Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

On 4/12/2018 at 10:46 PM, perdu said:

The vortex generator

I always heard it  was a mod for the S2, possibly to allow better access for the outer Martel locations

That's my understanding as well Bill.

13 hours ago, perdu said:

Thank you Yoda, guys

I thought how hard would it be to just...

P1010269.jpg

I've changed my mind, I now want to order 102 units!

Superb micro work!

• Like 1

I've to get back to the hospital tomorrow for tests and stuff

I might pop a couple of these out of the rubber block, we'll see how I feel after the trip

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 21:43, perdu said:

Lots to do but this looks promising

I does indeed, in fact I think you have the build licked.

The Palouste is real gem.

Martian

Thanks Ced, seems OK but he has referred me for electrical measurements at the Queen Eliz, our brand new medical centre of brilliance

We think I'm OK now though

As I seem to be concentrating the Palouste here I've a quick progress report on the new moulds to cast from

20180416_151700.jpg

first resin into the tail-cover section and a fresh dose into the recce pack mould, that's the long little one in the foreground

This is the complete unit Palouste mould having another go

20180416_151716.jpg

slightly blurry I accede, but...

Here it is giving up of its bounty

20180416_151836.jpg

crude as heck but I am not planning competing with Pavla any time soon

I am sorry these pictures are blurred but I am using my phone to take them and I find it can lose its way under that 'push the white button ON the screen' thing  :(

Well its out now, not bad methinks

20180416_151846.jpg

A little flash to swipe away, sorted

Tail cone anyone?

20180416_152000.jpg

The greyish bit is the thickness of Tamiya tape and is designed to cut away once you get the cone on the bench

If you try to mould an open hole you get a trapped lump of rubber that distorts the casting process

Earlier on in the Buccaneer saga I scrounged some wheels for the Bucc which were shaped like the real things but needed a little alteration round the rims, I was lent/loaned/lended (Brummy patois) Bucc wheels, Gannet wheels and Sea Vixen ones which with a small amount of attention could be pressed into service

The reddish mould contains the details for these wheels and when I get a drop or two to spare I pop out another few wheels, probably got enough by now

Loan items will be returned home soon lads :yes:

20180416_152057.jpg

Here is the tail cone leaving its nest

20180416_151933.jpg

Over flow is sorta the way it is in my cheapskate world, I don't have careful measuring jigs, jugs and contraptions in my garage

Anyway up, here is this afternoon's offerings on the bench, so to speak

20180416_153555.jpg

As you can see my main body mould failed due to trying too hard, I was trying to put some resin into the three little holes I left after doing the little wheels

Result?

Double failure, The little wheel things were too badly planned to get cast this way and because I tried to use the mix whilst casting the fore-body I short filled the main Palouste body  Lesson learnt and whilst I type a new fore end is curing 'down there' in the garage

Good things to come out of this? The jetpipe bend was perfectly executed and I had been worrying whether the slim recess would let the resin out

Looks OK to me

So the outcome, I cannot cast the skinny little wheel and flange arrangements using this kind of mould, James might have to make 204 sets, and the nose leg/wheel contraptions too. Still only 102 of them James

Oh well back to the garage wish me...

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Glad to hear you're on the mend, Bill :thumbsup:

I'm totally enjoying your resin perusals :clap: - kinda anticipating what is waiting foe me, when I tackle the engines in my A-10 build ... :frantic:

Ciao

• Haha 1

Hmm yes, Im kinda anticipating learning from that myself  :)

In other more Buccaneer based news both wings are on and the humungeous gaps have been Massimoed with stuporgoo and filed flat

Thin as possible join lines will be re-added later as will other rubbed off/out raised Frog panel lines

Nextly, add two skinny triangular VGs into the gaps, plastic to suit the kit's own ones

Its not all Air Power Blowing stuff round here tha knows

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Glad you're feeling better Bill and good work on those castings :)

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I am sorry these pictures are blurred but I am using my phone to take them and I find it can lose its way under that 'push the white button ON the screen' thing  :(

On my iPhone I can push the side buttons, which are on top when taking landscape pictures. Does that work on your phone too?

