JHF

Hi,

Having delved into Britmodeller several times in the last five years and registered this is the first time I've actually inputted anything on the site. So it's a moment I have been looking forward to and one where I will not be disappointed as the site is fascinating and the help offered there is wonderful. Even though I have not inputted anything myself I have read other people's questions and answers and comments many times and these have helped me in my modelling.

I was a regular modeller when a child and up to the age of sixteen, enjoying making chiefly Airfix aircraft and military vehicles. After a hiatus of 12 years I returned to the hobby after picking up an aircraft modelling magazine from a newsagent. The door began to open for me for a return to the hobby and soon it dawned on me how much it had grown since I'd left it. I'm still a hand brush painter and am happy with most of my modelling, but would love to do more airbrushing. Some poor experiences in the past has made me wary of airbrushing and whilst they say a good workman doesn't blame his tools, that is what I put the blame on honestly. I didn't get much joy with aerosol cans for air pressure and then bought what turned out to be an inferior compressor and airbrush made in China. However, that is behind me and I have bought a quality airbrush and compressor from Sparmax. I will use it for the first time on my next model which is going to be the Airfix 1/24 scale Spitfire V. The exterior surfaces of this type of large scale model will offer good practise for airbrushing.

I like modelling chiefly aircraft of every popular scale (bar 1/144) and figures and vehicles in 1/35 scale. I also like to set some of my models in a diorama. I have visited the annual Model World Show in Telford in November four times but have never displayed. I want to continue to grow in the hobby.

• Like 1

Welcome JHF. There's nothing wrong with using the "hairy stick" to paint your models, but if you have the spraying equipment, persevere with it. It's all down to practice, plus make sure that your airbrush is clean before using. Other factors that can have an effect on your spraying are what type of paint you use, how it's mixed (with thinners) and the pressure that your spraying at. It also helps greatly to have a moisture trap in the air line as that can be an absolute bu**er if it gets splattered out onto the model.

Enjoy your modelling.

John.

Welcome to BM JHF. You wont regret your decision to get a descent compressor, just practise, practise, practise. There will be much swearing along the way, but if you don't chuck it out the window, it will eventually be worth the effort. Looking forward to seeing your models and your dio's

Gorby