KaSkr KACKP (Kamov) - 1 Soviet Autogyro 1929 Amodel 1/72

Hello folks,

My entry is a little unusual.

I have a weak spot for Autogyros. 

Fortunately for the BM universe, until now this affliction has not been thrust forth, up, down, port or starboard onto or into these hallowed digital pages.

All that, is, I'm sad to say, going to change :D.

IMG_7436.jpg

KASKR-1

The Soviets sometimes had an interesting habit of, shall we say, building things following the lead, the example, of others.

Their earliest, and even their second autogyro, both fit very well into this category of development.

The most inspiring genius in this field, and the  man regarded as the inventor of the Autogyro itself, was one Juan de la Cierva y Codorníu; Count de la Cierva of Mercia, Spain.

His inventions, life in Spain, then life and untimely death in England, are described here, on Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_de_la_Cierva

His Cierva C.6 autogiro design, first demonstrated to the Air Ministry in Farnborough, Hampshire, England in 1925, was based upon the fuselage and many other main components of the British Avro 504K biplane aircraft.

IMG_7460.jpg

Avro 504K British Trainer Aircraft (Wikipedia: Public Domain)

The subsequent and more stable Cierva C.8 series Autogyros, were also based on the Avro 504K and derivatives such as the Avro 552 and Avro 504N (Cierva C.8L Mk II and III).

Meanwhile, the Soviet Union, in addition to using a number of British built Avro 504K aircraft  following the Great War,  was producing its own copy; the Uchebnyi -1 (У-1) U-1 Avrushka ('Little Avro').

IMG_7466.jpg

У-1 (Avrushka - 'Little Avro') Wikipedia Russia PD.

In turn, as had been the case with the original Cierva C.6 and C.8 Autogyros and the Avro 504K derivative fuselages, the Soviets used a U-1 '504K copy' as the basis for their KaSkr-1, Cierva C8 based autogiro. It was virtually a copy of the Cierva C.8L Mk. III.

The name designation was taken from

the names of the designers: Kamov and N.K.Skrzhinskii.

Known as 'Red Engineer' (Krasny Inzhener), a number of trials took place in this U-1 based Autogyro:

IMG_7432.jpg

This first version was not particularly successful, a full account of its flight achievements (or, sadly more correctly, lack of them), can be found here:

http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/kamov_kaskr-1.php

Everyone has to start somewhere and this airframe was subsequently modified into the KAСКP-2, a notably more successful autogyro.

I will use Russian type designation from now on. The KAСКР-1 and KAСКР-2, and a number of other splendid Autogyros and exotic early Soviet aircraft are produced, in 1/72, by Amodel. 

People tend to love or hate early Amodel kits. They are short-run and often pose a number of challenges. The challenges can vary from batch to batch of the same kit, but in general, their kits are becoming, although still definitely 'short-run', easier to  get together.

I have always liked them; the unusual subjects and often bizarre challenges make them, to me, a little like a combination of a new kind of Rubik's cube, as yet unsolved, and a model kit.

I don't always succeed in completing them. I still have a stalled thread here on Britmodeller involving three of their I-16's.

Don't worry, that thread isn't over yet :D!

Here I will attempt to build this first Soviet autogyro,, replete with what appear to be washing lines with socks hanging off of them. OOB, exactly as you can see on the box-art:

IMG_7417.jpg

As the Australians here will understand, it is clear here that we can see the ghostly image of Stalin looking down, quite contentedly, as his socks dry on his design bureaux's first attempt at the 'Hill's hoist'.

This design was subsequently exquisitely perfected in the antipodes for its designated purposes. To this day it is known to be capable of flight, given correct wind speed and direction:

IMG_7462.jpg

I am very much looking forward to the challenge(s) that I'm sure this kit will pose.

As stated, it will be OOB and clean. All photographs I can find show it as a cared for and clean experimental prototype.

I am behind with my modelling projects for a number of unavoidable (and mostly unpredictable) reasons, but hope to start this soon.

I am struggling to find control panel decals for my F-111 before time runs out.

For the DH Group Build, the recent announcement of a forthcoming 'twin-stage' Mosquito from Special

Hobby, also has me rethinking sawing up a 'virgin' more or less mint collectible Matchbox Mozzie.

Therefore, whilst I ponder those two, I will move ahead with my Jak - 23 for the Prototypes, World Firsts and Record Breakers GB, and in all likelihood, make a start on this on Saturday (Mrs. T has a coursework assignment to write that day).

I hope this build will provide something a little different. Thank you for reading this far if you're still here :), it would be lovely to have you on board :thanks: 

IMG_7441.jpg

Bye for now and have a nice Friday :bye: 

TonyT

• Like 8

I've seen this kit before but as the name is always written in capitals the Kamov connection never clicked. I look forward to seeing it come together.

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks for popping in and for your kind comments folks :).

It's 3am here 'down under' and I'm just about to nod off.

I hope to start this evening.

See you soon :bye: 

TonyT

A splendid opening history lecture Tony. I have myself cast a quizzical eye across this very kit on more than one occasion, so will be only too happy to vicariously view the various vicissitudes it engenders. :thumbsup:

Best o' luck!

Tony

• Like 1

Excellent choice, Tony! I think your take on Amodel is a rather accurate one. Their kits, especially their early ones (ask me about their Ka-31!) can be a bit challenging, but they have an extraordinary range of Soviet subjects, including some very interesting experimental types, such as this little aircraft you're going to do. Right now I'm working on their Polikarpov I-180. Good luck on your kit! Za Rodinu!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

I believe this early Amodel kit is, ahem, 'inspired' by the fuselage of the old Airfix Avro504 kit (ironic really isn't it!), and therefore perpetuates the incorrectly dimensioned fuselage of that kit. Having said that, this is just from recollection- and I haven't looked in to it further, but I guess this is something you might want to investigate.

Good luck with some old-skool modelling!

Will

• Like 1

Glad you join the fun in this GB Tony and a great introduction of a an esoteric subject - love it :thumbsup:

Also good to hear that you enjoy the challenge Amodel kits present - one day I will overcome my hesitation to build an Amodel kit :whistle:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1