Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

I never did get to wander into Hobbycraft, probably a 'good thing' a'cos they can be maddening sometimes in there

I did mention, did I not the detailing in the Number one machines wingfold pieces?

Here is as far as I intend pushing these particular boundaries

P1010424.jpg

Some slight additions as the folds go together will do for me

T'other side

P1010425.jpg

There is still much to do in losing the bad paint coats on both machines

P1010426.jpg

And  the recce pack

P1010428.jpg

This one shows how much the pen nib fairing has had to be reduced for the Gyron Junior tailpipes, I reckon
Thanks for Crisp for pointing that out at the outset, might have been a bit of a sod getting rid of that later

The Pitot

You might think the pitot is a little over agressive, more like a length of telegraph pole hanging off the leading edge

Fear not, this piece of Aeroclub tube has the sole purpose of preventing the skinny little precision turning work of art from Master Models becoming banana shaped, only held on with a splodge of Maskol

Oh well

On with the heavy duty sanding task...

:(

• Like 10

Spufford's Backroom Boys surmounted by a Buccaneer rampant.

All you need now is a Latin motto and House Perdu has its new crest!

Most admiring of that recce pack Bill, despite my ignorance of the item concerned. I'm pretty sure you'll have seen this but blundered across this photo recently purportedly taken on approach by a Bucc's photo crate:

63820.jpg

A dashed rousing view I have to say!

Nice to see Buccaneering underway again.

A lot, that wing-fold I am liking. :thumbsup:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Excellent stuff, the wing fold and recce pack are most impressive! :worthy:

And very smart idea for the pitot protection, I'm gonna shamlessly copy it 👍

Ciao

• Like 1

just catching up on this. Been busy the last few days and haven't had much time at all.   Wing fold looks good so far and with a few precision additions should look spiffing.

I did actually make a few posts the other day but for some inexplicable reason they all seem to have disappeared.  Maybe the inexplicable reason was another forum upgrade.

Edited by hendie
  • Confused 1

I have had disappearing posts too in the past, though I did wonder if it was because I made a reference to a modeller who no longer lives in our bubble?

I am not about to open that can again, she could return if she wished but it seems she's awa'

I'm glad the folds have achieved the heights of interesting you guys, they were an interesting puzzle

I am looking forwards to getting the Grey on the top and finishing the fold with the hinge ram which will be made to 'make' the angle

• Like 3

I just made one of those lucky finds, popped into Bill the Navy Bird's Buccy build and realised I needed to whip off the wide band doohickeys for my Grey and White Bucc

So they're off!

Bill showed one picture of an S1 with black tipped antennae on so I feel free to leave them on the all White Frog one

Phew

Also had great pleasure reliving that fabled build with him

Since that was in 2016 many of the comments were from people we've lost, silly buggers

😕

Oh well, I'm off to reprime the outer wing panels before having another bash at the top colour coat

(Thinks.. Must check which white Bill used...)

• Like 4

Do you  remember the cold, metallic taste of utter and complete failure to proceed?

I have a mouthful of it here, not a suitable bloke for kissing today :(

P1010429.jpg

I take a step forward and then scr** it up

Like so

Looks like I will never be finishing a white undersided Buccaneer any time soon

THE PLEA GOES OUT!

Can anyone advise the best way to get all this assorted crud off the model or do I have to dump it in shame?

P1010434.jpg

Excuse blur, it hurts me less when it is blurry

Sorry but I think this is the end of the street for this and I think I'm off to the end of said street for a pint

:(

• Sad 8

28 minutes ago, perdu said:

Sorry but I think this is the end of the street for this and I think I'm off to the end of said street for a pint

You can't quit now; you've come 78 pages so far! As for the kissing part, methinks my wife might object.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Can anyone advise the best way to get all this assorted crud off the model or do I have to dump it in shame?

Bill. I've always used oven cleaner straight from the can and found that it removes pretty much all  of the paint without damaging the plastic at all.  I had to do it on my DB5 build at least once, and on several other little oopsies.

You can either put the model in a poly bag and squirt the oven cleaner in, but for me the best thing was to put the model on a tray and then squirt the oven cleaner all over.  Any stubborn paint, I just re-squirt and after a few minutes to let the cleaner start working I'll attack the model with a toothbrush (not mine of course!).

Keep at it Bill - you've come too far to let this one go.

• Like 4

Ditto to the seconding of the first protest Bill.

Mustn't let this go. No way.

Goddamit I'll even do some vinyl masks for you if you want me to stoop to bribery.

A pint and a night's sleep'll put a fresh spin on things in the morning, you see.

• Like 2

Yes please, keep it going - I know the clean up is a huge chore, but binning this seems just too much of a shame, after all the work you've put in it 🛬

Ciao

• Thanks 1

I'll add my ha'p 'orth too - far too good to let a little paint spoil it. Get it off and start again!

If you ask nicely, Hendie's Mrs might even let you use her toothbrush!

Ian

• Haha 4

Hi Bill,

shame to see what that paint did...

several friends of mine use to remove paint using chante clair degreaser...is it avaliable in the UK?

once removed you can proceed with a different type of paint.

No need to get frustrated and to abandon a project like this!!!

Look at your Gannet and just keep going!!!

I may even be able to rejoin the party in a week time!!!

Ciao

Massimo

• Thanks 1

Hi Bill 

I am sorry to hear about the paint.  I don't know how it affects the glue  but, I used Dettol on my Mossie canopy after a bit of a setback, I decalled the inside frames as Tamiya intended and used Klear  but when I saw some silvering I used a small amount of thinned gloss varnish and the canopy went milky white colour.  I only soaked it for around 10 mins  and the paint on the outside and decals just fell off.  Also if I ever cut myself on the canopy I would not get an infection  !!!

Not sure if this will help.  You have done amazing work so far on these kits so please don't give up now.

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo,

Take a few breaths Bill, then perhaps a few pints but don't give up. you've come too far. The paint can be removed and you will win...when have you not done?

We're with you

Minor update

And a request for further, specific advice OK?

Oven cleaner did not touch the paint at all, simply scummed up over it but I have to admit that was not Mr Muscle

Our road has been isolated by a resurfacing crew and rather than tackle uneven joints and freshly planed tarmac I used what I have instead of travelling afar in search of 'the man' 

Lesson learnt I plonked the fuselage in an old tin roasting tray, no more roasties coming out of that one, she said

Then poured liberal amounts of DOT4 in with it and stirred with a large oil painting bristle brush

Returned after an hour and wiped lots of the paint away, ditto again last night and twenty minutes ago

Success looms if the modified fuselage bits stay together, I all wash off the DOT4 with running water later after scrubbing off a couple of thick runs that decided they like it here

So back to square fifty three

My request for advice runs "Which method of priming do we now advocate? Shall I try hitherto untested Stylnrez? Or Alclad's White hi-build primer? Or if I'm going to use a high build approach should I go and buy some Halfords hi build as used to massive success by Navy Bill and Tom Probert? I suppose if I use the Halfords approach it might be possible to find a white with a softened 'look' from one of the car paints range to use as anti flash..."

Actually belay that, aerosols have failed here already so I will not be aerosol-ing the white

As always your help has already lifted this one out of the bin and I really, thank you all

• Like 6