21 minutes ago, CedB said:

Glad you're feeling better Bill and good work on those castings :)

On my iPhone I can push the side buttons, which are on top when taking landscape pictures. Does that work on your phone too?

I dont know Ced

Complicated enough to make it take pictures from the back instead of my ugly mug  :)

I'll give it a try tomorrow, it's a Samsung

• Like 1

I have a Samsung.

At the top left is the little camera symbol to change from pics of yourself to pics of what's in front of you. Tap the screen to get it to focus on the bit you want. Sometimes it's a little awkward if the subject is small, it'll try to focus on the background. You can stick your finger in the pic to get the focus right, then remove it.

The greater the distance between the subject and the background, the easier it will be to focus on it.

Hope that helps!

Ian

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, perdu said:

As I seem to be concentrating the Palouste here I've a quick progress report on the new moulds to cast from

20180416_151700.jpg

Interesting, I've driven past Porton Down many times, but never had the opportunity to see inside like this ..............:idea:

Brilliant work there Bill!

Terry

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I have a Samsung.

At the top left is the little camera symbol to change from pics of yourself to pics of what's in front of you. Tap the screen to get it to focus on the bit you want. Sometimes it's a little awkward if the subject is small, it'll try to focus on the background. You can stick your finger in the pic to get the focus right, then remove it.

The greater the distance between the subject and the background, the easier it will be to focus on it.

Hope that helps!

Ian

I've done a test, the button on the left operates the shutter too

Makes it easier to hold still and fire up the shot

Thanks to you and Ced for pointing me in the right direction, which in no way bodes well for my future photography

I didn't pick up the genetics from dad who was a good photographer

Anyway thanks all

• Like 2

Glad your feeling better Bill

Your casting is second to none, may I ask where you get your resin and silicone from please.

Thanks

Roger

Thanks Roger, I get the supplies from eBay and I've used two different suppliers

When I get back into the garage later today I'll check out the invoices and post it here for you

I'm very pleased with this very white resin but I think I prefer the redder latex over this purple stuff

I'll keep you posted if you want to give them a go

b

• Thanks 1

OK invoice and product placement warning

:)

At the request of my friend Roger

20180417_123223.jpg

I bought this through eBay, I find most stuff I obtain postally there lately

They suggest direct communication may save some money, I've not tried it that way because the 'bay' does offer security to me as purchaser which I have appreciated recently when a book I ordered went astray

this is what they say

20180417_123230.jpg

This is the white resin I am using these days, but I was happy enough with the older style yellowy ochre resin too

This stuff

20180417_124247.jpg

Works well, both types can generally be demoulded after twenty or so minutes but I usually give it forty five minutes

This is the white setting resin from the folks at WWW.Mouldcraft

20180417_123313.jpg

Asfor moulding rubber, this is the purple stuff in the wild

Its like a clean white creamy consistency in the tub and when you add the purple catalyst it mixes in to light lilacey/purple

20180417_123135.jpg

Mishandling with the paperwork means I cannot remember the prices

Bear in mind this is ME, prices are not high

The reddish rubber you saw earlier was supplied by Pottery Supplies on the 'bay and is labelled Scarva

I find it  a bit easier to use when weighing in by proportion because its catalyst to latex ratio is based on 10%, whereas the DWR plastics resin uses the awkward 0.03% to latex ratio

Anyway, diligent eBay searches should bring these in view for you all

Happy hunting

• Like 3

7 hours ago, perdu said:

I didn't pick up the genetics from dad

That's two of us then. My dad was an engineer and that gene skipped a generation.

I also failed the chemistry 'O' level so all of this moulding alchemy and voodoo is quite educating.

Somewhere along the way I learned a bit about Buccaneers too :wicked:

• Haha 1