Short Stirling, 7 Squadron Pathfinders, 1/72 Italeri

At Sea

Okay, 

Had a look through my stash and there is loads of stuff that fits this GB.

2 Lancasters, 2 Halifaxs, 2 1/48 Lightings, a Javelin, a Lynx HMA8 with the conversion kit to make a HAS3, a Valiant, 2 Victors...

So obviously I went on eBay and bought a Short Stirling.

Always had a soft spot for the Stirling.  Classically British in so many ways...

Second choice from the start (Supermarine's 4 engine bomber was on the cards).

Hamstrung by stupid regulations (100' wingspan, carry 24 troops etc etc...).

The first of the breed of 4 engined heavy bombers, later eclipsed by more capable aircraft that none the less never had to meet the original design compromises.

When Shorts tried to bring out an upgraded Stirling the Ministry told them not to bother.

Stayed in service from inception until the end of the war and found it's niche in a role it was never designed for.

Remember reading when I was a school boy tales of flying through the Alps to Italy because of the low ceiling.  Wow.

Huge, majestic, slightly gawky and flawed.  The Stirling has it all.

Now off to do some research as I will be building one of 7 Squadron's aircraft.

I like the idea of building one of the Pathfinder squadrons as the Mighty Stirling should be modelled not as a poor relation to the later Heavies (both developed from mere 2 engined aircraft I might add) or as a bloody glider tug but instead be doing the business, first in, last out in the hard role of Pathfinder / Master bomber.  That appeals to me.

I also plan to have a Bomber Command display cabinet eventually, with the Stirling, Halifax, Lancaster, Valiant, Victor, Vulcan all together.  4 engined heavy bombers, 3 in Night and 3 in anti-flash white.  So fitting to build the Stirling first.  Hopefully but the time I finish the Victor Airfix will have a lovely new tool Vulcan out!

I'm not home for a few weeks, but will crack on then.  

See you all soon!

• Like 6

Ah, magnificent choice, both of machine and squadron (7 Sqn I believe were based at Oakington, so they're on my long list of locally based units. The Morrisons in Cambourne is decorated with photos of Stirlings at RAF Bourn, which gives one something to look at while queuing for a checkout).

• Like 1

What a great introduction to the subject. While the list of existing kits in your stash is a good one this is great excuse  reason to add another :D 

• Like 1

Two Stirlng pilots won the VC, both posthumously.  Flight Sergeant Rawdon Middleton, RAAF, of 149 Squadron and Flight Sergeant Arthur Aaron of 218 Squadron.  Both were involved in attacks on Turin flying Stirling Mk. IIIs and both pilots were severely wounded, Aaron on the run-in through the Alps and Middleton by flak over the target.  It has been suggested that Aaron's injuries were inflicted by the gunner of another bomber who had mistaken the Stirling for an attacking night-fighter.

Despite his injuries Middleton remained in his seat and flew his crippled bomber back through the Alps and across France whilst sitting in the howling gale blasting through the hole where his windscreen had been.  With fuel almost gone the bomber crossed the English coast, Middleton turned it to run parallel and ordered his crew to jump.  Five of them did so and survived, the two remaining stayed with the aircraft too long in an attempt to get Middleton out of his seat and then the escape hatch.  All three perished.

Aaron's crew managed to get him to the rest bunk, no mean feat in itself, to treat his wounds and set course for Bone in North Africa.  As they neared the airfield Aaron insisted on returning to his seat to make the landing.  He made two approaches but abandoned both as unsatisfactory.  He was about to do the same on the third when his co-pilot, more aware than his badly-injured captain of their par loudly low fuel state, reached across and forcibly separated Aaron from the controls, going on to land the aeroplane off that approach.  Aaron died of his injuries within 48 hours; had he remained on the bunk he could well have survived, as his crew did.

There are probably many more Stirling crew members who should have won the VC but no-one survived from their crews to tell their stories.

• Like 4

Amazing tales of selflessness. Given Bomber Command's statistics as a whole I believe for every VC there must be 10 tales of similar bravery that went untold.

Bravery is an over used word, as is selfless and duty.

I was reading Shackelton's story again recently and was struck by how very different the Edwardian mind is to our own.  Working in a industry where death is more common place than in normal life I feel a small affinity for the mindset, but we can never wholly understand that generation in their own terms.

• Like 1

I've been tempted a few times by a Stirling, there's just something about them. Mind if I follow along? 

• Like 1

Thanks for the interset chaps, of course you may follow.  Comments appreciated.

Only a week to go now until I get home and start!

Seems I  have a real interest to follow along now, the kids have surprised me this morning with the Italeri Sterling kit! If I can get the 110 done soonish I might make a start in time for the GB. 

Looking forward to seeing you make a start. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, At Sea said:

Race ya! :-)

Ha ha no chance. 

I've got problems with a 110 I'm building..... 

• Like 1

Right oh!

Weather is crap for June so in the window between being able to actually ride a bike and the Tour starting I have got my Stirling out.

IMG_8779.jpg

IMG_8782.jpg

IMG_8783.jpg

Quite pleased so far, I have taken a degree of licence and not punched out all the windows as it is a pain.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well progress is good, really happy with the progress on my first 4 engine heavy since I have updated my skill set from hairy sticks and enamels.

No pictures to show, and to be honest not sure if there will be.  very very annoyed by Photobucket and can't be bothered to transfer everything for this to just happen again somewhere else...

Fuselage done, wings done.

• Like 1