Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

Apologies Bill, a misleading sentence from me earlier, that is a SAAF Bucc to illustrate the rear end detail.  The area behind the bomb bay is unique to the later SAAF machine, which I believe is a modified doppler panel.  I'm desperately looking for more relevant underside shots!

The RAF aircraft looked the same externally to the Navy Buccs in the doppler area.

The holdback cover, you either need to choose to have or not, or find pictures of the relevant area for the one that you're building.

1533157-large.jpg

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

I am going to watch the film tomorrow Scimitar thanks, time's a bit limited this evening

I think Im about 'there' with the holdback bay now thank James

Black deep inside to indicate 'deep dark hole'

Holdback retracted-no break-offable tag on the end but visible triangle frame under...

...small cover over some of the visible piece of the triangular holdback frame

And the doppler panel might be blackishish  :)

These shots remind me I have to remake the camera port under the nose, it didn't withstand the onslaught of the sihrsc when the nose was resculpted

• Like 2

Hello Bill, nice to see the Bucc back on the bench.

A couple of answers to your ponderings, with the caveat that this was from the RAF S2A's and B's.

The dielectric panel rear of the bomb bay was a fibreglass cover for the ARI5880 Blue Jacket antenna. This was part of the doppler air navigation system.

(Most people laugh at the thought of a nav system in the Bucc, thinking it involved the pilot putting a thumbprint on the windscreen and keep flying towards it).

Matchbox seem to have over done it a bit on the panel size. It was smaller for the fibreglass and had a solid panel either side. Airfix got it better on their 1/48 beast.

IMG_3637.jpg

As for the tail "bumper", that seemed to match the undercarriage position. I cant remember a separate switch for it, think it was linked to the u/c.

So wheels down, bumper down.

Keep up the stunning work Bill.

Rob.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rob, wheels and bumper down seems to match most of the photos I have too, so I think I'll have to separate a space to hang one out of

Useful pic of the fibreglass panel on your fabulous Bucc, ta

It matches up with a diagram I got for S1 decals so it is double confirmation, great stuff

Thumbprint?

I always thought it was "keep left of the refuelling probe and straight on til morning"

Ladders

I keep thinking ladders

Must S T O P ...

😁

• Like 3

12 hours ago, perdu said:

Black deep inside to indicate 'deep dark hole'

Holdback retracted-no break-offable tag on the end but visible triangle frame under...

The tag, or tail bit stays attached.  It fits into a reciever coupling on the carrier, which is held over the tag by pre stressed steel rings which are rated and matched to the aircraft on the cat, they break when the correct strain is reached, letting the aircraft go with the cat bridle.

So on the aircraft, it is a triangle frame with a little waggy tail (can wag side to side a bit) on it. 

As built, the cover covers the triangular part, but the tail bit remains uncovered, in that slot that you can see between the triangle bit and leading in to the airbrake area.   I have got drawings of all this, but darned if I can find them at the mo!

36940995145_6e11d6da05_c.jpgBuccaneer S.1 XN957 hold back & deck hook area by James Thomas, on Flickr

...oh, and tail bumper 

36940993995_80f16faf1c_c.jpgBuccaneer S.1 XN957 rear underside by James Thomas, on Flickr

Superb Bucc there @Phone Phixer, looks like someone has inverted a real one! 

Kind of reminds me,

When I was a kid there were various wonders of the world that I would regularly mull over in my mind,

How did they build the Pyramids

How did they move the stones to Stonehenge

How did the main gears fit within the relatively small holes, and how did they rotate a bomb bay which was bulged on the outside on the Buccaneer...

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

This build continues to be educational or rather re-educational as I have no excuse for forgetting how that hold back worked!

I was up in the workshop last night,just pottering about and the Revell re-issue of the Matchbox Buccaneer was staring  at me.

So far I have managed to resist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It has become time to get tough

Let''s have a chunk of this

P1010043.jpg

And do this

P1010045.jpg

Yes it's time to have a try at the fold gear

A cavity carved out in the Matchbox upper and lower halves with the attachment  points removed (a while ago, it's true) a piece of 0.080" polycard was cut to suit as part of what 's to become a sandwich of plastic, there's a cunning plan afoot.

P1010046.jpg

Angles were cut out

The sandwich of 0.080" and 0.020" was then filed to a basic shape to fit in the 'ole

It is smaller than the hole a'purpose

P1010051.jpg

You know how the shape was achieved, sihrsc coming into her own here

Then a filler plate was made for each wing root from 0.020"

P1010053.jpg

Now I have a plug for each wing outer section root and can begin to do a mini-Massimo and make the fold hinges and pipery

Plan A will be to attempt to mould the fold, there's a chap oop north waiting patiently to see if we can do it ;) ( I haven't forgotten chum, see.)

