Unusual Blenheim IV modification

Seahawk

Has anyone else noticed the Blenheim IV in the foreground of the photo at the top of p.125 of the May 2017 Flypast?  It's an article on the history of XV Sq and the photo depicts a gathering of XV and 82 Sq Blenheim IVs at Wyton in July 1940.  The aircraft of interest to me (Txxxx, LS code but no individual letter) seems to have a long ventral bath under the nose, like that used later on the Blenheim V.  It is quite unlike the transparent blister with ventral gun featured by other aircraft in the shot and is definitely not the later FN underside turret.

I'm assuming it is a trial of the Blenheim V configuration but was unaware that it was flying on one (or more?) Blenheim IV(s) as early as July 1940.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkoZG said:

Could you post that photo here for the benefit of us who don't have that magazine, so we could help with comments?

Since it's the edition currently available in the shops, I don't feel I should do.

I don't have it to hand, but from the description it is a photo that has appeared in several publications on the Blenheim.  Which, if so, does show how differences can be missed when you "know" what you are looking at!

• Like 1

That is interesting! I put the spread together and missed that. As Graham says it just goes to show.

I suspect the aircraft in the foreground is T1957, but a quick check through the Air-Britain files doesn't show it as being singled out for special attention. It was with 15 Squadron when the image was taken, so the timescale fits.

I'll drop the author a line and see if he's got anything else in his archives - you never know...

C