difference between MERDC grey desert variant and reddish variant?

Davide Calzolari

You mean like all those colour photos  in the section at the bottom of the menu to left of the screen on that website?

• Like 1

This camo was just starting to come into use as I left the Marine Corps (1978). The above photo is a great example of "gray desert" MERDC. 

To be truthful, as a west coast Marine, I only saw "summer verdant" and "gray desert". This would coincide with the large desert training areas out west as well as what was, at the time, thought to be a threat area (Pacific rim). 

Years later the PD I was with took charge of a few surplus US Army trucks. All were painted in "winter verdant" colors except one was "Summer verdant"

The US 7th Army tested camo called MASSTER in Europe at the same time. :blink:

That is also illustrated on the above listed web site.

I say all this because i believe it drives home a point. There were a variety of colors schemes in use at any given time based on geography. 

• Like 2

New Zealand used the Red Desert MERDC scheme for a number of years - it was rarely used by the US Army.

Red Desert MERDC example

Major colours (each 45%) were Earth Red and Earth Yellow

Minor colours (each 5%) were Sand and Black

Grey Desert MERDC example

Major colours (each 45%) were Field Drab (ie brown) and Sand

Minor colours (each 5%) were Earth Yellow and Black

The 'brown' used for the Red Desert was much darker/more red-brown and note how the Sand (lighter shade) and Earth Yellow (darker shade) colours swap significance compared to the Grey Desert scheme.

Cheers,

Centaur

Edited by Centaur95
  • Like 2