Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

Good luck Bill with the repaint. I am sorry but I  have no technical knowledge to offer of what paint you should use as I am just a simple enamels guy.

However I wonder would Klear go over it to act as a barrier coat ?

I am glad that you have saved it from the bin after all your great work. 

Keep at it fella. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

Oh bother! As others have said, keep at it

On 8/9/2018 at 3:09 PM, hendie said:

... but for me the best thing was to put the model on a tray and then squirt the oven cleaner all over. 

I do like the idea of putting it into a bag. A very useful tip there!

I was also going to suggest putting the model onto an oven tray, since there could be brownie-points to be earned with SWMBO by "cleaning a bit of the oven" during this process.

• Haha 2

Good news Bill!

You know I'm a Stynylrez fan so that would be my next move after a rub over with IPA and some Micro-meshing...

That said I am in the presence of a master and defer to your greater knowledge and experience - I would probably have binned her long ago! :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CedB said:

Good news Bill!

You know I'm a Stynylrez fan so that would be my next move after a rub over with IPA and some Micro-meshing...

That said I am in the presence of a master and defer to your greater knowledge and experience - I would probably have binned her long ago! :) 

I think not young paddywan, you would have just got on with it

And finished it within three weeks I think

I'm about to pop in and wash it now, I think I'll wash it off after with Tamiya thinners in the absence of IPA

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, perdu said:

How do you use Stylnrez? Do you thin it to spray or is it oven-ready from the pot?

Its ready to go from the pot. It does produce a lovely finish but is difficult to mask over. I have been advised that cleaning the model with white spirit and not alcohol helps on that front.

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

Catching up[ after a while away here Bill. Glad you are persevering with this one. Too much Buccaneer under the bridge to give up! Can't add much to the various advice given, but Mr Muscle has been good for me in the past. I also cleaned the oven with it once!

Terry

• Like 1

It feels as if I have been here before

P1010435.jpg

Lots of rectification work underway now, the airbrake structure frame was eaten by brake fluid

Well not eaten but it ate the glues I had the pieces located with

Some got inside the cockpit, work to be done there too but on the whole this feels as if it would have been worse if I wasnt so lucky

:)

Z

• Like 11

Sunday morning dawns and finds me intrigued and a trifle concerned Tony

I hope you haven't done anything daft...

And kinda hope you have

😀

On to Bucc One again, I've dusted most of the residual klommit off the airframe although there's bound to be more when I settle down this arvo and I'm going to declutter away all residual panel lines so I can mark out new ones

After seeing Colin's good practice example I think I will be cutting out a fresh, tidy panel line template too, after all what could go wrong on a multi composition surface with a decent engraving gubbins?

Laters fellows, laters.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scimitar said:

Just a nice photo (can't remember if it was shown before but worth repeating anyway)

A very nice photo indeed, not seen that before. If I am not mistaken, isn't that what used to be called a proper navy I see before me?

Terry

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

not seen that before. If I am not mistaken, isn't that what used to be called a proper navy I see before me?

Found it on-line.

Lead ship is HMS Eagle then HMAS Melbourne,HMS Bulwark and HMS Victorious.

• Like 1

I can categorically state here and now (Oh get on with it, idiot!)

Brake fluid and Perfect Plastic Putty are not happy bedmates

P1010444.jpg

It doesnt seem to have hurt the Milliput thank the deities

P1010445.jpg

As ye see there are lots of 'redo from start' areas to get on with, a seepage even took the paint off the resin jetpipe tubes

Oh well that will be an easy fix, mix up some Vallejo metallics and flesh and brown then silver the rings again  :(

Lots of wheel bay work needing attention

P1010446.jpg

And many more panel lines needing removing and rescribing

P1010447.jpg

The journey begins

Refilling with superglue has begun, Milliput to mix up tomorrow after the next assessment

👋

• Like 8

I wish I had chosen all-over grey now :( and I don't think they could make the road that empty these days even with firearms

I sincerely hope that is both crew in the sky outside that other one and that they were OK

49 minutes ago, perdu said:

that they were OK

Yes both survived.

Pilot was Andrew Gleadow and Observer was Peter King. Sorry don't know their ranks at time.

20/11/1965  XN958/111E  Buccaneer S1  800 NAS Bolted following a high approach to HMS Eagle while operating off Singapore. On leaving the deck it yawed to port and lost height. Both crew ejected at 20ft and were rescued. The yaw was possibly induced by a binding brake when the aircraft touched the deck.

More reading on incident from the pilot here: (scroll down to post 22)

https://ops-normal.org/viewtopic.php?t=2989&start=20

• Like 3