Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

that looks like a lovely bit of scratching there Bill.   I can see that developing into a very nice wing fold mechanism.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

any idea how I'm going to show runs of cable tied wiring in 72th

Me neither

Have you tried looking at Ultra Fine Magnet Wire ?  I think that's available down to Ø0.1 mm or less

or was it more of a rhetorical question ?

• Like 1

I haven't tried that

(is it daft to say I haven't remembered ever hearing about it)

Not rhetorical but the cable run is ribbed armoured plastic with plastic cable ties every few inches

(In fact that doesnt sound aeronautic to me, is it likely or have I simply just seen a restoration job somewhere? This was on the S2 in the RAF museum Hendon)

• Like 1

@Massimo, no I don't see any significant differences

The wings don't seem to have altered at all although there could be changes with regards wiring for the hard points 

I don't know because I haven't looked yet, my main intention here is to replicate the massive engineering in that region

This is why I'm not worried about the wiring either

I've decided to change the retraction lug position by the width of a gnat's significant bits, it looks too far forrard at the mo'

Should it be a bit more athwartships to the retractor cavity?

I expect so, re: that cavity

There's a pair of beefy rails that operate the retract piston

They're not beefy enough for me to try to imitate 'em, sorry

😀

That's coming on nicely.

I have some very fine wire (I think it was originally for motor windings) I used for airlines and cables on 1/50 trucks. Should be fine for 1/72 as well. Same stuff could perhaps be used for cable ties as well (wrap around, twist and trim?) but I hope you eyesight is better than mine!

Drop me a pm with your address (I cleared my inbox at the end of last year) and I'll send you some over to have a shufty at.

Edited by brianthemodeller

13 hours ago, perdu said:

Not rhetorical but the cable run is ribbed armoured plastic with plastic cable ties every few inches

(In fact that doesnt sound aeronautic to me, is it likely or have I simply just seen a restoration job somewhere? This was on the S2 in the RAF museum Hendon)

I would ignore that, it is a late service RAF jet, and preserved as such.

I would say that XN957 is far more representative of the cable layout of a Navy S.1 even down to the correct ties & binding.

Lovely work of the foldy locking bits!

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, perdu said:

the hole between the two hinges is for the cable runs into the wing, any idea how I'm going to show runs of cable tied wiring in 72th

Me neither  :)

I have. Get some very thin fishing line and use a permanent marker to colour it. The cut yourself some thin slivers of Albion Alloys aluminium tube. Anchor the required number of cables in the inner part of the wing, then slide one of the rings you have cut from the tubing over the cables and anchor in the desired position with a drop of thin CA. Repeat this until you have the required number of cable ties in place and then thread the cables through the rib in the outer wing panel and once again secure with CA.

It works, trust me I'm a Martian!

Martian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Great idea

and a very suitable use for Aluminum tubing I bought by mistook when I wanted more Nickel tubing...

Fishing line?

Fishing shops?

Hmm dey sells lead tape and wire in dem places don't dey...

Hmm ponders...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, perdu said:

Great idea

and a very suitable use for Aluminum tubing I bought by mistook when I wanted more Nickel tubing...

Fishing line?

Fishing shops?

Hmm ponders...

Not in the UK unfortunately (well, bad for us modellers, good for the fishes)

58 minutes ago, perdu said:

Great idea

Fishing line?

Fishing shops?

Hmm ponders...

I also have some VERY fine nylon line that I will send with the wire... unless you actually want to visit a fishing shop?? :huh:

• Sad 1

It's not high on my agenda

Who'm I kidding its not even on my agenda but I do have a neighbour...   :)

Thanks anyway Brian I will be working with what I have got for now, including some fine lead wire from a ship model supplier who seems to have left the scene lately

I have been fettling the other hinge today, I think we'll have something to work with soon

:)

17 hours ago, hendie said:

but I'll report back if I have a eureka moment

well, maybe not quite eureka but worth considering.... if you need to replicate ribbed tubing/ducting - How about using a length of lead wire of appropriate diameter, then rolling it with a knife blade (but not cutting through). The lead should be soft enough to take a good indentation.  Just repeat several hundred times along the length and you should have a good substitute

• Like 1

With all this wing folding malarky I got to wondering if the S1 had the upper wing panels covering the hinges removed as on later S2s. (an anti- corrosion measure as I understand it)

In your time frame it would appear not as this photo shows.

Of interest is the streaking from the vortex generators, the replacement panel on the wing of the aircraft just launched and the pale roundels.

Note the terrible join line behind the canopy :D

Buccaneer_launch.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Lovely shot

I always intended leaving the hinge doors in place, they will help hide some of my clumsinesses

This is the Matchbox spine, but not as Maurice intended

Aft of the cockpit there was a gurt wassocky recess where  the thick Lesney canopy was supposed to reside when on the model

With the delightful Falcon vacform the recess was as welcome as closing time on Sunday night back in my day (half past ten if you are my generation, ten oclock if you are even older [unlikely, I have it]) so I had to build it up to a decent thickness

The canopy guide rail slot is planned for but not yet here, I painted it in Gunze Ex Dk Sea Gray to give the PPP a surface to live in

P1140180.jpg

Pseudo carrier parked aircraft copy intended

P1140181.jpg

I know the edges are ropy, they havent been trimmed down yet, does the colour look OK or should I phase it down a bit?

Edited by perdu
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, perdu said:

does the colour look OK

Difficult to say just yet but to my eyes it looks a tad too dark.

The problem with EDSG is that it looks different on the same aircraft type in a line up unless they are all just out of the paint shop.

I know that we should never judge from a colour photo but lets face it,normally what else do we have to compare ?

Look how dark the grey looks on these Hunter GA11s compared to those two Buccaneers in the shot I posted earlier.

e79c3ef7972514256bf20fb6f3a09043.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Every aircraft looks good in EDSG & White!

They most certainly do!

14706628423_d05bde8ca0_c.jpgHunter PR.11 WT723 692 LM G-PRII 18 July 14 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Getting around to your Q Bill, about does the grey look ok, this might sound flippant but I wouldn't get too hung up on the right shade of EDSG malarkey, it varied and weathered so much on carrier jets that many shades of grey (not 50!) seem to fit.

I think some S.1s did have the hinge covers removed, and in the shot above from Scimitar I think the white panel is one of the hinge panels.  Nice streaking effect - far to weathered to be real!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, perdu said:

Rotary?

Not sure rotary ever used that scheme - if they did I can’t think of an example. The helo contemporary of an S1 was probably sporting a fetching yellow-top.... I know you’re a big fan (cough)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1