Matchbox 1/72 Meteor NF14

Hi Guys,

Following on from the 70's NATO GB, I am in with this old girl. Taking inspiration from Old Thumper I am hitting the Matchbox kits from my stash and, I must say, having  blast! Other than the etched brass I will be building the kit straight from the box with Modeldecal decals to finish. I won't be able to start until the weekend though; I am on a training course at the moment and the workload is bonkers!

Dave

IMG_20170523_081119_zpsvq8hjoxu

Edited by rafalbert
  • Like 5

Nice, very nice to see a MB kit in this GB.

I made a MB Halifax in the first made in Britain GB. I loved to it.

The detais are a little bit sparse, but with some extra work it can be build into a fine model.

I will watch this one. :popcorn:

Cheers,

The kit and etch are of a certain era and while both may lack the detail of more modern examples I'm sure a great model will result from them :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Please accept my apologies for the lack of updates; my training course at work has been bonkers and I still have 2 weeks to go (the joys of learning new airspace). I have made a start, and must confess that after several days of fettling with the p.e. I have given up as I could not get it to fit. I have used the seat belts and instrument panels and I may use the aerials, but it is detracting from what was supposed to be a fun build so enough is enough. Here is where I am at the moment, it looks like I have done nothing! More to follow.....

IMG_20170618_143447_zpslovp5sns

Edited by rafalbert

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, course now completed and passed so the pressure is off for a while meaning more time for modelling! As has been mentioned many times, the fit of this kit is not great so a large amount of filler has been (and no doubt will continue to be) required. The fuselage and tail have been joined up (as per the pic), wings next with the lovely intake join to sort out. I haven't attached the nose yet due to the fact that I have run out of weights so am waiting for the new order to arrive. More to follow shortly!

IMG_20170702_102602_zpsw9mko7xe

Edited by rafalbert
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember this one from when it first came out, and it was the first Matchbox kit that needed so much filler that I had encountered! Good work on getting it looking so neat. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Ray

• Like 1

A "large amount of filler needed" is the understatement of the century.

I remember my kit being green with putty from nose to tail... Get ready to buy another tube!

The Meteor 14 is definitely the best looking of the lot, so enjoy!

JR

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Apologies for a lack of updates, my modelling seems to keep being pushed to the back of the queue as far as my time goes. The old girl is now all together, although the tail needs re-blending due a fall and inevitable docking! I am away on holiday tomorrow so will prioritise this on my return. Incidentally, if anyone knows of any decent model shops in San Diego a heads up would be appreciated! :D

IMG_20170807_213243

Edited by rafalbert
  • Like 1

Yup mine was a filler sponge too. Be wary of the underwing join, because in mine I obliterated the underwing airbrake in order to make the wing blend into the fuselage.

If in San Diego then you have to do USS Midway. Even Mrs H was fascinated by a USN pilot Vet on deck giving an account of a catapult launch in front of the F-4. She guffawed at the answer to the question 'did you bomb the Vietnamese?' The answer he gave? 'No mam, we dropped Herschey Bars!'

Trevor

• 3 weeks later...

.....and back.

USS Midway was excellent, as was the Flying Leatherneck museum at Miramar, and the Castle AFB museum (although the 42°C heat there was oppressive). Anyway, I have restarted the Meteor and she is now primed and ready for painting, which will probably start tomorrow.

IMG_20170824_181144

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Decalled, now awaiting the final coat, undercarriage, canopy etc. The kit and Modeldecals went on fine, but the Xtradecals would not adhere at all, and pretty much fought with Microset and sol. This is the first issue I have had with Xtradecals so hopefully it is a one off!

IMG_20170909_193009

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finally done. What with work, leave and ripping out the bathroom this has taken far longer than anticipated. The Meteor wears the colours of the c.o. 33sqn's personal aircraft, taken from the Modeldecal sheet. The decals in general were fine, although there is quite a bit of silvering I could not eliminate even with klear/Microlset/Microsol. She will never win any competitions but she was pretty good fun to build!

IMG_20170922_141951IMG_20170922_142000IMG_20170922_142008IMG_20170922_142109IMG_20170922_142123IMG_20170922_142035

• Like 6

That Meteor looks fine.  I'm glad youhaven't washed and weathered the pants off it: most contemporary photos show the aeroplanes with quite a glossy finish and, as the C.O.'s jet, '844 would probably have been the shiniest on the unit.  This was always one of my favourite Matchbox kits; I'd be really chuffed if Airfix did a night fighter in 1/48th to compliment their Mk. 8.

Thanks for your comments guys, they are greatly appreciated. The finish is somewhat more satin than the photos suggest, and I prefer the look of 50's jets to be clean as in my head they always would have been!