Westland Whirlwind

Hi Folks,

Here's another of my recent oldie builds from the bottom of the stash.

It is a starter pack reissue from a few years back that was the retooling of the original airfix kit from nineteen canteen!

Very easy assembled kit with an overall pleasing outline that caputuresvthe look of the real thing (i think). I have mounted it on a Matchbox stand as its wheels up and allows for more dinamic poses rather than the single position stand Airfix provides.

Here's the pics...

IMG_2477_zps4bclrode.jpg

IMG_2478_zpswetvw8hd.jpg

IMG_2479_zpsc1urffjd.jpg

IMG_2480_zpsasmxe28r.jpg

IMG_2481_zpssompakje.jpg

IMG_2482_zpsh0rklgpi.jpg

IMG_2483_zpslfdpc8sl.jpg

There y'go another Airfix classic from the vaults, thanks for looking, comments welcome,

Cheers

Greg  ^_^

• Like 40

That's a cracking build of the old Airfix Whirlwind Greg,another kit long overdue a re-tool I've mulled over Trumpeter's 1/48 offering

as It's one of my favourite aircraft but it's pricey by my standard's.

• Like 1

• Mike changed the title to Westland Whirlwind
3 hours ago, Tentacles said:

Nice Whirlwind, I like the effect on the spinners. Recently built this myself. It's basic but a fun build. 

Thanks Tentacles!

I pinched the idea for the spinners from another BMer, and I think it's quite effective.

The Whirlwind is a good looking aircraft but to me is best presented wheels up.

Cheers Greg:yes:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

That's a cracking build of the old Airfix Whirlwind Greg,another kit long overdue a re-tool I've mulled over Trumpeter's 1/48 offering

as It's one of my favourite aircraft but it's pricey by my standard's.

Hi Steve,

I totally agree, the Special Hobby and Trumpeter kits are too rich for my blood. Mr Airfix needs to do a new one for us :wink:

Cheers Greg 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jessica said:

Hi Greg,

If you can bear to snap the tailplanes off, they shouldn't have any dihedral. I like how you achieved the illusion of spinning props. It's very effective.

Hi Jessica,

Hmm, now you mention it they do look a bit odd:huh: l'll see about altering them later. All my builds have a few flaws in them its like my trademark 😉

Cheers

Greg

• Like 1

Very nice, I have one of these packed away in the stash somewhere for a similar build although the CA 48 scale one is in the wardrobe and close at hand, may have to start on that one.

Great work

All the best
Chris

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Very nice, I have one of these packed away in the stash somewhere for a similar build although the CA 48 scale one is in the wardrobe and close at hand, may have to start on that one.

Great work

All the best
Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the kind comments. The Whirlwind is a great subject to model, and not one you see too often. Good luck with your build.

Cheers

Greg ;)

That's a really great model Greg and I'm really impressed with your 'in flight' presentation! Brilliantly executed! Very well done. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Really nice Greg. I sold my one of these when I came by a Special Hobby one, seeing this build of yours, that may have been a mistake. :( I do like the prop effect, it looks great.

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

That's a really great model Greg and I'm really impressed with your 'in flight' presentation! Brilliantly executed! Very well done. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

The Matchbox stands are great for in flight models as you can play around with different views of the aircraft when taking pictures, hence the reason I included more photos of this build. I took the photos outside on Saturday morning and the great sunlight really make the Whirlwind stand out against the blue background.

Cheers

Greg :D

• Like 2

Just now, stevehnz said:

Really nice Greg. I sold my one of these when I came by a Special Hobby one, seeing this build of yours, that may have been a mistake. :( I do like the prop effect, it looks great.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

I'm sure your Special Hobby kit will build up nicely, and have a lot more detail OOTB. The Airfix kit is one of their classic minimal parts models and was very straightforward, especially since I chose not to lower the undercart.

The prop blur is very easy to do, and was "borrowed" from a fellow BMer .

Cheers

Greg :yes::yes:

• Like 1

Just now, Viking said:

Nice 'action' display Greg. Always good to see these oldies make an apearance,

Cheers

John

Thanks John, glad you like it.

The old Matchbox stands are great for "action" poses. Frog had something similar with the ball n socket thing, but theirs came with an option to mount it on the wall too (great for saving shelf space).

The old kits are still worth building not just for nostalgia's sake but because they are very relaxing to do.

Cheers

Greg

I remember making one of these more years ago than I will mention....... A super representation and a very good build. BTW I too always seem to get something wrong in my builds - but others either do not notice or are too polite to point them out!

P

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pheonix said:

I remember making one of these more years ago than I will mention....... A super representation and a very good build. BTW I too always seem to get something wrong in my builds - but others either do not notice or are too polite to point them out!

P

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for the kind words.

To err is human :lol:...that's my excuse anyway! I usually spot the mistakes after I have taken the photos :tmi:, the camera never lies! I don't mind people pointing them out as long as its just being helpful, and I expect many are being very polite when viewing my builds in that respect, bless 'em.

All the best

Greg

Another fine old scool Airfix build. The idea to pose it on a stand from Matchbox ( good old stuff as well ) came out superb, something the Whirlwind needs.

Guess the name of the aircraft was no surprise.

:mike:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GrzeM said:

I love this airplane! Very well done model!

I've got Special Hobby kit, I'll build it someday!

Thank you GrzeM,

I love the Whirlwind too, its one of those aircraft that look great in its element.

Good luck with your Special Hobby kit,

Cheers

Greg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BerndM said:

Another fine old scool Airfix build. The idea to pose it on a stand from Matchbox ( good old stuff as well ) came out superb, something the Whirlwind needs.

Guess the name of the aircraft was no surprise.

:mike:

Cheers mate,

The oldies are great for a quick build and with a bit of effort still come out looking good.

:clap2:all the best,

Greg

• Like 1

I'm hopelessly obsessed with the Whirlwind ......the right engine who knows what she may have been

top version and love it in 1/72

cheers!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Winenut said:

I'm hopelessly obsessed with the Whirlwind ......the right engine who knows what she may have been

top version and love it in 1/72

cheers!

Thanks Winenut!

Yes, it's a pity the type had such a short service life. Great looking aircraft.

Cheers

Greg

13 minutes ago, Mark4700 said:

You've made a fantastic job of this. I like seeing the old kits made. 

Thanks very much Mark,

It's a great old kit to add to the collection.

Cheers

Greg:yes: