Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

20 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Less so the wing folds.

You are a bad Martian!

The man is lulling us into a false sense of security and is going to spring a fully folded S2 on us from behind all the malarky.

On second thoughts,given the splendid detail on the Martin Baker alternative letdown system, he is preparing a diarama of S.50, number 417, 1000km south of the Canaries.

• Like 1

Great work om the seats. I am assuming for the S1 that these will be the MB MK4SB seats (also fitted to early FAA S2's)? With regard to differences - on the RAF S2 (in this case XX894),  the seats are clearly marked for the Pilot and Nav and are offset. Whilst there may well be some minor differences I personally have never noticed them and I would proffer that they would be very minor and would be pretty much undetectable in braille scale IMO.

• Like 1

crobinsonh I can only find pictures of S1s with 6SB seats in them

The 4SB is different in the MB website.

Can you refer me to pictures of the 4SB in Buccaneers (that are useable for our model making purposes)

I was expecting different seats but all the references say 6s  :(

Edited by perdu

On 11/07/2017 at 1:28 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

(Oh, how I'd love to see a 1/32 Sea King - but I suspect the only way I'll ever see one is if I scratch build it!)

Now that will be a nevermiss thread...!

Nice seats Bill!

Keith

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brit-in-RI said:

Consider me suitably chastised.

Don't worry - he got me too for a similar infringement involving a Barracuda!:lol:

23 hours ago, perdu said:

I was expecting different seats but all the references say 6s

Chairman perdu, those are resinaceous entities of the highest order.

From my limited knowledge of Buccholstery there were an ongoing series of modifications - is this any help regarding what was upgraded from Mk.4 to Mk.6?

http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/Pages2_files/0_Mk6_Upgrade.html

The same website also states:

'NA.39 Prototype; NA.39 Pre-Production & Buccaneer S.Mk.1
— Martin Baker Mk.4M Ejection Seat initially, but following service upgrades Mk.4MS and Mk.4MSA were subsequently fitted.'

I'm probably teaching egg-sucking here however...

Not so Ser Tony, I have been falling for the poor research technique I've been prey to since I began using the interweb

It tells the story, but so frequently my poor technique doesn't pick up on the subtleties of the results

THEY say type/mk6SB

What they forget to mention clearly is that is in addition to the mk 4s of varying versions

Thank you for helping me with the Buccholstery

I have some decent mk6s for when I head into the Bucc S2s range

The type 4 is basically like the Lightning seat with thigh protection for Martel type screen ejection capability

So I am on to making 4s too

Here are the four mk6SBs with a few bits of additional cyano and resin dust breakage (short shot actually but...) repairs on two of them to fix the canopy breakers

:(

P1130306.jpg

Looks like I may only need the good(ish) pair, still tidy trimming needed but I think theyll do

I ave been fitting the built in units in the kitch office ready for adding the Airwaves etch panelling with their dials and switch positions ready to go

Their throttle position handles are a bit pants but the switchery bits look good enough

I am making a better set of throttles for the console and will be bending the throttle bit to fit

The etch rudder pedals do look kinda nice to me, mostly to be hidden behind the instrument panel and switch consoles later

P1130308.jpg

The white PPP looks worse far than it is, perils of macrotography I suppose  :(

Most of it will disappear behind the cabinets for the Observer, he will have a couple of tellys to watch during the flight

Hope it wasn't Fast and Annoyed Slightly fifteen and a half on the movie screen

The front seat has its natural offset built in as will the lookers when the furniture is in

P1130310.jpg

This pic shows the side wall console and switch panel being sized up for its trimmage, there's to be a duct between the seat and the side of the console which looks like a cabin air system duct that the seat offset allows plenty of room for

Oh well off again to get into Lightning seat alterations

10 hours ago, Brit-in-RI said:
  On 12/07/2017 at 21:42, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

S1.  Baint no Navs in them there

He gets us ALL with that stuff, we think he's OK really but...

• Like 8

You seem to have found the location (Martin Baker website) for Mk4 seat information Bill. The splayed thigh guards on the rear seat were for the Martel screen twixt rear occupants legs on the Mk6 seats in S2B/D's.

On that subject, hold fast on the TV screens for your S1. Martel was only introduced on the S2B (RAF) & i think its FAA equivalent S2D.

The earlier S1/S2A/S2C had different pylons (known as pre martel pylons) rather than the Martel capable "universal pylon"

Some pics.

Resin Mk4 seats

https://modelimex.com/1-48-martin-baker-mk-4-sb-sword-airfix#

Buccaneer S2A with pre Martel pylons.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/full_size_068/1102515-large.jpg

CMR instructions showing different pylons.

http://www.cmrmodels.co.uk/cmr72-238/cmr72-238_pld_c2.jpg

Scans of (sorry) poor quality diagrams of S2 cockpits, gives basic idea of the layout.

Front

img234.jpg

Rear, ignore item 10 Martel/Pavespike TV screen.

img235.jpg

My post seems to have jumped about from cockpits to pylons, but hopefully some info for now & later in the build for you.

Rob.

• Like 3

Rob please feel free to jump about and in any time, not only when you have such valuable contributions in mind

The 1/48 seats for the Lightning are exquisite and I'd pop them in like a shot if this was in big scale

Would there have been canopy breakers fitted atop the unit, I wonder?

I'll be using the images as guides for the mk4sbs later today, might as well get on with it

No knee spreaders then? Only lots of the S1s I saw had a kind of blade shaped knee horn on them

Black against grey seats panels

• Like 1

I do have similar cockpit diagrams,supposedly for Naval Buccs

So I will be comparing them in order to get the S1 cockpit organised

No Sidewinder or flare controls either

(Shame really, the Airwaves set has the faces for a pair of flare packs on it). ☺

Nice busy day ahead then, ciao. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, perdu said:

He gets us ALL with that stuff...

With my user name, would you expect anything else?  Us Fly Navy types have to keep our end up, you know.

• Like 1

He he

A timely reminder I need to source decals of light blue letters and numbers for future use

Don't think I'll be making my S2 carry dayglo underbelly placards though

😁

• Like 1

I am liking the way the cockpits are looking. I just wish you would make up your mind about those wing folds though. :devil:

Martian

• Like 3

Tough innit Martian   :)

Wotzegonnadonextest?

Some lovely Sea Vixen shots in there too Scim thanks

And for them as doesn't know, no I'm not doing the Sea Vixen any time whilst my stashlet is Vixless

Which it is...

• Like 1