tailwheel.  Unless you want the bomb-bay doors open, in which case you have a bit more of a problem because the aircraft carried bombs three-across, not two.  (Though this is fairly easy to fix, if you cut open the outer doors and fiddle about a bit.)   I entirely agree with your comment on the engines, but the wheels are also too small and the ailerons should have more chord on the underside.

I counted that the kit had 178 parts (not counting some duplicates) and only 93 of them were ok as they came.  Which doesn't mean you should throw away all the rest...we can argue until the cows come home just what proportion.

• Like 5

@Graham Boak . Hello Graham. I'm usually not a nit picker on every detail, but the general shape should be ok. I bought one because of the "state of art new tools", but never really considered to build this as it comes. For the Mk. III I would do  more or less. As Ced usually builds wheels up and everything else closed, he will have a few problems less, I guess. So I just try to give him some hints, when I can. Cheers

• Like 1

I agree that the Mk.III is much better.  I did get a set of Airfix engine units from their Lancaster Mk.II but it's a bit 50:50 as to which is the better option.  Whichever I don't use will go one of my old Airfix Halifaxes.  There are sets of wheels etc around to fix that aspect of the Revell kit.  What is sad about the Revell kit is the presence of odd hints scattered around that it was intended to be so much better - look inside the wings and see the positions of the inner wing bomb bays.  White Ensign did etched brass for the inner wing bays but they don't quite fit inside (probably could with a bit of a bodge).  Or see the groove down the inside of the bomb-bay, which does help you to spread them out as they should be when open.  Just one of a few little things anyone can do to the Revell kit to improve it - remove the (non-existent) flight engineer's seat; round off the edges of the asymmetry in front of the cockpit.  

• Like 3

I just ran over from Tomoshenko's Lancaster Build.

What with my blood pressure and needing new soles on my shoes, I'm going to have to stop all this sprinting from one thread to another. Anyone got a spare Ventolin inhaler :o?!

Poor Stirling :weep:!

One of my absolute favourite kits of all time, the Airfix Stirling. One of my favourite builds upon return to the hobby too. I bought the Italeri (tug version) last year and was disappointed by the 'trench lines'. To my old eyes; the Airfix surface, although still wrong, looks more like that shown in photographs of Stirlings.

Hang on.

This is a Halifax thread :dunce: !

Sorry Ced, it was deep trauma from that picture of the Stirling (my Paternal grandfather was the radio type person on a ''P' for Penelope' Stirling).

I'm glad you chose the Halifax. Such an iconic aircraft; a really essential series of vertebrae in the spine of Bomber Command.

I know you like OOB (so do I), but have to agree with the others on what an improvement the Freightdog set makes. I haven't made one myself, but have seen this kit built  'in the flesh' with the resin correction set, and it looked a lot better around the engines; finer, less bulky.

The Mk. III is on my shopping list. It's on offer at the Aviation Megastore, but their postage to here is, well, 'mega' and nullifies the discount

Unless I spend even more on a DC-4 (also on offer), which, if delivered this month, along with a 1/24 Airfix folly I've just bought, would definitely result in a divorce :D!!!

Think I'll remain in marital bliss and just enjoy watching your build for now Ced :)

Good luck and enjoy it, should be a great journey,

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 2

12 hours ago, perdu said:

OK Ced, early this time

Where do you hide the sarnies, I'm a tad peckish and I haven't had my brekky

(Have fun with that Giemme). :)

I give up, Bill. :D 

Now please allow me to take a seat and enjoy some :popcorn: and :beer: while watching "Ced and the Big Beast"

Oh, anybody's help in decripting perdu's saxon expression would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 4

Allow me

"Where do you hide the sarnies, I'm a tad peckish and I haven't had my brekky"

Translation from googlebrum®

"I say Ced old bean did you prepare some sandwiches for we visitors because I am extremely hungry and this morning I missed my breakfast?"

I hope this is of assistance my dear friend

I am about to begin with the beer too

;)

• Like 8

Woot! Looks like we're both starting Handley Page Bombers. :lol: and you're still on the first page when I tuned up. :yahoo:

should make for some fun holiday viewing.  Looking forward to this sir.

in your own time.:D :popcorn:

Johnny String Sandwich. 

• Like 1

Another fun one for the Cedster.

I agree with the others, get the Freightdog engines (just so Colin will make more stuff that I might use).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Allow me

"Where do you hide the sarnies, I'm a tad peckish and I haven't had my brekky"

Translation from googlebrum®

"I say Ced old bean did you prepare some sandwiches for we visitors because I am extremely hungry and this morning I missed my breakfast?"

I hope this is of assistance my dear friend

I am about to begin with the beer too

;)

You could have got some very odd looks from any Yanks on here if you'd called them butties instead of sarnies! I'm assuming only proper bacon or chips will be allowed.......

Ian 

• Like 2

Welcome everyone! :) 

Crikey chaps, what have I let myself in for? Freightdog do two sets, one for a B.II (improvement set one) and another for the B.II Series IA. How about the AML set that is slightly cheaper as it doesn't include the wheels (which I won't be using anyway)? then I can afford the Eduard internals etch.

Chris (amblypygid) is very kindly sending me some transfers for an RAF version.

OOB? A ha ha ha...

Hopefully work and family commitments will let me start tomorrow, fingers crossed... unless I order the etch of course!

• Like 7

Transfers......that reminds me of those sets you could get when I was a kid, with a fold out background scene and a sheet of rub down transfers of cowboys and Indians or whatever the subject was, to be added where ever your imagination said they should be!

Ian

• Like 3

Now this should be interesting. If no aftermarket we see what it looks like OOB. With aftermarket and we get a nice insight into resin bits. Either way we win as interested spectators. 😆

• Like 1