*FINISHED* 1/144 Roden Super VC-10 BOAC G-ASGB & BA G-ASGH

Well, I know this subject was quite popular last time but having recently got some decals from Ray at 26Decals to replace those that came with the kit (which were poorly printed) this will be my first foray into this year's GB.

Photos taken by me at Ringway on 23 Aug 1966, presumably it was on the Manchester - Prestwick - New York route.

G-ASGB (1) Super VC-10 BOAC

G-ASGB (3) Super VC-10 BOAC

I'm aiming to build at least two aircraft but have to get my From Russia with Love entry done before too much will be done in this GB.

Regards

Mike

Edited by FortyEighter
Title changed
  • Like 2

Another VC10....Can never have too many. Those photos above are quite interesting. Its got 4 reversers and the original Beaver Tails and not the later Conical shaped assys. I think (not 100% though) that SGB along with Duxford's 'SGC kept the originals. I last saw 'SGB at Abingdon 1992, robbed for  spares  for the K4 contract and scrapped along with about 3 or 4  others.

Looking forward to this build! 

As my mini MiGs are at the seam filling stage, thought I'd make a start on the main VC-10 assemblies:

DSC00703

Will use decals for the windows, the inserts are glued in and look to be just below the outer surface of the fuselage halves - not sure yet if they will need filling flush, depends on how well the kit / decal spacings match.

19 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Another VC10....Can never have too many. Those photos above are quite interesting. Its got 4 reversers and the original Beaver Tails and not the later Conical shaped assys. I think (not 100% though) that SGB along with Duxford's 'SGC kept the originals. I last saw 'SGB at Abingdon 1992, robbed for  spares  for the K4 contract and scrapped along with about 3 or 4  others.

Looking forward to this build! 

Thanks - I'd not compared the photo to the kit!  It's always interesting to gain some further knowledge about a prototype -Brit Modeller is a mine of information.

• Presumably the reversers are the rectangular openings on the rear of the nacelles?  Do you know what the small bulge is on the outside of the starboard nacelle of the kit?
  • Not sure what you are calling the "Beaver tails", though I can see that the protrusions between the exhausts in the photo have a vertical end in the side elevation, whilst the kit comes to a point.

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike...

The Beaver Tails are the things sticking out between the exhausts.SGBs are as that photo. Can't find a picture of SGB with Conical Beavers. Your kit's Beavers are late BOAC/BA and  original East African and that means K3/K4 design too.

That Bulge on the No4 engine..It has a very small access panel to get at the Thrust Reverser Micro Switch connection. I don't think the Reversers are handed, all the same so the No1 engine's equivalent bit would be on the inbd side and not need that bulge. I will try and find out though and let you know.

The reversers are those parts you mentioned. Rectangular openings, top and bottom BTW. The No2 and No3 reversers  were deleted eventually, not required and saved a heap of weight ! Our RAF C.Mk1s and East African and didn't have them

You also mentioned the Prototype...Not something to confuse with the Super VC10 you're building.

There are quite a few "traps" lurking in VC10 world !!

I have some detailed Eng Cowling cowling drawings I can email if you need them. Or any other areas you might need.

Edited by bzn20

Unless SGB has a special meaning you can always do any other BOAC Super and those Beavers would be correct right up to British Airways service from roughly 1968 .

At last just found a good photo of SGB in BA scheme with original Beavers so it never did get the update along with SGC, love to know why !

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/G-ASGB

Hi bzn20 (Brize Norton?)

Thanks for clarifications.........

I'd intended to do SGB simply as I had the photo but may now change my choice of registration.

Altering the Beaver tails should be achievable but suspect that trying to backdate the parts to four reversers might be difficult.

Looking at finished models on this forum, it would appear that all the Roden kits only have two reversers!

Mike

Hi Mike...Yes to Brize Norton !!

The Roden kits are good for the later VC10 look. I might be wrong but I think they are East African, RAF K3 and BOAC, maybe K4 ? All are correct for part of their lives at least. 

East African started with 2 reversers , I  checked my first flight pics and their Beaver Tails were always conical.

RAF K3s are ex East African

RAF K4s are ex BOAC and BA

BOAC deleted two reversers late 60s and updated the Beavers to East African spec around 68 onwards (probably done on C or D check )

You can still do a Super using those Beavers in the 1965 BOAC scheme as in your photos above but not to the 'SGB and 'SGC MOD state. Any other BOAC VC10 SGA and SGD to SGR. That scheme went from April 65 to the first BA scheme .

