Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

OK to bring this evening of welcome thaw to a gentle close

Wait no longer

Steely rings added and jetpipes inserted where they will do the most...er?  Good?

P1010060.jpg

Here endeth plan A

Now (tomorrow) I can get mixing with the Milliput and inserting some intakes

Nightol

:penguin:

Edited by perdu
  • Like 13

20 hours ago, perdu said:

P1010060.jpg

I've just had a thought, with your ingenuity how hard would it be to remove those jet pipes, the steely rings, strip paint, maybe join the two together and perhaps make something from them, say a Phantom gun pod?

Excellent work Bill, they really do look just the ticket!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

OK glad you arent entirely put off so far

Now, the next (best) thing

I wish to present to the jury these images taken mostly from the internet and with no wish to pinch their ownership

The subject of our consideration is the Buccaneer recce pack

I was sent the recce pack herein, which represents this one by the look of it, I understand that writing of any sort was optional

Maybe a bit like hanging a tigers tail from our aerials was back in the day i.e

reccepod1.jpg

This is a hefty package and as you see is bolted under an S2

P1010065.jpg

As you can just make out I have drawn the changed camera window that shows above this

It hangs quite a large distance below the fuselage and has what seem to be oblique angled cameras  to the sides

P1010066.jpg

Looks very hefty does it not?

As I am S1-ing it these are the best S1 packs I can find, similar to the above but a cigarless experience I say

I am looking to get more like this I think

reccepod3.jpg

Especially as my Buccaneer is to be 109 in the same unit

This one looks to be far shallower than the one I have (nice shot of the Palouste hose here too)

and here

reccepod2.jpg

Different unit, same slimline recce pack I thing you would agree

And in a world of rash assumptions I assume this is the pack divorced (or separated) from the airframe

reccepod4.jpg

These hang noticeably higher than the first one we looked at, is it safe to assume I should drastically reduce the package's depth for the fit on an S1?

Answers on a postcard...

No I mean if anyone has a clue I would be happy and able to finish the fuselage and get the fin and rudder on board

Anybody????

Edited by perdu
  • Like 5

Yup that is the impression I get too, colour me perplexed...

It looks as if it sits flush but has side extensions to square the circular bomb bay shape

:(

Another thing, those members of RAF aircrew I had the pleasure of meeting were unquestionably adamant

Never carry the safety flying helmet (bone dome etc)by the straps

can we have a nautical view , please?

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, perdu said:

It looks as if it sits flush but has side extensions to square the circular bomb bay shape

Yup, spot on methinks Bill.

Likely then that there were two different packs?

Would the S1 have had the power to lug around that great big lump of a thing as per the S2?

So many questions & no answers from me I'm afraid...

Night night

K

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, perdu said:

Another thing, those members of RAF aircrew I had the pleasure of meeting were unquestionably adamant

Never carry the safety flying helmet (bone dome etc)by the straps

Yep, we had that drummed into us at a very early stage -always carry it underarm with visor cover on! Remember reading an article in (I think I remember the title right) Air Clues, which was the in house flight safety mag, where a fast jet driver had either been killed or seriously injured when his bone dome was ripped off during ejection. The result of the investigations was that the strap attachments had become weakened by carrying it by the strap.

Really am off to the land of nod now!

K

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, perdu said:

...can we have a nautical view , please?

Yep, we were told the same thing.  But then we were also told that we couldn't draw / paint things on them (allegedly because it might “weaken the surface”).  Baseball caps on the flight deck at flying stations a complete no-no, too; they made excellent FOD.

I wasn’t aware that there was ny difference between S1 & S2 recce pack; are you certain it isn’t just the angle of photos?  [Since I have a resin recce pack destined for the belly of a 1/48 S1, I am particularly interested in the answer!]

• Like 1

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Might be just my tired old eyes Bill, but the S1 pack doesn't look any deeper than the usual bomb bay? Just maybe a little more bulged at the sides?

Keith

Inclined to agree but only seeing all this from phone at moment so difficult to say. Also thought maybe that in first pic of S2, overall EDSG is stark contrast to what looks like a white pack so that too could exaggerate? 

Terry

• Like 1

That resin recce pack does stick out a lot, We have one on xx889 at bruntingthorpe, and it sits fairly flush to the fuselage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I will have some serious modification to that from our observations then

The resin one has a huge radiused bulge that is not on the prototype versions

Looks as if you need to be careful about that Crisp, on your S1

Edited by perdu