Airbrush Spitting

GazB

Evening all.

Bit of a little conundrum here. I've been airbrushing my models for about a year, but recently my Revell Basic Airbrush and Compressor Set has been on its way out. I've always used the lowest pressure setting and its started making a clunky noise when in operation (something rattling in it too). After buying three separate replacements of the same set (but which ended up being the European version and not the UK one) and sending them back due to really poor performance, I turned to a mini-compressor set I found on Amazon, specifically this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Floureon-Airbrush-Compressor-Action-Artwork/dp/B01LZI6UG7/ref=pd_sbs_21_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KQZDRWDW74TNWQ44MT75

So far it has the same kind of operation and performs more like my original set, but I'm having an issue with spatter. The set has a double-action airbrush, but I swapped out the connector with that of my single action airbrush, which then connects into the supplied filter. This corrects the problem of the airbrush spitting out globs of paint whenever I trigger the airflow, but the paint on the whole still seems to be spitting finely around the target area. I'm using the same paint, thinned to the same level, as I did before without issue, so I'm a bit stumped. The needle is clean and straight, the pressure seems to be comparable to my previous compressor, and the paint is the same. So I'm not particularly sure what to do. There's a little adjusting screw at the back of the airbrush, which my original didn't have. I don't know if that could avert that, but playing around with it while the airbrush isn't running told me it tightens the trigger until it doesn't move.

Any ideas on what I could do to rectify this? Its not so bad for larger work, although it would be less efficient since the paint is spraying beyond where its intended, but details could be problematic, especially freehand camo.

P.S. I'm using Tamiya paint, which I thin in the pots to the same level.

Gaz 

Edited by GazB
Additional info

OK first question, have you tried using your old airbrush seeing as you didn't have this issue with that one? That way you can confirm whether the issue is the Floureon airbrush, or pressure related. If not the airbrush I would suggest pressure is too low: I note the product details state that the working air pressure is 5-10 psi. Paint has to be pretty thin to flow smoothly that low, normally I am running in the 10-20 psi range, but this can be very personal to your airbrushing style.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2017 at 6:06 PM, CheshireGap said:

OK first question, have you tried using your old airbrush seeing as you didn't have this issue with that one? That way you can confirm whether the issue is the Floureon airbrush, or pressure related. If not the airbrush I would suggest pressure is too low: I note the product details state that the working air pressure is 5-10 psi. Paint has to be pretty thin to flow smoothly that low, normally I am running in the 10-20 psi range, but this can be very personal to your airbrushing style.

Oh, apologies for not replying. First time I saw an alert for this message ><

Both airbrushes perform the same when using the compressor. After a few weeks of trial, the spitting now seems a bit minimal, only really noticeable with high contrast colours. 

I had wondered if it was the pressure, though.

Thanks for the reply.

Gaz