How are the Stub Wing trailing edges (joins the engines to the fuse) ? Are they tapered or squared off ? looking from the side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stringbag said:

Me too.  Surely the best looking civil airliner Britain ever produced next to Concorde.

Chris.

Same builder and as far as the French input went the fuse structure is derived from the  VC10/BAC 1-11. The window areas are scaled down  VC10/BAC1-11 parts. Vickers really were ahead of the game and not relying on ex Nazi/WW2 designers and drawings snaffled away to build the Boeing jets B-47,B-52 and 707 all using the German 35 degree sweepback. Vickers did get Kuchemann's wing tips.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Same builder and as far as the French input went the fuse structure is derived from the  VC10/BAC 1-11. The window areas are scaled down  VC10/BAC1-11 parts. Vickers really were ahead of the game and not relying on ex Nazi/WW2 designers and drawings snaffled away to build the Boeing jets B-47,B-52 and 707 all using the German 35 degree sweepback. Vickers did get Kuchemann's wing tips.

Now don't you go spoiling it by getting all technical on me.  :tease:

• Like 1

Nice to see the Roden VC-10 getting some attention in this edition of the MiB GB and plenty of comments. Sure this will prove a popular thread.

• Like 1

I have a cunning plan...............

Have realised today that the 26Decals sheet has decals for the reversers (only 4 of course) but as I also have another kit with Negus decals, I could use all 8 reverser decals to make G-ASGB and simply paint them when the second kit is built with just the outer reversers.

That leaves two issues; firstly to convert the Beaver tails to the original "blunt" shape and also recessing the extra four reversers into the nacelles.  Have tried cutting out a square on one inner nacelle and glueing scrap plasticard underneath - as the mould is quite thick, this needs more plasticard on top to reduce the depth of the hole.

Will post some pictures when I get a good likeness but won't have much modelling time in the next fortnight.

Regards

Mike

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Time for an update......

The last couple of weeks have been used to tidy up seam lines, put in the cockpit window etc and I now have the airframe complete - except for the engines which are just a push fit for now.  Have also added the two outer wing fences from plasticard:

20170703_181403

The windscreen took quite some time - it was wider than the fuselage on one side and stood proud at the top edge.  Whether that was the result of my poor assembly or an issue with the moulds I don't know but all is OK now.

I did try adapting one engine so it had two reversers but wasn't happy with my efforts, so this model will be finished as Roden intended.  Not sure yet whether to opt for G-ASGB and accept it won't be 100% accurate or to choose a different airframe but that can wait till the decals go on.

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:00 PM, FortyEighter said:

Presumably this view, so they are tapered.

Sorry.. for some reason I've missed this thread for a while so thank goodness... The Stub's trailing edge you have are okay for BOAC/BA Supers. Not for East African/RAF K3/C. Mk 1 (C.1K) though. They're squared off.

Apologies once again for the delay in answering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

Sorry.. for some reason I've missed this thread for a while so thank goodness... The Stub's trailing edge you have are okay for BOAC/BA Supers. Not for East African/RAF K3/C. Mk 1 (C.1K) though. They're squared off.

Apologies once again for the delay in answering.

No problem - your help is appreciated.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Time for an update; having been working on various seams / joints on and off but we are now in the paint stage.  An initial dust of white primer on the upper surfaces, prior to "Appliance White"

20170805_145739_004

I've also decided to stick with G-ASGB for this model.  After experimenting with cutting holes for the extra reversers, I wasn't very happy with the result so have filled them in and also filled the original reversers and will use the decals from two kits to represent the grills.  Have also modified the beaver tails to give a resemblance of the originals - no prizes for "rivet counting" accuracy but at least they look different to the kit

20170805_145853_001

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

White (Halfords Appliance) and grey (Holts HLgrey01) now applied and sitting on its legs:

20170825_175650

Unfortunately, the aircraft fell off the paint stand as I brought it indoors on Weds and the starboard horiz stabilator broke but most of the pieces were still inside the kitchen towel mask, so it has been repaired and partially repsprayed.

Time to start the decals and not forget the various aerials which still need priming and spraying.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1