Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Anyway this meant I needed to get a proper coat of paint down and was a 'trigger' to making me risk using my Ultra on the job

Good! And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Anyroad nice looking paint job Bill, but don't be tempted to load up some British Racing Green and respray the MG...

Pity about the masking but you will sort it out.

• Haha 2

Not going to be a quick job Tom

P1140264.jpg

But when I've smoothed out the little paint ridges I can make a fresh start tomorrow

I must confess, the sight of both colours on it are reassuring

I was the right decision, swapping the two over and getting grey onto this

Smart scheme

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

It gave me a proper scare Keith, as it came with just a single paint cup fixed into the handle I thought this one might not have the replaceable cup facility of  the other version, it seemed fixed in place

But when I was cleaning it the cup popped out into my hand, I thought OOOPS...

Still when I examined the recess I knew it would be ok as it was shiny chrome (Nickel? Nickelsilver?) down inside the hole

A sure sign that it is a finished 'finish' all over so can be dismantled (and mantled back up again later)

I will be sending off for the larger needle size too soon but in fact the Ultra handled the Xtracrylics beautifully

I am not such a scaredy cat now

:nod:

• Like 7

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Not going to be a quick job Tom

P1140264.jpg

Drats! That's some paint leaks you have there!

A respray is annoying, but it's the right thing to do. You'll get it sorted for good 👍

Ciao

• Like 1

Nice result.

I've contemplated buying a "proper" airbrush, but I've found that with a little work I can get my cheapo Chinese ones to give good results.

Still, even more contemplation now..... 🤔

BTW, what size needle is yours fitted with?

Edited by Bigdave22014
Added question

You'd like it Bigdave

Shiny

And it is the basic 0.02 size, I was a bit worried about putting large amounts of pigment through it at first

Consider me convinced!

I am thinking about getting the larger size but to be fair the Xtracrylics behaved beautifully and I was never this 'first pass' happy with any of my Chinese's

I do recommend the Ultra to anyone

( and for the Attention Deficit Ooh Shiny amongst us it looks as gorgeous as a gorgeous thing you'd love to own)

Commercial over™

Go on go...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I STILL like it and I just put some more Xtracrylics (this is a larf) RAF Extra Dark Sea Grey through it

I have a jar of Mr Color Gloss White which I intend testing on the white areas so in the mean time I painted some more EDSG on overlapping areas

Hopefully this will do the repaint job on the white areas

Also this morning I masked the Sea Vixen outer wing panels and floated a wisp of ESDG on them too which may leave me a little less to do later, who knows I may even get the outers decorated with the stickers for the bird...

So I washed out the Ultra again with water and risked using a dripping of Tamiya X20 thinners washed out again with water

I wonder if anyone can help me with this?

P1140266.jpg

It is a small rubber-alike cap which is called a "Reinigungskappe, gelb" in the Hansa branded package or as delightfully translated on the package "plastic cap for cleaning or color mixing by bubble, yellow"

I can work out that it's intention is to make me blow bubbles but should I infer that by leaving the end cap and needle on I can actually mix new colours in by back bubbling the paint?

In a very tiny paint cup?

Will it work if I take the end cap off and just use it to back pressure paint and or cleaners through the cup and nozzle?

I is confuse...

And oh yes, doesn't look as if I'm going to get more than two models done this year, just found a dust damage on the starb'd wing off the Vixen

Time's winged chariot is upon me

Tomo, finished that blimmin Lanc yet?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

"Back washing" is a common method for mixing and cleaning. Usually you just put your finger over the endcap to create a seal. 

The bubbling will help mix the paints in the pot, or if cleaning it will help flush the nozzle. 

I would imagine your Reinigungskappe is meant to just fit over the end without having to remove anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I can work out that it's intention is to make me blow bubbles but should I infer that by leaving the end cap and needle on I can actually mix new colours in by back bubbling the paint?

Perhaps it wants you to do this Bill but in deep see grey...

largebubble1.jpg

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Tomo, finished that blimmin Lanc yet?

I have been working on it (update coming soon), but my heating bust so I've had to have a new boiler and rads fitted. Consequently chez Tomoshenko's has been like a building site. However, all done now and mancave is toasty warm - just in time for long winter nights - plenty of modelling afoot.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

You need that cap with the Ultra (& other H&S) brushes to backwash because of the cut outs in the nozzle. As Bigdave said, with other (lesser! :whistle:) brushes like Iwata's you can just stick your finger over the 'ole in the front of the nozzle. Never tried colour mixing by that method, interesting idea. Just make sure your air pressure isn't too high or you could end up wearing your mixed paint...!!

K

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I just partially unscrew the nozzle (all of it, not only the protecting crown) to mix paint directly in the cup. I use the  actual backwash only when cleaning. My :2c:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Thanks 1

Bought one of the backwash things from Paul at a show - he recommended it for cleaning (penultimate stage) to make sure there's no paint on the back seal.

HTH :) 

• Thanks 1

And it shall be so used, thanks Ced

I am getting more into this airbrushy stuff now I have one that simply      works.

After not using one much for years it has come to me as a remembered revelation, smooth shiny paint surfaces shows up the blemishes far better than matt ones

Now I trust the brush it doesn't faze me to run dribbles (yes OK splurges) of PPP into the freshly revealed ripples ready for a resmoothing job this afternoon

So this morning on rising I have popped a few of said dribbles to await the wet wet,n,dry

After the Paasche F1 birthday present that set me on course to airbrushing forty years ago this one has already turned into 'the best present for forty years'

I have found enough pictures to convince me that my choice of 'paint-line' for the tail section is accurate and because I hated the ungainly look of the scheme wrongly demanded by the decal sheet I intend using the 'parallel along the tail with a curve down to the 'pen nib' scheme

Now I have to find stores carriers for both Buccs, fat at top and bottom, short types which means carvery of poly card and possibly casting bench stuff

Yippee. 😱

• Like 7

P1140267.jpg

Hopes

I had 'em

I was hoping that somewhere in that lot would be a/some/the sacrificial parts to turn into this

P1140268.jpg

The drawing in the centre is the best/only source for the 'small' stores carrier for the S1s that I have but alas no

Nothing quite like the size I need to cut down so it appears I must cut plasticard again

I think I need them for both S1s so I will try casting them

(it is the one up there with a tank affixed, oddly the one next to it with a tank affixed is too small)  :(

This collection of bits came to me mostly as a result of a mate flogging off stores he'd never used at the club back in the seventies

Not many of these were mine because I generally kept my spares in a separate box  that I chucked in the bin when I gave up model making (go figure)

But I can still  remember which kits some of them came off

Oh well now for plasticard...

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, perdu said:

But I can still  remember which kits some of them came off

That's a good game isn't it?

I see Airfix Fiat G-91 and Vulcan in there. F-100 too?

13 hours ago, perdu said:

the 'small' stores carrier

I'm confused her. Are you talking about the pylon or the small practice bomb carrier seen a lot on the S1?

On 16/10/2018 at 07:44, Courageous said:

You're a modeller, go model. :whip:

Stuart

I am trying but, with respect to these stalwarts who have been necessarily defaced and with acknowledgment to the owner of the copyright (unknown) I offer this view of the problem I am faced with

rings-round-it.jpg

I need to produce eight of these rather shapely, complex forms

The outline shape is simple enough but before I just knock out one and cast it I could do with a leetle assistance (maybe even a leetle assistant)   :(

Are the wing facing parts of those swellings handed for port or starboard?

I get the difficult to shake off feeling that each aircraft gets four very different pylons, which may stop me bunging anything underneath 'em

HELP!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1