1/72nd Chipmunk build.

Recently bought two of the newly released AZ Chipmunks.  Looked forward to these for a long time! But on checking the parts and decals out was a bit disappointed when I found several errors.

IMG_1884_zpscwbkos5b.jpg

The decals first. The font style for 18044, the Canadian fuselage titles is not quite right and the spelling error that shouldn't have happened! 'Forces Armees........' being correct and not as printed on the sheet and box art. Also the font style the larger code numerals and letters are just not quite right but acceptable.

IMG_1885_zps0qushhdf.jpg

Then this. The fin flash for 18079 is wrong too. The size for one thing and the centre white stripe should be  narrow- like the ww2 C TYPE RAF fin flash. In addition for 18044, they show the position of the  Canadian flag and serial too low to make way for the red panel above( which I think looks too big an area) them on the fin. As they would have you place it the serial drapes over the base of the fin, fillet  and fuselage!!! :wtf: Still with the RCAF markings, for the one coded UM079 The roundels provided are all wrong too. They show the current form and for the time scale, the fin flash marking the maple leaf is different!  Those provided for O44 , the other option with the post 1968 Canadian flag is OK.  At least the art work on the back of the box that shows marking positions has the underwing roundel for UM 079 facing opposite directions correctly with the codes facing each way!!

Then we come to the plastic. All looks OK and showing strong resemblances to the Airfix kit.  A nice interior for the size of this kit is provided but the coaming over the instrument panel for the rear seat should be different without the curved shape in picture below...

IMG_1878_zpsggr6wfmr.jpg

A simple thing to correct as below, Just trim back level with the panel face.

IMG_1879_zpsukruirrx.jpg

IMG_1887_zpswsmobtps.jpg

The completed modded central coaming.

IMG_1882_zpsneeedgo5.jpg

One external feature which is missing for this Canadian version is the extra scoop below the port side engine cowl below the panel line. This shows up on the line diagrams on the back of the box but incorrectly shows it both sides. Another simple solution...

IMG_1888_zpsrkspws40.jpg

I made mine from a suitable scoop from another kit and cut it back to suit this one.  Also the scissor links need to be added to the lower end of the undercart legs. The instructions show how to make these but I suspect there will be a etch set coming along soon.

IMG_1889_zpsd5ah5ng7.jpg

Etch seatbelts added.  

IMG_1883_zpsa59iergi.jpg

An example of how very similar AZ parts are to the Airfix ones. The AFX one has the paint. By the way, both are quite thick and don't fit to the model that well. It needs to be paired down on the inside faces to the frames to make it fit well enough!!!

There are just a few other features but too small to really make a difference for a tiny kit but if you want to add them.....

But one feature that does stick out is the baseline of the windshield portion of the canopy. It should have a longish flat base leading back to the main sliding section . As it is, it just has the curve. Airfix did the same on their kit but the shorter curve to the screen is only featured on all UK built Chipmunks. A study of pics on line or your refs will show what I am trying to explain.

Cheers for now.

• Like 6

So far OK.  The wing assembly to fuselage not great. Its done exactly like the Airfix one but not so good a fit. Some trimming needed.  As I am going for a Canadian one I altered the tail plane tips for the extended elevator balance horns with those provided in the kit. ( You can see some black on the pics in post 1).  Basically the main improvement over the Airfix one is the nicer wing surface detail rendition and an acceptable cockpit improvement. And the lack of the rivets though they could be represented with rivetting tools available.

Otherwise not a lot of difference to the Airfix kit. I can see an easy crosskitting exercise  by using AZ wings to an Airfix fuselage.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stever219 said:

Are the anti-spin strakes included in the kit please?  That would also be a definite improvement over the Airfix kit.

Yes,  Another plus for the AZ kit. But no underwing pitot head!!!

• 2 weeks later...

A small update on a slowish build:

IMG_1869_zps7yr2gfje.jpg

IMG_1868_zpse2fyf3gj.jpg

I am depicting the very earliest RCAF training scheme applied to the early Chipmunks then in service. So far I have managed to locate the correct roundels for size and depiction of the silver maple leaf roundels. Still need a mini fin flash and code/ serial digits. But they are in progress.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Rod Blievers said:

Paul - sorry if this is a bit late, but the DHC-1B had the more vertical/subtly thicker exhaust stack.

Hi Rod. Thanks for the pointer. I can still correct it. Must refer to the book more closely... I don't like to take it with me to my shed for fear or spilling glue paint eyc on a fine tome!!

6 minutes ago, Jessica said:

Correct markings available here.  There are also several other options in the list.

Thanks Jessica. Am aware of Canmilair, but I must curb my spending and deplete my mass of decal oddments before buying more;)