HMAS/m AE2, Scratchbuild

Yep took me a while to figure out the centre section shape but I get it now.  The inside of the saddle. tanks will be straight & not wrapped around the tubular hull as they would have been in reality.  Works for me.  Looking good

• Like 1

Yes, that's right. I should have written that last posting more clearly.

The contact between the saddle tanks and the pressure hull will be curvilinear but only when viewed from above. In cross-section, the contact between the two components will be vertical, but no-one will ever see that unless they saw the model in half.

If there's any residual confusion don't worry too mich, it will all become clear in the next couple of posts. 

Clearing up some confusion

Judging from the responses to the last major post, it seems It created some confusion. This is perhaps understandable as I may not have done this the most logical way and, to be honest, if I was doing it again I think I might attack this differently. Still, it seems to be working OK. If anyone has any lingering doubts about what I'm doing I think this post will help clear things up.

Here's the starting point - Central bit, waisted pressure hull, two blocks of liquidambar waiting to form the saddle tanks.

IMG_6696

Mark out the curve that needs to be cut in the saddle tanks to make them fit snuggly into the waisted section of the pressure hull.

IMG_6701

Shade the area that must be removed to make the two pieces meet accurately along that long plan-view curvilinear meeting point that I keep bleating on about.

IMG_6703

Repeat this method of making a nice tightly controlled cut with the bandsaw.

IMG_6704

Make the cut.

IMG_6706

After checking the mating surface between the pressure hull and the saddle tanks I found that there were a few spots where more wood needed to come off the saddle tank to give a nice flush match between the two components. These locations get shaded with grey pencil and rasped down. I have repeated this process several times to try to get the best possible match between the two parts.

IMG_6707

This is as good as I could manage, which is close enough for my purposes.

IMG_6708

Now we need to mark-up the plan shape of the saddle tanks...

IMG_6711

and make a straightforward cut with the bandsaw, followed by some final adjustments with the rasp and some sandpaper.

IMG_6713

And it all fits together like this, yielding a nice curvy and fairly tightly controlled and symmetrical contact line between the waisted pressure hull and the rather bulbous flanking saddle tanks.

IMG_6715

As the components here are just arranged side by side and not glued together yet I can disassemble and re-assemble at will. This is good because soon I will have to start work on the final 3D contours and that work needs to be done piece by piece.

Best Regards and thanks for looking in.

Reconcilor (for now)

• Like 6

More cunning than a cunning thing.......................:shrug:

I have a vague idea what your talking about but a definite idea of the skill its going to take to pull this off

Nice one Matey. watching and learning

Kev

• Like 2

11 hours ago, longshanks said:

More cunning than a cunning thing.......................:shrug:

I have a vague idea what your talking about but a definite idea of the skill its going to take to pull this off

Nice one Matey. watching and learning

Kev

So cunning in fact that you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel! Seriously though I like your modular approach.

Martian

• Like 2

The last of the bandsaw - for now

Once again, cut out the paper shape you need. In this case the profile view of the saddle tanks.

IMG_6717

Stick it on in the right place.

IMG_6718

I think you can see what we are aiming for here.

IMG_6719

Run the cuts - just one for each tank.

IMG_6720

Now we have two tanks that look just like this.

IMG_6722

Even though the tanks have just been made with a bandsaw there is some 3D subtlety to their shape.

IMG_6724

And they fit quite nicely - there will be filler required but I judge that the contact is tight enough that the demarcation between the pressure hull and the saddle tanks will be suitably sharp.

IMG_6725

Mercifully this is as far as I can go with a bandsaw - for now. Next up Chisels!

Reconcilor - AKA 'Bandsaw Steve'

• Like 10

On 24/06/2017 at 00:16, hendie said:

ah I see... you start off with the safe tools and get progressively dangerous as the build progresses.  Can't wait for the chainsaw whittling

Yes that's right, increasing hazard and danger at every step! Remember that on the Mig15 project the process ended up with my 10 year old daughter playing with a flame-thrower!

This is part of the reason I'm thinking of a name change. 'Reconcilor' makes me sound like some sort of peace-loving, wishy-washy, friendly person. In fact I'm an exciting, risk-taking, pipe-hitting, macho, take-no-prisoners kind of badass dude!😎😳 True story!

Hence I'm thinking I'll be 'Bandsaw Steve'. Don't think none of youse punks is gonna wanna be messin with him now! Eh! 

'Reconcilor' looks like this...🤓

'Bandsaw Steve' looks like this..😎

👍😀🙄😕🤔

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, longshanks said:

I bet you could whittle the Eiffel tower with a pocket knife :winkgrin:

Kev

Yep, 'Reconcilor' probably would use a pocket-knife. 🌸

'Bandsaw Steve' would probably whittle with an axe! 😎⛏

Or possibly a bandsaw?

Steve

• Like 1

:rofl:

Oh My!

7 hours ago, Reconcilor said:

'Bandsaw Steve' looks like this..😎

6 hours ago, Norman said:

Bandsaw badass sounds better mate !

I've just spat my cereal across the room.

Ned Kelly would be proud of you

Kev

• Like 2

Paperwork

Like most jobs, the best bits can't start until the paperwork is complete.

Start with a series of photocopies of the cross-section profiles, write the section number on each one so you know exactly which profile matches which section on the model. Stick them onto a series of small sheets of fairly strong paper. Arrange for the sheets to be laminated, my wife did these for me at her work. Thank you dear. 