I decided that the inner wing root wasn't really suitable for casting from because of some deep blinded cavities but they were easy enough to mock up at that end

I reckon however that if I make the hinges deep enough into the wing plug we'll have just what the doctor ordered

We'll see

The idea will be for the other chap to cut the wing outers before the wing gets put together and insert the resin plug

Should work I think

• Like 9

I did a bit on the hinges tonight but most of my time was spent organising where the hinge line needs to be for the front hinges which run with the main spar

There are secondary hinges toward the rear spar area but the beefy ones at the front seem to be the ones taking the load

There's to be a latching wedge in there too but first it needs to set in place for carving

This is being done under the 'no stinky stuff' rule too so glues get used under very strict timetables

first part on the blanking units

P1010056.jpg

Checking against the hinge cut outs on the upper wings

P1010057.jpg

I will be building up the inserts then making the other detail bits that will be cast onto the inserts before I mould from them

I am  a bit scared by this bit, but its only an old plastic kit, what can go wrong huh  :)

"That's all folks"

Edited by perdu
  • Like 7

This was the sight that awaited me at Hendon a while back

P1120534.jpg

This shows the locking wedge beneath the hinge

And on to the rear portion of the fold unit

P1120536.jpg

This is the rear hinge, an altogether less beefy device than the front one and good views of the boundary layer bleed ducting

Edited by perdu
  • Like 5

On 1/9/2018 at 3:03 PM, perdu said:

This shows the locking wedge beneath the hinge

And on to the rear portion of the fold unit

It is mightily impressive, isn't it?

I pondered about the size of the bolt/pin that passes through the wedge and seems to be exposed on the wing underside. Possibly something that the final-checkers look at prior to the catapult being fired?

• Like 2

I would agree with Hairystick, the locking pin is visible is from the underside, when engaged seems to be level with undersurface of the wing and I would guess it gives a deck hand indication of wings spread and locked.

39609727831_315a0c5e75_c.jpgBuccaneer S.1 XN957 stb'd wing fold hinge & lock by James Thomas, on Flickr

39580368522_e130a992ec_c.jpgBuccaneer S.1 XN957 stb'd wing fold hinge & lock by James Thomas, on Flickr

The main hinge and locking tongues and pin are a mechanical wonder, the main wing fold linkage at the end of the operating jack is to the left of the pictures.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just to make your job a bit easier Bill...

38713717505_9970972400_c.jpgBuccaneer S.1 XN957 stb'd wingfold by James Thomas, on Flickr

38299425674_ca71a450e3_c.jpgBuccaneer S.1 XN957 stbd wing fold by James Thomas, on Flickr

27238125559_fb4ac3a6cd_c.jpgBuccaneer S.1 XN957 stbd wing fold by James Thomas, on Flickr

38299428404_6379e03266_c.jpgBuccaneer S.1 XN957 stbd wing fold by James Thomas, on Flickr

38299430024_8d5e839420_c.jpgBuccaneer S.1 XN957 stbd wing fold by James Thomas, on Flickr

They built 'em tough in Brough!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

...well...I don't know how, but I had missed this update!!!

Welcome to the folding wings' club!!!:rofl:

Looking really promising!!!

I'll be watching, as sooner or later my turn will come!!!

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have had a first bash at the port wing fold tonight

Here the second hinge and the retraction pivot added to the basic wing plug

P1010061.jpg

And the holes for the blown air ducts, them retraction point is not yet trimmed, getting these lengths and locations right has been  a bear but I think I am close now

P1010059.jpg

the hole between the two hinges is for the cable runs into the wing, any idea how I'm going to show runs of cable tied wiring in 72th

Me neither  :)

P1010058.jpg

I couldnt get this close without a play could I?

P1010063.jpg

Of course the plug wants to pull out but it's not getting to see glue 'til its seen latex first, a promise is a promise Bri

This has to be cast-able from

I think the retract thingy might need a sideways tweak but I'm quite pleased with the story so far

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, perdu said:

follow the Seven Pees

? Been a while since last English lesson, Bill... :shrug:

:D

Nice wingfolderie stuff,BTW

Edited by giemme
  • Haha 2

Ah

Favourite saying of our Training  Major, back in the day Giorgio

Prior preparation and planning prevent 'pathetically' poor performance

Pathetically is not the word we used

Does this help?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Veeeeeeeery nice work on those wing folds!!!:yes::clap2:

We're waching buccaneering at its best!!!:smartass:

This topic will be my Bibe for mine, which will be an S2.

Are there any differences between the two versions in the wing fold?:huh:

• Like 1