Spitfire Vb W3828 Question

Mike M

Hi,

Does anyone know what codes Spitfire Vb W3828 would have carried whilst with 266 Sqn. I would like to know this information for the end of October 1941. The Squadron ORB does not help nor does the combat report filed on 27th Oct by Sqn Ldr Green who shot down a Do217 in this aircraft.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Had presentation name "Holt VI", according to 'Gifts of War'.  It was apparently 'R' with 350 Squadron much later, but there are enough events between that I wouldn't call 'R' any more likely than any other letter!

Unfortunately that's a very hard thing to find unless you get lucky. 

bob

I have just checked 266's ORB and unfortunately W3828 was not Sqn Ldr C.L.Green's usual aircraft. Had it been so I would have placed good money on it having been 'UO-G' as Green's aircraft throughout 1942/3 when he continued as CO of 266 was always 'G'.  His regular aircraft in late 1941 was W3837 (presumed UO-G) but for some reason he was flying W3828 when he shared in the destruction of the Do 217.  He had been in W3837 when he damaged a 109 on 13 Oct 41.

W3828 seems to have been used by a number of different Sgt pilots so no clues there I'm afraid.

CT