IMG_6733

Now I can cut out each one and trim each to the level of the nominated construction level. This leaves a series that describes the full cross-sectional contour of the model.

IMG_6734

Carefully cut out each section, the photo shows a scalpel, but I actually tend to use scissors more.

IMG_6745

This leaves a series of cross-sectional templates that, since they are laminated, are rigid enough to be used to guide the carving process that is about to start.

IMG_6749

As you can see, each nominated section now has a template that describes the true cross-sectional shape that must be achieved. If the carving goes well we can make the saddle-tanks and pressure hull match the curvature of the template, then we will have a fair 3D representation of the overall hull.

IMG_6775

I always enjoy the carving stage so am hoping to have an update mid-week as I am keen to press on from here.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 10

On 26/06/2017 at 00:20, Martian Hale said:

A masterclass in wood carving!

Martian

Hmmmmmm....we shall see... 🙄😳🙁  I am far from being an expert wood-worker or wood carver.

The good thing about making models is that mistakes can usually be covered with plastic-wood, paint and so forth and I exploit that to the maximum. 'Real' wood workers leave the wood visible under varnish and shun such cheap camouflage techniques. 

Furthermore models don't have to be especially strong unlike, let's say, a chair or a table. You may notice there's absolutely no joinery in this project - that's basically because it's not required, and in any case I don't really know how to do it,

There will be no 'masterclasses' here - but I will continue to post photos and notes. 📷✍🏻😀

Steve

• Like 3

The chisels speak...

OK Longshanks let's see what they say...Over to the speaking chisels now...

Hello Steve could you please mark up in bright red paint all of the bits that we aren't supposed to remove. Please give all critical fitting surfaces some red paint so we don't accidentally dig into them.

IMG_6809

We are ready to start now. Please let us work on the sharp edges first as these are nice and easy. Please Steve, please don't hold me upside down like you are doing now....

IMG_6818

Please Steve, I'm still upside down... the bevelled part of me should be in contact with the wood not on top. I'm a scoop chisel - I'm supposed to make a gouge not a convex shape. Do you have any idea at all?

IMG_6814

OK - looks like we've got more work to do. There's still a large flat bit on the top of each saddle tank. It should be nice and evenly curved across the top.

IMG_6822

See what we mean Steve - the top of the tank has to be a lot more curved.

IMG_6823

Hey Steve, could you please put some scribbly pencil lines on the parts that still need to be carved down to the correct shape. 

IMG_6826

OK Steve - I think we're done now this is close enough for a first rough-out. Over to you now.

Thanks chisels - I always enjoy talking to you all. Sorry about holding you upside down - I sometimes get a bit confused like that.

Anyway, looks like you did a good job. Here's one of the two saddle tanks, roughly rounded out.  Let's put everything together that we have so far and see where we are up to.

IMG_6830

Ahhh! Not too bad.

IMG_6838

In the next post the talking chisels and I will have a crack at the pressure hull.

See you then,

Bandsaw Steve and the talking chisels.

• Like 7

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:hmmm: We've not been taking our medication  have we..................

On serious note, can I order a set of chisels, plane, bench sander etc. All to have a mind/mouth of their own. :winkgrin:

You should be on stage / lecture tour / padded cell ..... not sure which but an entertaining lesson in carving.

I can see now where all this devil worship has been leading and you're not actually trying to start a fire by rubbing strange shaped sticks together

Kev

37 minutes ago, Reconcilor said:

Bandsaw Steve and the talking chisels.

There has got to be your new monica in there somewhere

• Like 1

Enough of the chattering chisels

Right - enough of the talking chisels nonsense - this is a serious business this making wooden submarines business this...! :penguin:

Now we have to shape the pressure hull. And look! I've just noticed! Once again I'm holding this stupid chisel upside down! :tmi:

IMG_6843

So, there you go - undeniable evidence that I'm certainly not an expert at this stuff- proof positive that this is no master-class. This isn't some sort of false modesty - I'm just making the point that none of this work requires a diploma in woodworking, all you need is good wood, sharp chisels and a bit of patience.  If you have those things, you too can make a mess on the carpet, just like I did! The photo below is actually quite instructive - look how this liquidambar wood has just rolled off under the chisel, it's more like peeling an apple than woodwork.

IMG_6845

By the way - just in case there is a common misconception out there - at no time in this entire construction have I used a mallet or a hammer to drive the chisel; you simply don't need it with this high-quality wood and this small-scale, slow work. All of the carving is purely by hand, the chisel is mostly driven by gently 'leaning' on it and applying a bit of body weight.

Anyway, here's the result so far. Once again it might not be absolutely 'laser accurate' - but it's reasonably symmetrical, so any inaccuracies aren't glaringly obvious to the average observer.

IMG_6848

And from another angle - if you look at the forward section of the pressure hull you can clearly make out individual chisel marks. That's not a problem as they will sand out easily.

IMG_6850

And another view. I like this one - to me this looks very 'submariney'

IMG_6852

That's it for tonight.

As always thanks very much for following along - all signs of interest and comments of any type are most warmly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Reconcilor. AKA - Bandsaw Steve...

• Like 10

Taking on a lithe slinky shape

Not bad for someone merely leaning on their chisels.........:winkgrin:

:hmmm:Now if we could get our council workman to achieve something whilst leaning on their shovels/brooms the world would be a better place.

Kev

• Like 3